Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Perry County)

Default My vent (seems to be all the rage)

A few years ago I was diagnosed with ADHD. Not a solid diagnosis as my family doctor based if off my results on an internet questionnaire. Seemed to be accurate though since I met over 90% of the indicators.

During a trip to a training with a corporal, I mentioned the diagnosis while venting. I was venting because my sergeant was sending me to another remedial training due to late reports. Now this training dealt with basic grammar and punctuation. I have a bachelors degree and 9 credits of a masters. I also have an IQ of 143 on the Stanford-Binet IQ test. Not to toot my own horn, but this means I am at or near genius.

The corporal (a friend I thought) told the sergeant and completed a letter that went up through the chain of command. The letter implied that I was faking a diagnosis to get one over on the department.

I returned from a Christmas vacation in January '08 to find I was on limited duty pending a psychological evaluation. Now anyone that knows anything about ADHD knows that if you have it as an adult, you have had it all your life. That means that while doing my job well (other than late reports) for 16 years, suddenly I was dangerous.

After being put through three evaluations, bypassed for promotion, (commissioner's discretion while on limited duty status) the diagnosis is confirmed. I refuse to be medicated and I am returned to full duty without the promotion I earned. I was returned to full duty because their hired gun even thought I was getting the shaft and told them there was no reason for the limited duty status.

A letter then comes down from above acknowledging the "disability" but saying essentially I will be given no quarter. On Christmas of '08, after having been back for a few months, the boss reduces the time frame even further for what constitutes late reports. At most barracks, thirty days old is late. My boss cut that to two weeks when he took over. He then reduced it to 3 to 5 days.

I filed a grievance initially for the limited duty status and a second when I was returned to full duty and not promoted. I had an initial hearing that was left unfinished due to a lack of expert testimony on my side in May of '08. (that is a whole story in itself)

Since then, I have been trying to get my hearing completed through one delay after another. Now here I am 18 months after this all began, getting my boss shredding me for late reports. It is obvious that documentation is being built against me to eventually hang me.

This is probably more information than I should share but that is another trait of ADHD. No filter.

(This thread was in response to a statement I made on another thread where I shared that I got a shitty evaluation and a supervisor's notation.)

(York County)

Default Re: My vent (seems to be all the rage)

Seems like they are out to get you, for some bullshit reasons. I dont see how ADHD can prevent you from performing your job to fullest.

I feel your a great contribution to this forum, as well. Its always nice to hear opinions on certain topics from the perspective of a police officer.

Hope things work out for you and this bullshit fizzles out.

It is typical that the BS runs thru out Corp. America
    It is TRAGIC that it runs in the armed forces.
    Hang in there and find a way to make the system work for you & better the CORP..

(Allegheny County)

Given your IQ and accomplishments, have you looked into Asperger's? It's symptoms are often misdiagnosed as ADHD or schizophrenia yet it's not a disorder so much as a different way of thinking. It's slang term is "geek syndrome," most of the aloof scientific figures in history are thought to have had it. You might just pride yourself on being an 'Aspy,' enhanced senses, ruthless logic, above average intelligence, and every time someone calls you an asshole you can say "I have Asperger's!" and get them to apologize.

Here's a link to the differences between ADHD and Asperger's:
    http://www.retrainthebrain.com/autism.html

(Allegheny County)

The messed up part is that it seems you enjoy your job, and are able to function just fine, then there are people who would use the ADHD thing as an excuse to slack off. (You know, since it's a "medical condition" )

Sorry to hear of your troubles with the job.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
    The corporal (a friend I thought) told the sergeant and completed a letter that went up through the chain of command. The letter implied that I was faking a diagnosis to get one over on the department.
    stupid question but...how were you "getting one over' on the dept.? your going to extra training, not trying to collect money, shirking your duties, receiving special treatment.....what did they think you getting out of playing adhd?

yeah you got one over, loss of wages, they think your crazy, you have the wrong kind of attention from the brass,subjected to unnecessary testing, no advancement....So to recap,poor,nuts,wastedtime,stinkeye,castesystem

damn jumbo you beat the systems ass lol we can only hope to be as lucky as you are in defrauding the gov. ...if you have some dirt on the guy who did all these wonderful things for you now is the time to make the brass aware

(Bucks County)

are you ok?
    "I Don't Miss"

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by MuzzleFlash View Post
    Given your IQ and accomplishments, have you looked into Asperger's? It's symptoms are often misdiagnosed as ADHD or schizophrenia yet it's not a disorder so much as a different way of thinking. It's slang term is "geek syndrome," most of the aloof scientific figures in history are thought to have had it. You might just pride yourself on being an 'Aspy,' enhanced senses, ruthless logic, above average intelligence, and every time someone calls you an asshole you can say "I have Asperger's!" and get them to apologize.

I have looked into it. A lot of what I read on the two is that they are just degrees of the same disorder. The ADHD diagnostic criteria are like the story of my life. The separate Aspergers traits are almost non-existent. The psychiatrist I was sent to felt that my high intelligence compensated a great deal for the negative traits associated with the ADHD.

Unfortunately for me, my boss has very specific criteria for what makes a good Trooper. A lot of citations and prompt completion of reports. My two big negatives. It means nothing that my criminal arrests tend to average two or three times the station mean.

(Lebanon County)

Quote Originally Posted by MuzzleFlash View Post

Yet more examples of the trend to classify everything that doesn't fit the 'social norm' as a disease these days.

unclejumbo, what you have is the typical need of a highly intelligent person to keep their mind occupied, and the associated and understandable disdain for mundane and repetitive mind numbing tasks. If they want to call it ADHD you may not be able to do much about it, but please don't feel bad. The only thing you have is a brilliant mind.

This is no different than classifying 10 year old boys bursting with energy as ADHD because they can't sit still for 8 straight hours. I really wish the head shrinkers would stop trying to pretend they have a real science, and admit that human behavior varies between humans.

Sorry for hijacking your rant
    If you don't know who your state legislators are go here:
    http://www.legis.state.pa.us/index.cfm
    put your zip plus 4 in the box in the upper right hand corner.

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by RyanXD View Post
    are you ok?
    I'm fine, thanks for asking. Just royally pissed off and feeling trapped. At this point I just want to get to twenty years and give the one finger salute.

There is a reason that police departments don't want high IQs. Because high IQs think too much and don't just follow orders.

I also think some of my bosses don't like that they aren't as smart or educated as I am. They, in turn, like to remind me that they pull the strings.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast