Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Elk County)

Default British Ministry of Defense Signs £90 Million Contract for New Assault Rifle

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/9...nced-new-rifle

September 14, 2023

(Image: UK MOD)

Under a new £90 million contract, the UK Ministry of Defense will procure up to 10,000 new assault rifles equipped with a muzzle reduction system and an improved optics sighting system.
    British troops will soon be more lethal on the battlefield, as a new £90 million contract delivers modern, high precision rifles.

The Alternative Individual Weapon (AIW) system - known as the L403A1 and procured by Defence Equipment & Support (DE&S) under Project Hunter – is made up of a new assault rifle fitted with a muzzle signature reduction system and an improved optical sighting system.

The AIW is a modern rifle using the latest in design technology and manufacturing methods, to produce an exceptionally reliable and accurate weapon. The magnified optic means the user is able to engage threats from greater distances; whilst the signature reduction system works to mask the AIW from detection from sight and hearing.

Supplementing the current in-service L85A3, the AIW system has been secured under a £90 million (US$111,690,000) contract with Macclesfield-based company Edgar Brothers. The company is responsible for sourcing and assembling the sub-systems that make up the Hunter system. The rifle is manufactured by Knights Armament Corporation and the magnified optic sight is manufactured Vortex Optics, two U.S.-based companies.

An initial £15 million order of 1,620 AIW systems has been placed, with options to procure up to 10,000 systems – totaling £90 million - under the contract over the next decade. The systems will initially be fielded to the Army Special Operations Brigade (ASOB) who operate in complex, high threat environments.

"Project Hunter has successfully delivered a new weapon option for UK Defence. At the current time this is being procured for the Army Special Operations Brigade (ASOB). It offers a marked increase in lethality, and the system includes one of most capable day sights currently available. Importantly the weapon system will be further enhanced by our newest generation of night optics, with which the ASOB are already equipped," said Lt. Col Gareth Davies, SO1 SoldierWorks, Military Capability Delivery, Army Headquarters.

As a key component of the ASOB, the Ranger Regiment will receive the AIW later this year. Made up of four battalions, the Rangers deployed to over 60 countries in their first 12 months of operation, following their formation as part Future Soldier under the Defence Command Paper 2021.

(At £90 million that's an average of £9,000 per rifle and optic, or US$11,169.00. That figure also includes spare parts and auxiliaries, so the actual unit weapon cost will be lower - NZ)
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Susquehanna County)

Default Re: British Ministry of Defense Signs £90 Million Contract for New Assault Rifle

Standard 5.56 NATO or something else?

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: British Ministry of Defense Signs £90 Million Contract for New Assault Rifle

Be sure to give half of them to their people. They need to catch back up to being normal humans again.

PSA could do that for a million.
    FJB

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    PSA could do that for a million.
    But they couldn't kick $80M back
    Gender confusion is a mental illness

(Allegheny County)

Gotta be embarrassing for the bloody limeys to have to resort to adopting America's Rifle for their military.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Gotta be embarrassing for the bloody limeys to have to resort to adopting America's Rifle for their military.
    Whatever they used before wasn't working since the US always seems to bail them out.

(Allegheny County)

(Allegheny County)

(Northampton County)

“fitted with a muzzle signature reduction system”
    Why?
    That’s ironic, I was just noticing, there appeared to be silencers on some of the police rifles I saw in the footage of the cops chasing that escaped Brazilian convict. Is that what they are and how long have our cops been using them?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast