Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

View Poll Results: Which location would be best for the safe?

Voters
55. You may not vote on this poll
  • Basement

23 41.82%
  • 2nd Floor

27 49.09%
  • Buried in the back yard so the men in black cant find them

5 9.09%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Where would you place your safe?

OK, I'm in the process of shopping for a 14 gun safe & had some question regarding the location of the safe. I really only have 2 options, so I'm wondering which would be better

Option #1 - I can put the safe in the basement, bolted to the concrete floor...the issue here is that the basement in very damp all year round. If we get heavy rains we actually get water seeping up thru the floor. I'm thinking the dampness here would not be good for guns or ammo.

Option #2 - On the 2nd floor in our bedroom closet. This is a cape cod style house w/o central air - So the up stairs get prety hot during the summer months when we're not there to turn onthe AC. Its as humid as the outside air, but nothing too brutally hot. The safe could be bolted to the wood floor & maybe a 2x4 wall stud. I'm thinking the heat isnt great for the ammo or guns, but still better then the dampness of the basement.

Unfortunately there really isnt any room on the ground floor of our house to put the safe, so these are my only options.

What do you guys think?
    If you're not outraged & disgusted, you are simply not paying atttention

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Where would you place your safe?

Quote Originally Posted by CDyer77 View Post

Option #2 - On the 2nd floor in our bedroom closet.

I like this option

(Montgomery County)

Are you married? If not, you could do the non conventional safe. Get a secure lock box, bolt it to the floor in the living room (ground floor), layer the guns in the box, and put a throw over top of it so it looks like a coffee table.

If that isn't an option, i like option 2. I don't like to put stuff in a damp basement.

(Lancaster County)

It sounds like any location may have humidity issues so some sort of desiccant in the safe is critical.

I personally prefer the basement location because security is better bolted to the concrete. You could build an elevated concrete pad, 3" to 4" thick to mount the safe above any possible high water level.

Seal the lugs with silicone and rubber washers in case the water rises further than the pad. That should give you another couple inches to the bottom of the door.

You could also run a dehumidifier in the basement as well... although that will use a constant stream of electricity.

I would check the guns often for the first few months to make sure the rust prevention is working.

(York County)

Mine is in the basement, but for you the best option is probably the second floor, during the summer, I wouldnt think heat is going to hurt the firearms, get yourself a heat rod for 30 dollers just in case though. Or dessicant like others mentioned.

I can testify on how much of a pain it is to get a safe up a flight of steps though!!!!

we needed a winch and 3 guys to get my stepfathers upstairs and that wasnt even a very big one because of the sheer wheight on the floor with a bigger safe was a concern
    The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities.
    Ayn Rand

(Philadelphia County)

I would say basement.
    Shop for a safe that has a rubber gasket to make it air tight.
    Then search online for scilia gel packets. You can buy one pound bags of the stuff for cheap. Replace the bag every 3 months.

Quote Originally Posted by coat4gun View Post
    It sounds like any location may have humidity issues so some sort of desiccant in the safe is critical.

I personally prefer the basement location because security is better bolted to the concrete. You could build an elevated concrete pad, 3" to 4" thick to mount the safe above any possible high water level.

Seal the lugs with silicone and rubber washers in case the water rises further than the pad. That should give you another couple inches to the bottom of the door.

You could also run a dehumidifier in the basement as well... although that will use a constant stream of electricity.

I would check the guns often for the first few months to make sure the rust prevention is working.
    He beat me to it. My reasoning for the basement is so as not to take up closet space. The coffee table idea, I remember seeing someone on here who did just that and sent pictures. Good idea too. For me, my basement is my bedroom...the best of both worlds.

(Monroe County)

Tactically speaking, the 2nd floor would be the best place to store your weapons. You'd be able to keep high ground and blast intruders coming up from the stairs and out of the windows.

If there's anything we've learned in zombie movies, we know the basement is a bad idea..
    Quote Originally Posted by headcase View Post
    let them eventually bring the FBI to kill my wife and son over fucking chickens....

Trust me! Stay away from basement or attic storage. I like the first floor solution of using a chest-type safe with a cushion on top. You can get a security chest from a company like, KNAACK and have a local cabinet shop make up interior gun racks and shelves for you.

I've done this in the past and had very good luck with the cabinet work, too. Just takes a little imagination, a few layout drawings, and your wife or a seamstress can make up a nice foam cushion and cloth boarder in order to cover the chest. You might, also, be surprised to discover that the total cost is way less than what you'll pay for a quality gun safe. (The only thing you won't get is fire protection; but, most forms of fire protection are largely ephemeral, anyway.)

My other suggestion would be to forget about chemical desiccants; all of them are a real nuisance to maintain and keep dry. Instead use a high speed drill to cut a small hole at the bottom of one vertical side in order to run an electric cord for a product like a, Golden Rod safe humidifier.

At the present time I keep my gun safe on the first floor and right next to our bedroom. It's set up in such a way that, if I open the door, I can use it as, 'strong cover' for a late night gunfight. (We don't have children in the house. Consequently, I always turn in for the night with the gun safe door unlocked!)

If you keep your guns in the basement, then, you might have to fight your way to that basement in order to adequately defend your home. Whether there are children in the house, or not, you'll also have to keep any gun safe in a remote location constantly locked, too.

The last thing I'll suggest is to stay away from gun safes with electronic door locks. I bought my current safe from a large manufacturer. Before I made the purchase I asked the manufacturer's representative; 'What is the most common fault or complaint that your company has to deal with about its product?' He thought for a moment and replied; 'Our most common complaint, and the reason for most of our house calls, is some sort of problem with the electronic door lock.'

There you have it. Good luck!
    Last edited by G21.45; August 28th, 2009 at 10:06 AM.

second floor ONLY if you can build a steel I beam brace for it so it doesnt ever fall through the floor in a fire or flood situation possibly killing someone...
    This Space For Rent

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast