Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Mercer County)

Thumbs up Why you don't mess with old farts

http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/18741495...wn-from-gunman

Vietnam Vet doesn't back down from gunman

Napoleon Rutledge
    CHATTANOOGA, TN (WRCB) -- A 67-year-old Chattanooga man didn't back down when someone tried to rob him in a grocery store parking lot. His response sent the suspect running, but he didn't make it far.

Napoleon Rutledge is a Vietnam veteran who says he has a couple dozen confirmed kills in war. He's not proud of it, but says he did what he had to do. He fought for freedom, and when that freedom was tested on Wednesday he reacted the only way he knew how.

"What I faced in Vietnam...no, it didn't shake me! It made me mad," said Rutledge.

Wednesday afternoon around 4:00 p.m. in a packed Bi-Lo parking lot on Highway 58, Rutledge was walking back to his car with $600 in money orders.

"This guy came up behind me and said, ‘Hey sir I want your money!' I turned around and looked, and he cocked his 9mm."

The gunman didn't realize he was looking for a freebie from a man not willing to back down.

When the gunman held the gun up Rutledge said, "Why you wanna rob me? Why don't you get a job? What I got, what I get, what I spend in this store, I earned it! I said if you gonna shoot me then shoot me. I got a wife and three kids that you'll have to take care of."

Rutledge said he then saw the fear in the gunman's eyes. The bad guy put down the gun and then made an even stranger request.

"He said well can you give me a ride across the street from Bi-Lo," said Rutledge. "I said No, you better get away from me!"

He did, 19-year-old Octavious Malone left in a hurry and was arrested shortly afterwards, along with two juveniles, on Gunbarrel Road. Malone is facing weapon and aggravated robbery charges.

Rutledge just doesn't understand the mentality of people like Malone. "What is wrong with them? I got drafted to go to Vietnam, I didn't have a choice. They got all the opportunities in the world now to make something of themselves but they don't want it," he said.

It should be noted this is not how the Chattanooga Police Department recommends you react in a similar situation, but in Napoleon's case it seemed to work.
    ----------------------------

Who didn't know the PD doesn't recommend telling an armed robber to "Kiss my arse"
    The oracle is in. Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!!

(Clarion County)

Default Re: Why you don't mess with old farts

Every man reaches a point in their life when he's seen enough , been through enough and has drawn lines in the sand.
    When someone reaches that point , what ever the reason , there is no fear.

I've seen people living in constant pain or family and financial problems that are simply at the point where there is no fear.
    That man is dangerous , not to himself or others , just to anyone that would dare push him any farther .
    The lines are drawn , don't cross it because even in his last dying breath ,
    He will make you pay.He has nothing left to lose.

Well put. 10ch

(Elk County)

Quote Originally Posted by dman View Post
    Every man reaches a point in their life when he's seen enough , been through enough and has drawn lines in the sand.

I've seen people living in constant pain or family and financial problems that are simply at the point where there is no fear.
    That man is dangerous , not to himself or others , just to anyone that would dare push him any farther .

Very true.

Reminds me of the movie "Gran Torino."

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Delaware County)

I try not to mess with anyone. Just makes it a little easier to get through the day. I do however like to break balls.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by dman View Post

Well said.Sounds like what the Tennessee gentleman was probably feeling.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

(Washington County)

This story is full of win. From the names of those involved, Napoleon and Octavious, to the perp being caught on Gunbarrel Road.

But most importantly the outcome of the encounter.
    Fortune fingers the fearless

(Monroe County)

Never mess with an old man, if he is too old to fight, he will just kill you!

I would hope people dont mess with old people because they were taught to respect their elders, but sadly that is not common today.
    I offer discounts on freeze dried foods, knives and other prepping products.

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by Noah_Zark View Post
    Very true.

Reminds me of the movie "Gran Torino."

Noah
    Yeah, me too. [spoiler]But in the movie it didn't end so well for Eastwood's character. I mean, I know how it ended was his intent, but...[/spoiler]
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast