Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Question...How do I get rid of smoke smell from a safe?

I acquired a used safe from a trade about a month ago. The bad part is the inside of the safe wreaks of cigarette smoke. I am a non smoker so its extremely obnoxious to me. I thought if I let it air out and continually frebreezed it that it would go away. Here I am a month later still trying to get rid of the smell. I am contemplating selling it and just buying a new one.

I've also tried baking soda/satchels of air freshener... nothing seems to help.

Any ideas that don't involving renting a rug doctor and trying to steam clean it?

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Question...How do I get rid of smoke smell from a safe?

Depending on the size of the safe. Ozone machine. If its a big safe, but it inside and blue tape it. If not put the safe in a smaller room and let it run a day or two. Blue tape the room shut. Should do it unless someone else has something easier.....

I missed that part about renting something. No it's in there and needs to come out.

Think about the Holidays coming up. There are always coupons to rent one and maybe bang out a few rooms while you have it or do some furniture.
    Last edited by gtu160; October 27th, 2012 at 06:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gtu160 View Post
    Depending on the size of the safe. Ozone machine. If its a big safe, but it inside and blue tape it. If not put the safe in a smaller room and let it run a day or two. Blue tape the room shut. Should do it unless someone else has something easier.....

I missed that part about renting something. No it's in there and needs to come out.

Think about the Holidays coming up. There are always coupons to rent one and maybe bang out a few rooms while you have it or do some furniture.
    Its a smaller 16 gun safe... I'll google the ozone machine. I just didnt want to rent a rug doctor because it would be a pain in the ass. I dont mind spending money on the ozone machine. Would I be able to put this machine in the safe and let it run for a few days?

(York County)

http://www.amazon.com/Snap-S-O-S-Smo.../dp/B0077SAMS8

Snap S.O.S. (Smoke, Odor, Stain Eliminator)
    Lower your expectations to zero and you'll never be disappointed.

(Luzerne County)

A simple vinegar solution ... wipe down all the surfaces and let air dry. Repeat if necessary and then put in a baking powder box in the back and leave for a day. Should be good after that..... and you could always add some activated charcoal to remove any other odors that may seep in...

(Bucks County)

OZUM and damp rid

(Northampton County)

Lock Bloomburg in there for 72 hours. He'll not only get rid of the smoke, but your guns as well.

(Lehigh County)

If the panels come out (mine do) you could take them to a car wash and hose them off.... Where are you located???? I have a rug shampooer that does a great job at removing stains/odors. I have 1 dog, 4 cats, 2 kids and my carpets are 9 years old. If you live close enough I'd lend you my machine.
    When you are called a racist, it just means you won an argument with an Obama supporter.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by ReconLdr View Post
    If the panels come out (mine do) you could take them to a car wash and hose them off.... Where are you located???? I have a rug shampooer that does a great job at removing stains/odors. I have 1 dog, 4 cats, 2 kids and my carpets are 9 years old. If you live close enough I'd lend you my machine.
    i got one too, with a little extendable wand for scrubbing steps, couches and whatnot. works wonders with the right juice in there, i got a sloppy, clumsy kid and my stuff still looks good. close enough to me you can borrow it if recons too far.
    I have had surprisingly few homeless people hire me. - GunLawyer001

Quote Originally Posted by ReconLdr View Post
    Thanks for the offer. I'm about 2 hrs away
    Quote Originally Posted by nateebobo View Post
    i got one too, with a little extendable wand for scrubbing steps, couches and whatnot. works wonders with the right juice in there, i got a sloppy, clumsy kid and my stuff still looks good. close enough to me you can borrow it if recons too far.
    I just may take you up on the offer if the vinegar doesn't work.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast