Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default Does anyone know?

I recently purchased a sporterized 98 mauser. The barrel is a heavy target style with no taper 24" long. The rifle is chambered for 220 swift. I removed the barreled action for cleaning purposes, and noticed the barrel is stamped 220 allong the edge, and "J" in a circle on the bottom. I asked a few local dealers about the stamp, and most did not know. One said it was an inspection stamp, and annother said it could be for Jaeger. I did several searches online to no avail. So, I thought I'd ask here.

(Lawrence County)

Default Re: Does anyone know?

Pictures?

-Chaz
    I like guns... And boobs...

(Venango County)

Quote Originally Posted by newbie308 View Post
    I recently purchased a sporterized 98 mauser. The barrel is a heavy target style with no taper 24" long. The rifle is chambered for 220 swift. I removed the barreled action for cleaning purposes, and noticed the barrel is stamped 220 allong the edge, and "J" in a circle on the bottom. I asked a few local dealers about the stamp, and most did not know. One said it was an inspection stamp, and annother said it could be for Jaeger. I did several searches online to no avail. So, I thought I'd ask here.
    Sorry I can not help you definitively.

But J = Jaeger makes some sense. Jaeger is German for hunter.

ETA = bolded descriptions which matches with the possible German translation to HUNTER.
    Last edited by TaePo; February 3rd, 2009 at 03:39 PM.
    It is you. You have all the weapons that you need. Now fight. --Sucker Punch

(Bucks County)

I didn't take photo's while disassembled, but here are a few of the rifle. I know the stock is not from Jaeger's shop since it was not bedded, and the cheek peice does not have a shadow line. The stock is nicely hand checkerd, but no border which was typical of Jaeger's work.
    Attached Images Attached Images

(Berks County)

Jaeger is not necessarily a shop, it could be a stamp that reflects that the rifle was modified for hunting purposes since Jaeger in German translates to hunter in English.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

(Bucks County)

I do unserstand that Jaeger translates to hunter in German. However, I live a relatively short distance from where Paul Jaeger's gunsmith shop was in Jenkintown. I guess that I'd expect the chances of finding a rifle worked on by that shop to be greater due to the proximity. Then again, I am less interested in the details of German translations, and more interested in knowing what barrel manufacturer or gun smith would use a stamp consisting of a capitol J surrounded by a circle. the marking is approximately 1/4 inch diameter and it is located bottom dead center of the chamber portion of the barrel near the recoil lug on the receiver. Thank you!

(Venango County)

Well, get over to Jaeger's then! Inquiring minds want to know.

BTW, is a Mauser considered a 'Maus' gun?? j/k.

Quote Originally Posted by newbie308 View Post
    I do unserstand that Jaeger translates to hunter in German. However, I live a relatively short distance from where Paul Jaeger's gunsmith shop was in Jenkintown. I guess that I'd expect the chances of finding a rifle worked on by that shop to be greater due to the proximity. Then again, I am less interested in the details of German translations, and more interested in knowing what barrel manufacturer or gun smith would use a stamp consisting of a capitol J surrounded by a circle. the marking is approximately 1/4 inch diameter and it is located bottom dead center of the chamber portion of the barrel near the recoil lug on the receiver. Thank you!
    The guy was trying to help you. You will find a lot of that here on this board. Very friendly people giving the best info that they have. Welcome.
    Jules

(Venango County)

I am not an expert, but armed with some google-fu:

It seems there are two different bores, one S and one J. Maybe this has something to do with it. It seems J is also referred to alot when the subject of sporterized Mausers come into play.

"I have got one, and indeed these Sakos are 8mmI - .318" instead of S-bore .323", as one could expect by post-WWII rifles."

--per another discussion group.

It seems the J barrel is associated with .318 rather than S (.323) (S being much more common). There was also discussion on finding ammo being difficult. I do not know if this is the case or not. I do have a Kraag 30-40 and that is harder to find now-a-days as well; so it's possible.

(Bucks County)

It is a .220 Swift so the J or S bore does not figure into the equation. If it was a rifle built by Paul Jaegar it would be so stamped on the barrel. I too lived close to his shop. Some fine firearms were there for sale. The shop closed a number of years ago.

Jeff
    NRA Benefactor member
    NRA 2nd Amendment Foundation
    Colt Collectors Association
    Browning Collectors Association
    Sharps Arms Collectors Association
    SASS Association

SANS PEUR et SANS REPROACHE