Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What would you grab?

This is a scenario when posed with two similar weapons where, when absent of all other weapons, intruder(s) are in your house, you awake to a loud noise downstairs. You have two guns on your nightstand. The guns are specified by the poster. The goal of this exercise is to be able to gain outside perspective to help shed any bias. This can be used to help specify which platform is preferred, or which caliper is preferred. Please be as specific in your scenario as possible.

When posting a response to two weapons, please post clearly the weapon you choose, and why. If there are caveats, you can also specify those.

I'll go first.

CZ Scorpion EVo3 9.3" SBR with folding stock vs PS90 SBR 10.2", all other accessories are comparable.

Personally, it's a toss-up. The evo has platform familiarity for clearing jams, stock folding for additional concealment. PS90 has 5.7 armor penetration(not sure if necessary), additional capacity for additional combatants and maneuverability in enclosed spaces.

(Berks County)

Default Re: What would you grab?

Quote Originally Posted by JaySmith View Post
    This is a scenario when posed with two similar weapons where, when absent of all other weapons, intruder(s) are in your house, you awake to a loud noise downstairs. You have two guns on your nightstand. The guns are specified by the poster. The goal of this exercise is to be able to gain outside perspective to help shed any bias. This can be used to help specify which platform is preferred, or which caliper is preferred. Please be as specific in your scenario as possible.

When posting a response to two weapons, please post clearly the weapon you choose, and why. If there are caveats, you can also specify those.

I'll go first.

CZ Scorpion EVo3 9.3" SBR with folding stock vs PS90 SBR 10.2", all other accessories are comparable.

Personally, it's a toss-up. The evo has platform familiarity for clearing jams, stock folding for additional concealment. PS90 has 5.7 armor penetration(not sure if necessary), additional capacity for additional combatants and maneuverability in enclosed spaces.
    On the weapons, I am unfamiliar with either of them, their characteristics and their accessories. I run mostly H&K and the only time I had a jam was when I used to keep it in a sock for disguise so an intruder wouldn't see it. When fired from inside a sock, it will stovepipe. On the caliper, I prefer digital.
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Chester County)

I would grab the CZ Scorpion Evo. The HD pistols in my home are loaded with sunsonic rounds - 9mm 147 gr. standard pressure and .38 spl. standard pressure. I'd have the Evo loaded subsonic and save what little bit of hearing I'd have left after having to fire the weapon indoors. I'm not familiar with either platform and have never fired a 5.7 caliber weapon.

the gun belt hanging on the bedpost: Ruger GP100 with 2 speed loaders and a flashlight
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Allegheny County)

This is like the Mike Glover podcast/yinztube where he discusses “Deliberate Actions vs. Driving Forces”…

Deliberate actions… I’m totally 10000% sure family is not home (they’re in Asia or Europe at other homes) and I see dudes breaking in on our cameras. I deliberately arm myself with SBR, initiate 911 call, take up cover, hopefully have armour and nods, monitor and make decisions. If they’re setting fire or I do need to move, then slow methodical CQB practices to get wherever I gotta go… then reevaluate. Avoid confrontation if possible and retreat, though ready to bring hell in very unfair ways if necessary.

Driving Forces… I’m awakened by a loud crashing sound/breaking glass and hear one of my daughters/wives scream somewhere else in our house: likely-naked me running toward scream with whatever weapon is closest. (Prob a pistol, maybe rifle). No time to pie corners and doors… driving forces dictate higher risk approaches.

(Cumberland County)

Me, ps90. I*m familiar with this platform as I have one. Noise be damned I*ll take the 50 rounds it can carry. I*m not saying it would take 50 but it*s nice to know you*ve got it. Compact, easy to maneuver with minimal recoil allowing for quick follow up shots. Ap capabilities mostly non existent with sporting ammo. Leo military ammo occasionally available at different venues if you want to pay the price. Wouldn*t want to have to explain the use of such in a shooting incident. Over penetration in my old home is a concern albeit a minor one. Plaster, lath full dimensional framing helps reduce that possibility. Let*s face it no one particular weapon is perfect for every scenario. Use what you have and are familiar with to the best of your abilities.

Are we supposed to pick our own two weapons or use the two you listed? In both scenarios I'd pick the PS90. Loaded with EA T6B, S4, or SS190, it's more than capable of taking down all but the most hardened intruders, while not over penetrating like a full rifle round would. 50 rounds, quick and accurate follow-up shots, with minimal recoil, it will get the job done. Only drawbacks are it's slow to reload and it's loud as fuck. A suppressor won't really help with the latter, so I will deal with the repercussions if I need to use it to defend me and mine.

That being said, if I'm in a hunkered down position within my house, waiting for the police to arrive, and there are intruders inside that I can see on camera standing outside the room I'm in, I may opt for my AK. I would have no issues with shooting through walls or doors if I knew where someone was on the other side. 7.62x39 is going to be a lot more effective at barrier penetration than 5.7x28. And in my house, those directions are backed by multiple walls and brick, not to mention closets full of clothes or linens, so less worried about overpenetration.

I think some people misunderstood the direction of this thread. The idea was, given two specific options, which one would you trust with your life and why. Compare the strengths and weaknesses of the two guns and get a different perspective that you might have otherwise overlooked. Different scenarios may have different strengths and weaknesses. You woudln't want to just sit at the top of your stairs with a barrett xm109 and vaporize everyone who crosses it's path. Mobility and capacity may be relevant in different scenarios.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    Are we supposed to pick our own two weapons or use the two you listed? In both scenarios I'd pick the PS90. Loaded with EA T6B, S4, or SS190, it's more than capable of taking down all but the most hardened intruders, while not over penetrating like a full rifle round would. 50 rounds, quick and accurate follow-up shots, with minimal recoil, it will get the job done. Only drawbacks are it's slow to reload and it's loud as fuck. A suppressor won't really help with the latter, so I will deal with the repercussions if I need to use it to defend me and mine.

That being said, if I'm in a hunkered down position within my house, waiting for the police to arrive, and there are intruders inside that I can see on camera standing outside the room I'm in, I may opt for my AK. I would have no issues with shooting through walls or doors if I knew where someone was on the other side. 7.62x39 is going to be a lot more effective at barrier penetration than 5.7x28. And in my house, those directions are backed by multiple walls and brick, not to mention closets full of clothes or linens, so less worried about overpenetration.
    This is meant to be something ongoing. If you have two weapons you'd like to compare in a given scenario, feel free to post them.

One scenario where the ps90 would be weak is SHTF on the road, where you're unlikely to find extra ammo should you need it. Where 9mm is much more likely to be found/obtained. If things go south, 5.7 is going to be a weak point as far as availability. Even when it's available, it is expensive.

(Allegheny County)

I would always choose front caliper vs rear because the front does most of the braking.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast