Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I just took a shower...

It was the first shower I've had in nearly five months.

Back in June I had emergency surgery to remove part of my colon when it ruptured due to diverticulitis. When I asked the doctor what my options were I was told surgery or death. I chose the former. After a week in the hospital they sent me home with pain meds, a colostomy bag and a surgical gash that went from my chest to my beltline. Due to all the bandages I wasn't allowed to take a shower instead having to wash up at the sink.

In July I had a second surgery to remove an abscess in my lower abdomen. This time I spent three days in the hospital and was sent home with antibiotics, pain meds and brand new hole in my gut the size of a softball. I had to be hooked up to a wound VAC that sucked out all the nasty bits and helped me heal faster. Had I not gotten the infection, my surgical wound would have been healed by middle of July. Again, I had to continue to wash up at the sink.

At the beginning of September the wound VAC was removed, but I still had to contend with lots of bandages and the colostomy bag. Still no shower.

October has rolled around and at the beginning of this month I had my colostomy reversed. I spent over ten hours in surgery and when I woke up the colostomy was gone. Instead I had three drains attached to me and enough staples to put together three Frankenstein monsters. Apparently they found a hernia and fixed that while they took care of my resection.

I spent nearly two weeks in the hospital mostly because they were unable to get my pain under control and because I had developed several blood clots in my left leg. They sent me home with lots of meds, three drains that needed to be emptied daily and a ton of staples. Again no shower.

Yesterday the drains came out, as did the staples. Unfortunately I was in too much pain to care.

This evening, between periods 2 and 3 of the Flyers game I took my first shower since June. It was one of the best experiences of my life. It's amazing how one can miss something so mundane as a simple shower, but it's one of life's little pleasures that most of us take for granted.

When asked by David Letterman if he understood or realized anything about life when he was diagnosed with terminal cancer, Warren Zevon replied "Just how much you're supposed to enjoy every sandwich." I think the same applies to showers.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: I just took a shower...

God bless you. That is...words escape me. I am so glad you are recovering.

(Schuylkill County)

You wouldn't have missed much in the 3rd period anyway..

I'm glad you're alright after all that! And you are right... I know even after just 3 or 4 days at camp without a shower, you really appreciate how refreshing that shower is. I can't even imagine it being 5 months...

You bring up a very good point. We take so much for granted these days. Sometimes we just need to sit back and enjoy the little things... because you never know when they may be out of reach.
    III%

(Chester County)

Dang man.... You've been through a lot. Take another shower in the morning.
    Μολὼν λάβε

(Montgomery County)

i wish you continued sucess in your recovery process

(Allegheny County)

Wow, you've had a rough year. Glad to hear you're coming along. Keep your chin up, sounds like you've gotten past the hard part.

It's amazing how the little niceties in life can be a big deal when you've done without for a long time. Not to make light of your situation, but I experienced similar delight when I use a flushing toilet in Kuwait after 9 months of portapotties in Iraq. It's the little things that make life so great if you just take a little time to appreciate them.

(Beaver County)

upon seeing the title my intention was to make a joke, but after having read the thread...

Am glad to hear that you're able to again, I feel dirty after two days, can't imagine going for four months

(Lancaster County)

Damn, I am going to go take a shower right now. God bless man take care !!

(York County)

Talking Re: I just took a shower...

I totally feel for ya - had major accident years ago that essentially did the same thing - mucho staples, incisions, etc. No shower, just the danged sink bath for 14 weeks.

Go enjoy another one - run the dang hot water heater dry! It'll feel SO-O-O-OOOOOO good.....!

Keep healing up fast too!
    SIG Sauer, S&W M&P and Mossberg 930 Armorer

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    When I asked the doctor what my options were I was told surgery or death. I chose the former.
    good choice.

wow, man...what an ordeal. glad to hear you came through it OK. good luck with your continued recovery.

enjoy your showers!
    F*S=k

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast