Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first AR-15

(Northampton County)

Default My first AR-15

So I wanted to build it from scratch, to learn about the mechanics as I went along. Unfortunately I changed my mind last minute because the parts and tools weren't a part of my christmas season budget.

So I bought a fully assembled DPMS carbine, which I've been disecting ever since it entered the house..

Could someone enlighten me on the free float tube subject? I'm going to replace the hand guard and have read alot of posts that end with "get yourself an FF". I understand the concept of the gas tube but can't find any good documentation online regarding the free float tubes. The whats and whys, benefits are good too..

Also, I think I may have been mislead when purchasing the weapon. With an 11.5" barrel and a 5.5" flash hider, I asked the obvious question "How hard is it to change the barrel out on these?" and got a response like, "No problem if you have a 20,000lb press. Do yourself a favor and just buy a different upper.".

I have no problem doing that in the future. I wouldn't mind some crazy scoped 24" that can be changed in a matter of seconds. But in the meantime, that answer isn't acceptable.

From the manuals / videos I've watched, it actually looks pretty simple and basic to change. Also the tools looked pretty basic, vise, upper holder, barrel wrench, and 20 minutes?

Am I missing something?

Please note, I am fairly new to guns and have not built anything in the past. However, I've built plenty of houses, cars, and networks in my short but developing life so I think my common sense is up to par. Thanks for any input provided.

(Chester County)

Default Re: My first AR-15

no sir you arnt missing anything just follow what the video shows you changing a barrel isnt hard at all....it can be if the barrel nut wont budge but there are tricks for that such as putting the upper in the freezer

Changing a barrel is easy if you pick up the right tools and do a little research first.

I've taken mine off twice now.

(Northampton County)

Changing the barrel seems pretty easy after a few days of reading.. Maybe Santa will bring me the tools to do so.

As for the free float discussion posted in that link.. HOLY ACRONYM! Any books someone might recommend?

(Allegheny County)

Go to brownells. They have a step by step video documentary on changing, assembling, anything and everything to do with an AR 15.

Spend the half hour or so, watch them all. And you won't wonder about any of this stuff ever again.

They outline the tools, torque specs, things you may want or need. If you're new to the AR game its extremely helpful.

(Northampton County)

Not sure how i missed the videos on their site.. A+ material. Much applause.

(Allegheny County)

I figured you would appreciate that. I know I sure did.

AR stuff is cake walk. I've had the gun maybe 2 weeks and had it all apart 2 times now fooling with little stuff. I bought silly little parts so I would have to tear it all down to get more familiar with it. The free float / barrel job is next on my list. As soon as YHM gets the diamond CAR FFT back in stock. I'm going to do that and switch my upper receiver out for one with a dust cover. Figure that's a good time to replace all that.

I'm far too paranoid to not have the dust cover. So that shit needs dealt with very soon. Probably use the non-dust cover upper for a dedicated .22 or something. To keep shit from building up in my 5.56 one.

you know the Daniel defense OMEGA rail is Free floating and you dont have to remove the barrel nut

(Allegheny County)

How does that work?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast