Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Hokkmike Guest

Default FFL to FFL then to me. Is this the only way?

If you are buying a gun from a person in another state does it have to be sent to your FFL from their FFL? Can a private individual not send a gun, let's say a rifle, DIRECTLY to an FFL where the buyer can pick it up after paying the fee?

(Monroe County)

Default Re: FFL to FFL then to me. Is this the only way?

Quote Originally Posted by Hokkmike View Post
    If you are buying a gun from a person in another state does it have to be sent to your FFL from their FFL? Can a private individual not send a gun, let's say a rifle, DIRECTLY to an FFL where the buyer can pick it up after paying the fee?
    An indivigual CAN send a firearm to an FFL holder in a different state. It does not have to go to an FFL and then to the purchasers FFL for pick up.

The sender would include a copy of his state issued Photo ID for the receiving dealer to use for his books.

Quite a few dealers don't like to do it because it is easier to show a firearm coming in from an FFL but it is NOT necessary.

The buyer only needs to make sure he follows proper shipping guide lines.

Rich W.

(Centre County)

I agree with Rich, but keep in mind that there are FFL's out there that no matter what the law says, they will not accept a gun from an individual. That is their perogative. Check with your receiving FFL and see what he says. If he says FFL to FFL only then you have 2 choices; do what he wants or find another FFL.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    I agree with Rich, but keep in mind that there are FFL's out there that no matter what the law says, they will not accept a gun from an individual. That is their perogative. Check with your receiving FFL and see what he says. If he says FFL to FFL only then you have 2 choices; do what he wants or find another FFL.

Yeah I know of a couple of FFL's that will not accept a firearm if it is not shipped form another FFL.

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty!

(Northampton County)

How can you be sure that the gun is coming from the guy that is sending a copy of his license?

How do you know that the gun is not stolen and the license that you have is not also stolen?

You can’t know! If it comes from another FFL at least the seller will have had to prove to him as to whom he is. You would hope.

I do not accept guns from people that can’t identify themselves to me.

(York County)

You should be able to but bear in mind that each individual FFL has there own set of do's and don'ts. Give yours a call and see what they say.

BB
    3%

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by rflynn View Post
    How can you be sure that the gun is coming from the guy that is sending a copy of his license?

How do you know that the gun is not stolen and the license that you have is not also stolen?

You can’t know! If it comes from another FFL at least the seller will have had to prove to him as to whom he is. You would hope.

I do not accept guns from people that can’t identify themselves to me.

I asked the same questions the first time I was asked to accept a firearm from an out of state individual. The bottom line is, you DON'T know and both could be the result but there is nothing illegal about a dealer doing it and the bottom line is IF the firearm is stolen you will know when PSP runs it from the Record of sale. At which time it is up to them to follow up and go get the firearm and then come by your shop for a copy of the paperwork and photo ID that was sent with the firearm.

I always recommend to the customer that before they pick it up they let me have the serial number run just to be safe. For that matter what would be the difference if someone dropped a stolen gun off at an FFL to have shipped to an FFL. It would play out the same way but you would give the ATF and PSP the FFL holders name and number that it came from.

The choice is totaly upto the individual FFL holder if they want to receive it or not from an individual but there isn't a legal problem with doing so.

JMHO,
    Rich W.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Warners Surplus View Post
    I asked the same questions the first time I was asked to accept a firearm from an out of state individual. The bottom line is, you DON'T know and both could be the result but there is nothing illegal about a dealer doing it and the bottom line is IF the firearm is stolen you will know when PSP runs it from the Record of sale. At which time it is up to them to follow up and go get the firearm and then come by your shop for a copy of the paperwork and photo ID that was sent with the firearm.

I always recommend to the customer that before they pick it up they let me have the serial number run just to be safe. For that matter what would be the difference if someone dropped a stolen gun off at an FFL to have shipped to an FFL. It would play out the same way but you would give the ATF and PSP the FFL holders name and number that it came from.

The choice is totaly upto the individual FFL holder if they want to receive it or not from an individual but there isn't a legal problem with doing so.

JMHO,
    Rich W.
    I never said that it was illegal to do it. I just do not like being used to help sell stolen guns. If you do this you are opening yourself up to do just that. When they go looking for the guy that allegedly shipped the gun to you they find out the guys wallet was stolen with his guns.

I know it’s a pain in the ass for the buyer and may cost him a little more for the gun but this is why I don’t do it.

As far as someone coming in to ship a gun that gun is logged into my book and all that customers info including license # is there. If at that time he has sold a stolen gun I can identify him and testify as to who and what he did.

But we all have our own way of doing things. This is just mine.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    I also agree with both of you, as a matter of fact I don't know of any ffl locally who will accept and individual sending them a firearm.
    In Theory there is no difference between theory and practice,

In Practice, there is.