Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default 1911 Idiot Scratches

I've heard about the dreaded 1911 idiot scratch from trying to put the slide release lever back in. I have not done it myself yet! Somehow, I manage to fiddle it back in position without scratching the frame or slide. But there has to be a proven method for doing this without scratching! For the life of me, I couldn't tell you how I did it...it just sorta popped back in. Anyone know the sacred technique for avoiding the Idiot Scratch?

My 1911 style Ruger P89 is sweet in this aspect...the slide release/take down lever never comes out of the frame. It just slides out to the left and hangs there until you snap it all back together.

(Centre County)

Default Re: 1911 Idiot Scratches

Hmmm.

I have no idea how to explain this without pictures, but when I put the slide release lever back in, I just worry about getting it started through and catching the barrel link. After its through I make sure the notch in the slide is lined up with the tab on the release. Theres's a spring loaded pin that keeps the whole thing together, I locate the tab just under the pin. Slight upward and inward pressure and it just pops in there without a scratch. Its just something I learned myself. Maybe somebody has another tip.

Not sure if this helps or not. I hope it does. I suppose if I were creative I could take some pics and post them so that it makes more sense.

I feel for you. Decades ago the dealer put a nice circular scratch on the slide of my new 82 Belgian Hi Power right after I paid for it. Since the slide spring's blind in Hi Powers, the slide release lever can only be installed with the recoil spring installed.

With 1911s I leave the recoil spring out so the slide will remain in whatever position I leave it. Note: the recoil spring guide *is* installed. Then I align the barrel link, sometimes from the other side depending how things are arranged and the view I have. Then with the slide release shaft in the bore (properly or from the wrong side but acting as a dummy shaft) I move the slide back until the relief cut on the slide is aligned with the hold in the receiver. Again, with the slide recoil spring out it's very easy to so, and remains where you leave it.

At this point I pull the slide release lever out if on the opposite side and push it most of the way in. For the last 1/4" or so where there's a scratch risk, I gently press up and in, using the slide release camming surface to push the detente pin back in. When it drops in, it's just a matter of pulling the slide forward into battery and pushing the spring & plunger ("plug") into place, swing the barrel bushing over and locking it.

See diagram, below.

It's probably not the original USGI-approved technique, as I recall reading somewhere that removed components were intended to assist further disassembly, and I can think of anything right now that would have about the same diameter as the slide stop shaft diameter.

(Allegheny County)

Idiot scratch?

Hey! I think I have one of those on my Colt Pony!
    (Guess what idiot put it there?)

Second time I tore it apart to clean it, I ended up with a circular scratch on the slide. Ticked me off.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Centre County)

At this point I pull the slide release lever out if on the opposite side and push it most of the way in. For the last 1/4" or so where there's a scratch risk, I gently press up and in, using the slide release camming surface to push the detente pin back in.

I think PAriflemen explained it a little better maybe.

(Bucks County)

Those of us who collect or enjoy the 1911, all have atleast one that we have scratched, most likely the first one we ever owned. I have heard the scratch called the "new guy" scratch. Sounds less critical than idiot scratch. We all learned the hard way. When I look at my SA GI 1911, the scratch really pisses me off. I should have known...Mike45

(Wayne County)

Red face Re: 1911 Idiot Scratches

I got one of them on my Kimber carry piece but I think it gives it character

(Perry County)

got one on my first and only 1911, a SA Mil-Spec.
    Did it within about the 1st 10 minutes after I brought it home. I like to take my pistols apart when I get them so I know how. Put the scratch on the frame from right behind the trigger to the top of the grip. Pissed me off.

(Berks County)

I have a suggestion. Note however that I don't own a 1911, so I have no idea if it'll make sense, but here goes:

Have you guys even seen those clear plastic screen protectors they make for PDAs and cellphones? You could buy the cheapest pack of those you can find, cut one up into a piece the right size, and put in on the slide underneath where the slide release lives. That way when you reassemble, if the release rubs against the slide, it won't mark it up. When you're done, just pull it up with your fingernail.

Does that make sense, or am I not understanding the problem correctly?
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Lycoming County)

Quote Originally Posted by arrrrgh15 View Post
    Hmmm.

I have no idea how to explain this without pictures, but when I put the slide release lever back in, I just worry about getting it started through and catching the barrel link. After its through I make sure the notch in the slide is lined up with the tab on the release. Theres's a spring loaded pin that keeps the whole thing together, I locate the tab just under the pin. Slight upward and inward pressure and it just pops in there without a scratch. Its just something I learned myself. Maybe somebody has another tip.

Not sure if this helps or not. I hope it does. I suppose if I were creative I could take some pics and post them so that it makes more sense.
    It would take a half a page to explain something that takes 2sec to do

Thankfully there are two helpful videos HERE that will clear this up.
    "Happiness, is a warm gun." -St. John of Liverpool

1911 Curmudgeon

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast