Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IDENTITY THEFT!

(Clarion County)

Default IDENTITY THEFT!

In 1982 , I was working outside of Richmond Va.I was head rigger and had to build some cat walks under Lee bridge over the James river.While I was working , I left my walet at the motel I was staying.Sometimes I'm hanging up-side down on ropes and things and did not want to loose my ID.That day ,someone broke into my room and took everything.

1988 , Down in Fl. Rigging some big sphere on a 30 story condo.Driving home , I get pulled over by a LE. Burnd out break light .He comes back from his car , draws on me hand cuffs , the whole deal.Says out standing warrent VA attempted murder , two DUI's etc. I'm like no , dude , you got the wrong guy.Had to get a lawyer and fight for my friggin life.
    I had to go back all those years and prove where I'd been , pay stubs , tax returns , etc.Took over a year and half.
    They drop all charges when they get a picture of this guy.They didn't help me do anything.
    They tell me I got to change my name so I don't keep coming up this guy
    that became me. I drop my middle initial and think I'm ok.
    Go to the nearset gun shop and try to buy a pistol.(RED FLAG) he's back , a felon ! I call my lawyer and ask now what ?
    He tells me I have to go to my residence wich is some 1300+ miles away and talk to sheriff's dep.
    Personal criminal back round check three sets of finger prints secial application to FBI in WV. and a three month wait.I got too pay for all this crap. Finally I get letter of approval and a special ID number.I can't buy anything without this No..

Rant over. Anybody else ever have this problem ?

(Erie County)

Default Re: IDENTITY THEFT!

Quote Originally Posted by dman View Post
    In 1982 , I was working outside of Richmond Va.I was head rigger and had to build some cat walks under Lee bridge over the James river.While I was working , I left my walet at the motel I was staying.Sometimes I'm hanging up-side down on ropes and things and did not want to loose my ID.That day ,someone broke into my room and took everything.

1988 , Down in Fl. Rigging some big sphere on a 30 story condo.Driving home , I get pulled over by a LE. Burnd out break light .He comes back from his car , draws on me hand cuffs , the whole deal.Says out standing warrent VA attempted murder , two DUI's etc. I'm like no , dude , you got the wrong guy.Had to get a lawyer and fight for my friggin life.
    I had to go back all those years and prove where I'd been , pay stubs , tax returns , etc.Took over a year and half.
    They drop all charges when they get a picture of this guy.They didn't help me do anything.So this takes us up to about 1990.
    They tell me I got to change my name so I don't keep coming up this guy
    that became me. I drop my middle initial and think I'm ok.
    Go to the nearset gun shop and try to buy a pistol.(RED FLAG) he's back , a felon !When did this happen, and had you purchased other firearms prior? I call my lawyer and ask now what ?
    He tells me I have to go to my residence wich is some 1300+ miles away and talk to sheriff's dep.
    Personal criminal back round check three sets of finger prints secial application to FBI in WV. and a three month wait.I got too pay for all this crap. Finally I get letter of approval and a special ID number.I can't buy anything without this No..

Rant over. Anybody else ever have this problem ?
    Please detail the time frame.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Clarion County)

I'd bought my first pistol in1977 a Colt six shooter whitch was taken and reported.same time they got my wallet 82 . I guess the formal warrent for this guy possing as me didn't happen till end of 86.The DUI's one in Ga.85 and one in Fl. 86. I didn't try to buy another gun until 2004. Today if I go try to buy a gun without that ID No. I still get red flaged. Happened again this July in Shippenville ,but I got that No. All these years later and I still come up him if I forget to middle initial or buy a gun without that No. .Yeah , It's hard to believe that with all this tech ,they still can't get it right !!

Nobody else ever had a poblem like this huh? Ever huh ? Come on , I can't be the only one ! If so what did you have to do?
    Last edited by dman; March 25th, 2012 at 11:07 AM.

(Montgomery County)

Damn, that whole situation is just crazy. Makes me rethink how I go about things.
    Sorry to hear that you went through all that

(Clarion County)

Quote Originally Posted by sykopompos View Post
    Damn, that whole situation is just crazy. Makes me rethink how I go about things.
    Sorry to hear that you went through all that
    Thanks man but I had me a good woman at the time and she helped with all the paper work. I could not of done it all myself without her help.By the way , I married that woman and still married today so it ain't all bad !

(Indiana County)

I had a guy denied right after the PICS was instituted.

Long story short, he was in the Army and was stationed in CA., a buddy of his was arrested for B&E in Conn and decided to use his name.
    This was in the 70's. The guy spent like 6 months in jail all the time under this other guys name.

It took him almost 6 months to get it all resolved and IIRC he was able to get the record expunged pretty easily.

Pretty strange that he never knew about it up until he decided to buy his first gun in over 30 years.

(Allegheny County)

I want to know how you were buying a pistol 1,300 miles from home. The only state that is that big is Alaska.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by dman View Post
    Thanks man but I had me a good woman at the time and she helped with all the paper work. I could not of done it all myself without her help.By the way , I married that woman and still married today so it ain't all bad !
    seems there was a silver lining

(Wayne County)

Here's my question, if a person steals your identity and you decide to retaliate and kill that person are you committing suicide?
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Clarion County)

Quote Originally Posted by NRA Recruiter View Post
    I want to know how you were buying a pistol 1,300 miles from home. The only state that is that big is Alaska.
    Home to me at the time was Youngstown,Ohio and I got pulled over in Naples Fl..I was a rigger for a gunite crew that had jobs all over the USA .
    Did alot of traveling in them days.

It was 1329 miles home OHIO.-SW Fl. ,get a map . look !
    Last edited by dman; March 25th, 2012 at 10:57 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast