Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Franklin County)

Default Sig P220. Not Fully Decocked?

I just got my first Sig. A P220 Elite. (There is a picture thread and a range report coming.

I've field stripped it, cleaned it up a bit. I'm going over some of the features and functions to kind of get myself used to it.

I know there is no external safety, just the decocking lever. The question I have, is when the gun is in SA (Hammer Back) and I drop the Decocking lever, the hammer comes foward but not all of the way.

It stops short of fully resting in the "hammer-well" (Not sure of the correct term. I can still see the back of the firing pin and if I push upwards on the hammer, I can get about an 1/8th-1/4in of travel out of it.

The opening between the front of the hammer and the back of the well is big enough to see.

Is there a problem with this?

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Sig P220. Not Fully Decocked?

No problem exists with your pistol.

If that hammer were to go all the way forward and struck the firing pin, do you think that would be a good safety feature? The Sig design does not rest the hammer on the firing pin, the hammer is rebounded. This is for safety.

In order for the hammer to reach and touch the firing pin the trigger must be pulled. By pulling the trigger the rebound is released and the firing pin block is also released to allow the striking of a primer.

Your pistol is fine. Go buy some ammo and do some range work.
    Join the groups protecting your rights from the fools trying to take them from you!

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Steve_NEPhila View Post
    No problem exists with your pistol.

If that hammer were to go all the way forward and struck the firing pin, do you think that would be a good safety feature? The Sig design does not rest the hammer on the firing pin, the hammer is rebounded. This is for safety.

In order for the hammer to reach and touch the firing pin the trigger must be pulled. By pulling the trigger the rebound is released and the firing pin block is also released to allow the striking of a primer.

Your pistol is fine. Go buy some ammo and do some range work.
    I tried thumbing through the manual and looking at various pics of others and I couldn't really find/see anything.

Thanks for clearing it up for me Steve. It all makes sense.

are you ealking about pulling the hammer back until you hear it click and the hammer is just off the pin but not fully cocked? i have several pistols that do that. when not in use i half cock them, keeps pressure off of the pin.
    FJB

You are really going to like the P220. After you have had it for a while, and want to like it even more, get the .22 conversion kit for it. It's a little on the picky side, as mine seems to only like CCI of any sort, but it is still a lot cheaper than sending .45s down the range all the time!

(Franklin County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    are you ealking about pulling the hammer back until you hear it click and the hammer is just off the pin but not fully cocked? i have several pistols that do that. when not in use i half cock them, keeps pressure off of the pin.
    Yea, Kind of like that. My Beretta PX4 it was always on the pin when decocked. Or at least it looked like it.

Quote Originally Posted by PennsyPlinker View Post
    You are really going to like the P220. After you have had it for a while, and want to like it even more, get the .22 conversion kit for it. It's a little on the picky side, as mine seems to only like CCI of any sort, but it is still a lot cheaper than sending .45s down the range all the time!
    I love it so far. It chewed up about 115 rounds of Ball and Hollowpoint ammo like a champ. Really dirty though. I would eventually like to get the .22 kit, a threaded .45 barrel and a can.

In time......

I'll get some pictures up tomorrow.

(Philadelphia County)

When you decock the Sig 220 with the hammer drop lever it comes to rest on what Sig calls the intercept notch. It is a great safety feature. And yes you will love the P-220, I love mine-Scott.
    Sig, Walther, Colt, and S&W, of course.

(Monroe County)

Funny you should post that, yes its got a rebounded hammer, nothing wroing with it, i got 4 Sigs, 220 carry , 232, 229, and 2009, they all got that feature.

Quote Originally Posted by PennsyPlinker View Post
    Just courious why you like it, if it's picky? Not picking on you or anythink like that, am I the only who does not like Sig's so much..It can be fixed but I don't like the trigge it feel's squessy & having had two myself I think they are a little over priced. IMO...just an opinion I would not not buy any firearm without quality ...first. Sig has that but still a little high. IMO...lol..I know Sig is a very dependable & most consider it being an upper end pistol which I would mostly agree if only if only they would fix the trigger. Maybe my problem would be after having high end 1911's nothing else come's close. & most love the single stack. I guess that's why they are loved so!..IMO
    Last edited by Ronnies111; December 13th, 2009 at 10:29 AM.
    I'm Your Huckaberry...Say When:)

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronnies111 View Post
    Just courious why you like it, if it's picky? Not picking on you or anythink like that, am I the only who does not like Sig's so much..It can be fixed but I don't like the trigge it feel's squessy & having had two myself I think they are a little over priced. IMO...just an opinion I would not not buy any firearm without quality ...first. Sig has that but still a little high. IMO...lol..I know Sig is a very dependable & most consider it being an upper end pistol which I would mostly agree if only if only they would fix the trigger. Maybe my problem would be after having high end 1911's nothing else come's close. & most love the single stack. I guess that's why they are loved so!..IMO
    He's talking about the conversion being picky on what ammo works best, not on the Sig itself

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast