Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Quick Question (Corrosive Primers)

I bought some surplus ammo for my 91/30 (7.62X54r) at one store and the owner said it was corrosive.
    Yesterday I bought some more ammo from a different store that was marked non-corrosive. When I got it home and opened it up it is the same exact ammo I bought from the first guy.
    How do I tell who is bs-ing me?

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Quick Question (Corrosive Primers)

Easy, treat it all as corrosive. Just spray it down good with windex after you are done shooting and then clean it like normal when you get it home.

I think all surplus 7.62 x 54r is corrosive.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by 7998 View Post
    I bought some surplus ammo for my 91/30 (7.62X54r) at one store and the owner said it was corrosive.
    Yesterday I bought some more ammo from a different store that was marked non-corrosive. When I got it home and opened it up it is the same exact ammo I bought from the first guy.
    How do I tell who is bs-ing me?
    Was the non corrosive in a marked manufacturer box, or was it in some sort of bag? Just clean the bore, bolt, and all other parts with water first. Then follow up with your normal cleaning routine after that.

Brad

Quote Originally Posted by Dextrimental View Post
    Was the non corrosive in a marked manufacturer box, or was it in some sort of bag?

Brad
    No box it was wrapped in paper.

(Monroe County)

The paper wrapped stuff is usually from eastern com block countries, like Poland, Hungary, Romania, etc and is considered corrosive.

(Lehigh County)

Default What Guns4Fun said-

It's all corrosive. Treat everything from the Eastern Bloc or satellite countries as such- the Boards are chock-full of stories of those who did not.
    All you need is some hot water to pour down the barrel before you clean the weapon. I've been shooting corrosive ammo for many, many years and never had a problem, but don't let the rifle or pistol sit overnight.

Quote Originally Posted by 7998 View Post
    No box it was wrapped in paper.
    This sounds a -lot- like surplus military ammunition, which in the Eastern Euro context is almost always corrosive. So is berdan priming.

Without a chemical analysis of the primers for lead styphnate, the next easiest test is

• Select a sample round. Pull a bullet.
    • Dump powder out.
    • Chamber primed casing in rifle.
    • Fire at steel plate, distance under 1 inch.
    • Clean rifle immediately with corrosive primer cleaner (example, another).
    • Inspect blast area on plate for corrosion every day for the next week or two.
    • Rust spot=corrosive primer.

How about posting a picture of the ammunition, the packaging & headstamp in particular?
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

Hello. It most likely is corrosive, but that is not a problem. As said, clean with Windex or like product and then clean & oil as normal. Just do it as soon as possible. Make sure you clean the bolt face, ammo hold and bayonet also. Enjoy affordable ammo!

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by PA Rifleman View Post
    This sounds a -lot- like surplus military ammunition, which in the Eastern Euro context is almost always corrosive. So is berdan priming.
    Not to sidetrack the conversation, but berdan primed rounds are not necessarily corrosive; it's just that MOST are. The Swiss used a berdan primed round (the 7.5 Swiss) for their K31 rifles that is not corrosive. Berdan vs. boxer does not matter in that context. It's the priming compounds that make a cartridge corrosive or not.

(Chester County)

I don't even consider corrosive vs non-corrosive with com-bloc ammo anymore. To me its all corrosive, and its a non-issue as long as you don't drop the gun into the bag at the end of the day and decide to clean it a month from now. Those who do that are the ones who post threads crying about corrosive ammo. "Well, dumbass what did you expect?"

Make yourself a little range juice to dump onto a patch, then run it down the bore a few times, and pour some on your bolt and wipe it off. Then when you get home, clean as normal then no worries.

Its no different than the procedures for cleaning a muzzleloader, and the golden rule is, clean it today it'll be clean tomorrow. Put it off until tomorrow, buy a new gun.
    Last edited by Poonie; December 7th, 2009 at 01:48 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast