Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Centre County)

Default Fourwheeler Won't Start After Sitting

I got an 88 or 89 Honda Fourtrax 300 4x4. About 6 months ago it had been sitting in my garage for god knows how long and it wouldn't start. My friend came over and cleaned off the plug and it pretty much fired right up. Well right after he got it running I took it out once to ride it and its been sitting since.

Well with the snow here it would be nice to plow my driveway and take it out and rip it around some. Well I went to start it, and didn't get anything. I've tried cleaning the plug and went to Track N Trail last week and got a new one and I still don't have anything. The battery is dead so I've been trying to kick start it and jump it with my truck.

Any ideas on how to get this thing running again? The fuel has been in it for...errr I'm not sure how long but it isn't exactly new. Tomorrow I may try draining the gas and putting newer stuff in. Another quick question, I don't really know a whole lot about vehicles but if I drain that little fuel my fourwheeler has in it, would it hurt just to put it in my truck? I've almost got a full tank lol.

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: Fourwheeler Won't Start After Sitting

get a rebuild kit for the carb make sure to replace the needle and seat .. that should do it !
    Tigers love pepper, they don't like cinnamon !

(Centre County)

I forgot to mention I'm laid off right now with no unemployment and no money.

(Philadelphia County)

Stored fuel goes bad in as little as 60 days causing varnish deposits and corrosion to build up in engines. This build-up results in starting problems, poor performance, and reduced engine life. STA-BIL stops the formation of varnish and prevents corrosion.

http://www.goldeagle.com/sta-bil/all_about_sta-bil.htm
    If guns kill people, then pencils misspell words.

(Chester County)

Drain all of the fuel from the gas tank, the fuel line & the carb bowl. When you remove the carb bowl, spray carb cleaner in real good & make sure the float isnt stuck in position (It should move up & down freely) Add new gas & possibly a new inline fuel filter. It should run after that if it was running not long ago. If your going to fill the tank add stabil to it if its going to sit again after you run it.

Make sure you have a good strong charge on the battery too

The gas you take out isnt good for anything except starting campfires -
    Last edited by Minor Threat; December 26th, 2008 at 08:33 AM.
    If you're not outraged & disgusted, you are simply not paying atttention

(Allegheny County)

Make sure you clean out the tank itself, as was posted earlier, old gas will cause corrosion. Would hate to go through all the work just to have a rust flake clog the fuel line.

Zombie Response Team SECTOR 4 Ground assault unit
    "Nothing defuses people like crazy." ~ Lycanthrope

Drain the gas. Put some carburator cleaner in with the gas. Do what ypou have to to get the gas in the carb. Let it set about a day and try and start it.
    borrow a battery charger if you do not have one take the battery out of the atv bring it in the house make sure all the cells are full and put it on charge for a couple of days. Be aware that the charging process will create Hydrogen gas which can go Boom if it gets near an ignition source.
    I always stressed to my son"one shot one kill that was all that is needed". When He came home from Marine Corp Boot camp He was telling me about the Marines stressing "ONE SHOT ONE KILL" He looks at me and the light bulb went on Dad was now a whole lot smarter than he was 13 weeks ago.

(Centre County)

I've had bike sit for 6 months and they started up with no problem, even without Sta-bil.
    However, here's what I would do/have done with a reluctant engine:
    1) Smell the gas in the tank. If it still smells "right", it's OK to burn. If not, dump it into your car just before you go on a long drive to some place. It will burn fine.
    2) Drain and refill the float bowl a couple times. If it doesn't refill, the float needle is stuck. A few taps with a plastic hammer will dislodge it. If it still doesn't refill, you may have a clog somewhere upstream (fuel line, petcock, in-tank strainer). Some petcocks are vacuum operated. If yours is, make sure it opens.
    3) Make sure the spark plug has a good spark while cranking the engine. Pull the plug, leaving the plug wire connected, ground the curved tip of the plug to the engine case or frame and crank it over, looking for a spark across the plug gap. make sure you have a good battery if using electric start, or use jumer cables and your car battery.
    4) If the above all check out, pull the carb and clean the main jet, pilot jet, mixture screw outlet, and any other orifices you see.
    5) If after ensuring you have no fuel delivery or spark problems the engine still won't start, the problem resides elsewhere.
    Whatever you do DON'T TAKE IT TO TRACK-N-TRAIL, a.k.a., "Trick-N-Snare," or any other dealer to have it serviced.

I live locally. PM me with your address and phone # and I can help take a look at it if you need.

(Centre County)

Wow, thanks for all the replies. Time to get to work I guess.

(Blair County)

This will be the first "serious" post I've written in days.

Perhaps we could have a moment of silence first?
    .................................................. .................................................. ...

Thank you.

I love Honda engines. Had a Honda outboard on a sailboat years ago. Have two Hondas on my current cruiser. Have a Honda weedeater.

I stick with Hondas because they are so reliable.

But I have never seen any motor as finicky when it comes to old gas. You will need to seriously clean the carb(s).

I fought with the Honda outboard for 2 days years ago. It STILL wouldn't start. Finally called the marina and they got it running again. Told me the gas was crystalized in the jet (or something like that).

My current boat has had the carbs cleaned several times because I do not run it enough and the gas gets old.

When you get it running again keep the gas fresh. If you put it away for a while drain the tank and then run the engine until it shuts off from lack of fuel.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled broadcast...
    ~ Luke... Come to the dark side... We have cookies! ~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast