Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Montgomery County)

Default My first reloads...... question?

I ran my first reloads ever today for 380. After about 7 mess ups and adjustments I'm pretty sure I got it to where it needs to be. I ran 20 rounds at that set up and they look good, they feed and cycle well through the pistol but..... I'm afraid to shoot them.... Is that normal?

I followed the instructions on http://www.hodgdon.com/ regarding min and max load for the powder I'm using (Win 231). I'm using a 95gr round nose bullet from Rodger's and according to my scale I was at roughly 3.1 - 3.2 grains (not sure if that is a large fluctuation or not)

I only have a little keltec p3at and I'd rather not find out the hard way I did something wrong and make it little tiny pieces...
    I mean I have no problem sitting them on the shelf for a while until I can get a beefier pistol to shoot them from lol

Think they will be ok or should I start over again?

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: My first reloads...... question?

I've been reloading for years, and to be honest, I still get a little nervous when trying out a new load! I would assume that's normal. The way I see it, being a little cautious is a good thing when it comes to making your own bullets.

As for the load you used... I looked on the Hodgdon site and for the bullet weight and powder you're using, it lists 3.2gr as max load. (you said you're loading at 3.1 - 3.2) Personally I'd use their starting load of 2.9 and work up from there. Most all my loads usually end up almost right between min and max loads. I rarely work that close to max load.

BUT, I see no reason to not shoot them. I gather from your post that you've already shot some of them? If that's the case, then obviously they work just fine. You may want to drop the charge on your next batch of reloads down a bit under max. Then again, you don't have much of a range with that caliber...

................ZRT Sector 1 Waterborne Operations & Sniper Unit.................

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Mc. View Post
    I've been reloading for years, and to be honest, I still get a little nervous when trying out a new load! I would assume that's normal. The way I see it, being a little cautious is a good thing when it comes to making your own bullets.

As for the load you used... I looked on the Hodgdon site and for the bullet weight and powder you're using, it lists 3.2gr as max load. (you said you're loading at 3.1 - 3.2) Personally I'd use their starting load of 2.9 and work up from there. Most all my loads usually end up almost right between min and max loads. I rarely work that close to max load.

BUT, I see no reason to not shoot them. I gather from your post that you've already shot some of them? If that's the case, then obviously they work just fine. You may want to drop the charge on your next batch of reloads down a bit under max. Then again, you don't have much of a range with that caliber...
    If I read his post correctly he loaded a mag and manually cycled them but did not shoot them.
    I have to agree here that I am a little cautious about new loads as well. I start low and work up to a load that works for me. You will be fine as long as all of your tolerances are good.
    ““Liberty is the right to choose. Freedom is the result of the right choice.””

-Anonymous

Jeff

There is not a lot of room in a .380 so the min & max is going to be close.

(Jefferson County)

Honestly, I think if you're not at least a little nervous to shoot a new load, you probably shouldn't reload. Fear is a normal, natural thing that keeps us cautious, and will help you keep your reloads high quality and consistent.

Remember, eye and ear protection!

(Warren County)

Quote Originally Posted by soup View Post

Think they will be ok or should I start over again?
    if you are nervous, spend $15 on a bullet puller, pull the boolits, re-bell the cases and and re-load them

An ACCURATE scale is essential to safety.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by markshere2 View Post
    if you are nervous, spend $15 on a bullet puller, pull the boolits, re-bell the cases and and re-load them

An ACCURATE scale is essential to safety.
    I'm picking up some additional stuff tonight. The scale is pretty accurate I just had a hard time reading it. I'm also picking up a digital scale tonight and I'll verify all the weights. If I feel they are questionable I'll redo them.

Thanks for all the help

(Montgomery County)

Success!!! I still have all my fingers.

I made 2 loads one "hot", one not so much. The Keltec really liked hotter loads and I was surprised with their accuracy. The lighter loads didn't perform as well and had a few stove pipes. I did have 3 rounds that forgot to go bang. They were the lighter loads.... not exactly sure what happened there... I'm hooked :-)

Quote Originally Posted by soup View Post
    Success!!! I still have all my fingers.

I made 2 loads one "hot", one not so much. The Keltec really liked hotter loads and I was surprised with their accuracy. The lighter loads didn't perform as well and had a few stove pipes. I did have 3 rounds that forgot to go bang. They were the lighter loads.... not exactly sure what happened there... I'm hooked :-)
    First batch I reloaded I held the gun as far away as possible pointed it in a safe direction looked away and fired. After the first shot I was OK, now I don't worry too much unless I switch powders.

I found the biggest thing with misfires is the primers are not seated all the way. I had a big problem with this. Check all of them and make sure the are recessed. I seat the hell out of all of mine and now I hardly ever have misfires.
    Any vote for a third party is a vote for a Democrat. You are the enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoder View Post
    First batch I reloaded I held the gun as far away as possible pointed it in a safe direction looked away and fired. After the first shot I was OK, now I don't worry too much unless I switch powders.

I found the biggest thing with misfires is the primers are not seated all the way. I had a big problem with this. Check all of them and make sure the are recessed. I seat the hell out of all of mine and now I hardly ever have misfires.
    That's most likely the problem with the misfires. You probably know this, but in case you don't- do not try to reseat the primer in an already loaded round. Either pull the bullet & do it, or pitch it.