Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Delaware County)

Default Review: Truglo Night sights TG231G1

Im going to do a mini review of truglo tritium night sights and my thoughts. the model i bought is TG231G1 these sights are for all glock 9/40/357 model calipers.

I mounted them on a recently acquired G23.

I originally thought I was getting the TFO sights which are fiber optic w/ tritium. the model # on those are :TG131GT1

The sights I got are like most other night sights w/ white outlining around the tritium. No fiber optics. I bought them here:
    http://www.botachtactical.com/trtrsi.html

They are $20 cheaper than the meprolights that i have mounted on another G19. From what I have read online the meps are brighter than the trijicon sights. They are also known to be cheaper. so i have always bought meps for any night sights i mounted on pistols.

Compared to meps the truglo sights are definitely brighter at night. by how much you ask? i feel that's relative. to me the perceived brightness is significant. to others maybe not so much. but i don't think anyone would argue the fact that they are brighter.

the reason I feel they are brighter is because the housing for the tritium is longer on the truglos than the meps. you can see the difference in the pics.

I was concerned about the fact that the truglo rear sight is slightly ramped. I have taken a very good pistol course while in the Marines that taught me about 1 handed manipulation of a pistol ie: loading, racking, firing, changing mags with 1 arm out of the fight. During this course it was stressed to look for a good "lip" on the rear sight of a pistol so it can be used for some of the above mentioned things, like racking the slide on a belt or heel of a boot if in a kneeling position for example.

well after I had the sights mounted on the G23 i realized that the rear sight had enough of a lip to perform the 1 handed drills taught while in the corps. so i was pleased with that.

These sights are made from steel (or maybe aluminum) like the meps. they are sturdy and do not seem cheap in any way. they are larger then meps and I was concerned about the front or rear sight hanging up on stuff. Not the case. I have been carrying the G23 for a week now with no issues with the new sights.

when I took the gun to the range i found that i was shooting tighter groups with the new sights compared to the factory sights that i had on a week prior. so that was a plus. compared to the meps i can also hold tigher groups with these sights. there is something about the truglo sights that helps me focus more on the front sight than with the meps. I can't tell you what it is, they just seem more "crisp" to me. the meps "blend" which is not good when trying to focus on the front sight.

Overall I would buy these again over the Meps for the following reasons:
    1) cheaper $$
    2) brighter at night
    3) I shoot better with them

will i trade the Meps on my G19 for some truglo's......No, I won't the meps are great sights too. I will probably just be more inclined to buy truglos in the future.

take a look at some of the pics of my G23 with the truglo's and the G19 with the meps. you can see the difference in shape and size of the 2. you can also see me attempting to take a pic of myself performing a 1 handed slide rack.

Your thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Review: Truglo Night sights TG231G1

Not a bad review. Do you think the notch on the rear sight is any wider (compared to the Meps), helping you pick up the front sight better/easier?
    and to the dust you shall return

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Review: Truglo Night sights TG231G1

i do believe the notch in the rear sight is larger helping you focus on the front sight easier.

some may say they like a smaller notch so the front sight "fills" in the gap more in the rear but I shoot better with the truglos than I do with the meps.