Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Default Hi Power clone extractor

Ok, so I picked up a Browning Hi Power clone on the cheap from my boss, which is a PJK-9HP made by FEG, and imported by KBI. First time to the range with it, it experienced a few FTE's, which I attributed to it never been fired til now, and it simply needed some break in time. Well, after about 400 rounds or so, it is still suffering FTE's, and at a much higher frequency. I did some digging online, and have read that some people put in a heavier recoil spring, subsequently resulting in no more FTE's. Since this is an extraction issue, it didn't make sense to me that a recoil spring would be the solution. Possibly? I don't know, I'm not a gunsmith. To me, I would begin with the extractor, and the extractor spring. However, as mentioned before, I am not a gunsmith, and have no idea how difficult it is to replace the extractor and spring. Any help/ideas/input on the subject would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    When seconds count, the police are usually just minutes away...

(Bucks County)

Default Re: Hi Power clone extractor

If the gun isn't cycling completely, that could be part of your problem.

Are you having a failure to eject or extract?

I had a problem with a Beretta 92FS failing to extract. I removed the extractor, and was horrified to see how much dirt had been caked up in the extractor spring. I bought the gun used and the previous owner put a lot of ammo down range and clearly never cleaned it. After cleaning it, I kind of stretched the spring carefully over a drill bit (really not a lot as too much is bad). Since then I've had zero problems.

Try taking it apart and cleaning it.

-Zach

I'm not sure I understand the difference between failure to eject and failure to extract. What's happening is the empty brass only gets pulled about halfway out of the bore, while the bolt has already stripped the next round off the magazine. I guess that would be failure to extract? It seems to me the action is cycling properly, it's just not getting the spent round out of the bore. Since the gun is still within 500 rounds of being brand new, I didn't figure the extractor could be that dirty, but I suppose it couldn't hurt to take it apart and clean it. How difficult is it to get the extractor out? I've never fully disassembled a pistol before, so I'm not fully confident that I won't mess something up beyond my own ability to put it back together...

(Bucks County)

That is exactly what my Beretta 92FS was doing. The extractor would let go before it ejected the spent casing.

I don't know how easy it is to remove the extractor on your gun, but on the Beretta 92FS it is just pushing out a pin and then the whole things comes right out. No need to completely disassemble the slide otherwise.

I used solvent and cotton swabs to clean out the gunk. And as I said, you may want to either replace the extractor spring or try stretching it carefully. As I said, too much isn't going to help you either.

-Zach

Ok, I'll try taking it apart tomorrow as it's gettin kinda late and I have to be at work in the morning. Thanks for the help, I'll let ya know how it turns out. If I need to get a new spring, MidwayUSA has them for under $4. Also, do you think it would help to put in a heavier recoil spring? Or is that a waste of time and money? Thanks again.

(Lawrence County)

New springs all around. If you replace the extractor spring, you're going to have to take of the extractor and you'll be able to check for wear. An oiled gun that just sits around can cause a lot of gunk to build up. Take the slide off of the frame and soak it in lighter fluid. It dires with no residue and will flush all the bad stuff out. Then put a little lube in the important areas and try it then. If it still hangs up, then replace the springs.

-Chaz
    I like guns... And boobs...