Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default New Bill Asks For Cameraphones To Go Clickety Clack

New Bill Asks For Cameraphones To Go Clickety Clack

Smile, say cheese and hold that pose till you hear the 'click'. A new bill introduced in the Congress by New York Republican Rep. Peter King requires mobile phones with digital cameras "to make a sound" when a photograph is taken.

The move is part of the 'Camera Phone Predator Alert Act' and the idea is to ensure privacy and safety of the public, especially children, claims the bill.

"Congress finds that children and adolescents have been exploited by photographs taken in dressing rooms and public places with the use of a camera phone," says the draft of the bill, which was introduced earlier this month.

If enacted the bill would require any mobile phone in the US to make a sound "audible within a reasonable radius of the phone whenever a photograph is taken with the camera in such phone." A mobile phone manufactured after the date the bill is enacted will have no way of disabling or silencing the sound.

The idea is not as astounding as it seems.Japan already requires all cameraphones including the iPhone to make an audible noise when taking a photograph.

But chances this bill will pass in the U.S. in its current form? Near zero. It has no co-sponsors and hasn't seen much traction. But if it does, be prepared for clicktones to be the next big thing after ringtones.

(next up, when you fart, it has to be audible, after all people should have a warning if their senses are to be offended)
    "Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God! I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death! " - Patrick Henry

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: New Bill Asks For Cameraphones To Go Clickety Clack

Meh, I really don't have a problem with that.. Bigger things to worry about lol

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Morel42 View Post
    Meh, I really don't have a problem with that.. Bigger things to worry about lol
    There are bigger things to worry about, but it's still a bullshit law. How many fucking laws do we need? And the fact we do have bigger things to worry about is part of what pisses me off about this. Our fucking "leaders" don't have better thing to do than introduce more bullshit legislation regulating us within an inch of our lives? This is NOT what our government was instituted to do and exceeds government's legitimate reach (of course that ship sailed a long time ago).

We got assholes in Jersey and Connecticut trying to ban smoking in your own car. Sure it's all "small stuff", but the cumulative weight is oppressive and burdensome. And it's the same mentality that allows our government to jail millions for strictly personal decisions like drug use and allows them to pass more gun control laws. Enough already!
    "When law becomes despotic, morals are relaxed, and vice versa."-- Honore de Balzac, The Wild Ass's Skin...huh, huh..Balzac...Wild Ass...huh, huh

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene V. Debs View Post
    There are bigger things to worry about, but it's still a bullshit law. How many fucking laws do we need? And the fact we do have bigger things to worry about is part of what pisses me off about this. Our fucking "leaders" don't have better thing to do than introduce more bullshit legislation regulating us within an inch of our lives? This is NOT what our government was instituted to do and exceeds government's legitimate reach (of course that ship sailed a long time ago).

We got assholes in Jersey and Connecticut trying to ban smoking in your own car. Sure it's all "small stuff", but the cumulative weight is oppressive and burdensome. And it's the same mentality that allows our government to jail millions for strictly personal decisions like drug use and allows them to pass more gun control laws. Enough already!
    Well apparently it has something to do with cell phones being used for upskirt pictures and changing room type stuff..

So people know if a picture is being taken.. But like I said, most cameras do that by default anyways..

(Lehigh County)

but still another pointless law. how many tells of millions of digital cameras are already in circulation?

and folks still wishing to use them without other people knowing are just going to switch to video instead of stills.

waste of time, money, and energy.
    The last thing I want to do is hurt you... but believe me, it's on the damned list.

No, they have a good point...The children, please think of the children!
    Give me a break, the children? Really? An audible sound is going to keep "the children" safe from preditors, LOL. Some people (the people running the country) have too much time on their hands.
    If your really into snaping changing room photos of children I'm sure it wouldn't take much to modify your phone not to make the sound, I could go on but, really do I need to. I wonder how many millions of dollars this process will cost before it is put into law.

That would be nice if thats all it took, a beep to stop pedophiles cold in their tracks.
    In order to get intelligent answers you must speak intelligently.

(Philadelphia County)

Buy Cell Phone camera.

Disable external speaker.

Point up-skirt and take a picture.

Law rendered futile.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

Quote Originally Posted by LorDiego01 View Post
    Buy Cell Phone camera.

Disable external speaker.

Point up-skirt and take a picture.

Law rendered futile.
    yep.

it's like making a law saying that you can't rig a cellphone as an explosives detonation switch. Anyone who's ever messed with electronics could figure it out in under an hour, most of which is spent taking the casing off the phone without damaging the internals.

It's a matter of snipping a wire or unsoldering a lead to disable that speaker. Someone really inclined could put a switch on it....or if it's a newer model phone - hack the firmware and disable output to the speaker.

(Montgomery County)

I agree with everyone here but Morel. No surprise there.

Another stupid law created by the corrupt and useless pricks we keep electing. Another option a potential perv would have to bypass this, is to simply buy a small camera. Duh? Are they going to force manufacturers of all cameras to make them go click too?
    You can never have enough horsepower or ammunition.

(Bucks County)

Laugh if you want but I'm going to be rich selling my PreBan Cameras Phones after this law passes!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast