Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default When should one manipulate their Safety/ De-cocker?

This is a bit of a spin off from another thread...

But when (and why) do you enable your decocker and/or manual safety?

My opinion is that if the guns is in your hand...the safety should be off...if it goes into the holster, the safety/ decocker should then be manipulated.

Where and when do YOU all choose to enable/ disable these features?

As you come on/ off your sights?
    As the gun enters/ leaves the holster?
    As you shift your attention to a task other than shooting the gun?

I'm interested in people's opinion, but also WHY they hold that opinion, and where they learned to do things this way.

Default Re: When should one manipulate their Safety/ De-cocker?

If I'm carrying a gun with a decocker/safety, I carry it in the holster safety off. Why? Because it's as safe as a revolver in that condition, safer than a Glock or SA XD, and because it's how I was trained to carry as an Air Force SP.

When I'm on the range or when I was at a match, I engage the safety anytime I'm moving, or when I finish firing a string and am evaluating targets. Why? Because it's safer that way, and the gun is still ready for immediate use.

At home, it sits chamber empty and safety on. My boy still can't manipulate the slides, so if the guns aren't on our body, that's how they sit. Revolvers are empty until we put them on.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by JoeWilliams View Post
    If I'm carrying a gun with a decocker/safety, I carry it in the holster safety off. Why? Because it's as safe as a revolver in that condition, safer than a Glock or SA XD, and because it's how I was trained to carry as an Air Force SP.
    Does this apply to SA only guns, like the 1911, for you? Also, why do you say this is safer than a Glock or XD?
    When I'm on the range or when I was at a match, I engage the safety anytime I'm moving, or when I finish firing a string and am evaluating targets. Why? Because it's safer that way, and the gun is still ready for immediate use.
    By immediate use, do you mean AFTER you take the safety back off?
    At home, it sits chamber empty and safety on. My boy still can't manipulate the slides, so if the guns aren't on our body, that's how they sit. Revolvers are empty until we put them on.
    There's a whole 'nother ball of wax...I'm not going near storage in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by synergy View Post
    Does this apply to SA only guns, like the 1911, for you? Also, why do you say this is safer than a Glock or XD?
    By immediate use, do you mean AFTER you take the safety back off?

There's a whole 'nother ball of wax...I'm not going near storage in this thread.
    Oops, no, not single action autos. I was thinking of DA/SA guns, like the M9 or the Model 59 Cathy just bought. The reason I think it's safer than the Glock or the XD is simply because of the heavier trigger pull. Yes, booger picker should be off the trigger, but if one allows stress to overcome smarts the heavier pull of a DA/SA auto basically gives you the extra margin that a revolver dose. That said, I don't think the XDs or Glocks are inherently unsafe, else I wouldn't have let my wife buy one.

And yes, I was trained to take the safety back off after decocking a DA/SA gun. When shooting a DA/SA that didn't have a decocker, like the PT99s I owned years ago, I handled it just like a 1911. Safety on when on the move, safety on until I'm ready to pull the trigger. PT99 never went in the holster cocked, but a 1911 should have safety on when in Condition One.

In my opinion, of course.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by synergy View Post
    This is a bit of a spin off from another thread...

But when (and why) do you enable your decocker and/or manual safety?

My opinion is that if the guns is in your hand...the safety should be off...if it goes into the holster, the safety/ decocker should then be manipulated.

Where and when do YOU all choose to enable/ disable these features?

As you come on/ off your sights?
    As the gun enters/ leaves the holster?
    As you shift your attention to a task other than shooting the gun?

I'm interested in people's opinion, but also WHY they hold that opinion, and where they learned to do things this way.
    I don't carry pistols with either of the above features, but if I did..

The sequence for me would be:
    draw and present to low ready
    safety off as pistol comes up onto target
    after shots pistol comes to low ready/compressed ready/whatever, safety off
    scan and asses with your head and eyes
    safety on/decock
    reholster

if moving from cover to cover I would engage the safety/decock before movement
    NRA Member
    GOA Life Member
    Moderator on www.m4carbine.net

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by JoeWilliams View Post
    And yes, I was trained to take the safety back off after decocking a DA/SA gun. When shooting a DA/SA that didn't have a decocker, like the PT99s I owned years ago, I handled it just like a 1911. Safety on when on the move, safety on until I'm ready to pull the trigger. PT99 never went in the holster cocked, but a 1911 should have safety on when in Condition One.
    I concur with this.
    NRA Member
    GOA Life Member
    Moderator on www.m4carbine.net

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Thekatar View Post
    I don't carry pistols with either of the above features, but if I did..

The sequence for me would be:
    draw and present to low ready
    safety off as pistol comes up onto target
    after shots pistol comes to low ready/compressed ready/whatever, safety off
    scan and asses with your head and eyes
    safety on/decock
    reholster

if moving from cover to cover I would engage the safety/decock before movement
    I don't carry them either, but I wouldn't rule it out in the future.

So, where you and I differ, is that you feel the safety should come off as the gun is moving from your ready position to the target...whereas I feel the safety should be off while IN the ready position?

I think we feel the safety/ decock should be manipulated at about the same time though, as we've made the decision to put the gun away.

(Bucks County)

Safety? Decocker? I have no use for guns with such infernal devices
    Snowflakes in Hell Blog
    Where There's Snow, There's Firepower
    http://snowflakesinhell.com

(York County)

It depends on the features of the handgun.

I don't like slide mounted safeties. I used to own handguns with them; I don't think I even own one now. Handguns with slide mounted safeties take a little more effort to manage. Not much, but they are different. Their operation takes some training and practice to use efficiently.

I practice and train with either a revolver, or a handgun with a frame mounted safety.

When drawing, any training I've taken teaches the safety comes off during the drawstroke. It goes back on during movement, that includes either a reholster, or movement with the gun out. When I used a Sig, the hammer was decocked before movement.

My best advice is take some quality training and then evaluate it for yourself.

Are you a master of the rules of mastered by them?
    West Shore Sportsmen's Association WSSA Home page

(Westmoreland County)

There are several circumstances to consider, the Presentation, Holstering, sights on target, sights off target and moving from point A to point B.

For the Presentation it depends on whether one is using a Four count or a Five count.

With the Four count, the safety on a single action auto (1911) is disengaged on Count Three.

With the Five count, some instructors teach disengaging the safety on a single action auto (1911) going from Count Four to Count Five while some teach it at Count 3. Count Four of the Five Count Presentation "sort of" simulates the Pistol at Low Ready / Safety Engaged. The safety is actually disengaged during the transition to Count Five and is "off" before the sights are on target.

Shots have been fired: As one goes to the Low Ready to scan and assess the safety is engaged. If another threat presents itself, the safety is disengaged coming from the Ready position to sights on target.

DA/SA autoloaders always decock going to Low Ready.

Holstering: It is assumed that one has performed a scan and assess and deemed the fight is over or a threat no longer exists. One would be at Low Ready with the safety engaged (DA/SA decocked) and Count back "3" - "2" - "1" into the holster.

Movement: Moving from point A to point B when NOT engaging a threat the safety is engaged and DA/SA autoloaders decock.

We teach carrying DA/SA autoloaders with the dingus (decocker) "Off Safe" so there is no manipulation of the dingus required during the Presentation.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast