Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AK Laser/light

(Berks County)

Default AK Laser/light

I would like to put either an inexpensive laser/light combo on my AK with front quad rail. Not really for home defense, so please no need to open up the debate about handgun vs. shotgun vs. rifle as the correct weapon
    Mostly will just use the laser for offhand target, and just thought why not a light too.

I read/hear that green is easier to see than red. Looking at some NC Star models in both colors here, one is red, around $60 and the other green, around $100.

Anybody have any opinions on these?

Is the green worth almost twice the price?

Thanks to all.

http://www.ncstar.com/scripts/prodVi...?idproduct=318

http://www.ncstar.com/scripts/prodVi...?idproduct=668

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: AK Laser/light

May I ask why you want a laser on an ak? They are not know for accuracy and if you are not using for home defense, lasers are a pain in the ass @ 100 yrds.
    Flashlight I can justify a little bit, but it's like putting a laser on a nagant, yes you can do it, but why? If you need an aiming device, may I suggest a scope, most ak's already have the mount. If you really want a laser, by all means, put one on, after all, it is your firearm.

(Chester County)

Nothing i've read about Ncstar suggests quality. if your just going for the cool factor at the range i guess but if you actually intend to use it i'd pass for some thing more reliable.
    WHEN DEMOCRACY TURNS TO TYRANNY, THE ARMED CITIZEN STILL GETS TO VOTE

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa.Sniper View Post
    May I ask why you want a laser on an ak? They are not know for accuracy and if you are not using for home defense, lasers are a pain in the ass @ 100 yrds.
    Flashlight I can justify a little bit, but it's like putting a laser on a nagant, yes you can do it, but why? If you need an aiming device, may I suggest a scope, most ak's already have the mount. If you really want a laser, by all means, put one on, after all, it is your firearm.
    I actually started looking at scopes, but what I'm finding is even with the aftermarket buttstocks I've seen (at least so far) I have to raise my head like 2-3 inches above the stock. So no cheekrest, making things tough.

If someone knows of a stock with a very high adjustable cheek rest, I'd revisit that. And welcome scope suggestions. I have a front quad rail and side mount rail already. Thanks again.

And though my primary use is not for home defense, that could always be a potential use.
    Last edited by esh21167; June 19th, 2013 at 03:49 PM.

(Washington County)

Well, if you are taking suggestions, I suggest a red dot instead of the laser. Primary Arms and Bushnell both make cheap red dots that get favorable reviews.

If it were me, I'd mount it on a RS Regulate side mount, and for the light I'd get a RS Regulate barrel mount, both are sold at AIM surplus (and probably other places as well.)

Posted from Pafoa.org App for Android

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by marinville View Post
    Well, if you are taking suggestions, I suggest a red dot instead of the laser. Primary Arms and Bushnell both make cheap red dots that get favorable reviews.

If it were me, I'd mount it on a...

Posted from Pafoa.org App for Android
    I'd mount it on an ultimak for co-witness. I have 2 Bushnell TRS-25's on ultimak's and they are rock solid.

The RS regulate mounts are great, but expensive as hell. So is their barrel mount. The ultimak will allow you to just use any offset light mount. (See also - $20-50) But I use a KZ offset light mount and it was $19.

This set up works very well for me.

Another option. Is to purchase a stock 'pad' that straps the to the buttstock and gives you some additional height at the cheek. Scoped AK's aren't really my thing. And while I will fight anyone who says an AK is completely inaccurate to the death as I know otherwise. The utility of a scope on an AK I think is diminished depending on the round it fires. AK-47. I don't see it. A 74 in 5.56 or 5.45 - maybe. But therein lies the second problem and that's the height in which a scope is going to be mounted... how it's going to be mounted... and the AK isn't optimal for scopes. A red dot will give you a fine aiming point IME and is usually enough to get on target out to reasonable distances.

Up close, they are devastating and fast. Just like an AK should be. So that is my preference.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus6 View Post
    I'd mount it on an ultimak for co-witness. I have 2 Bushnell TRS-25's on ultimak's and they are rock solid.

The RS regulate mounts are great, but expensive as hell. So is their barrel mount. The ultimak will allow you to just use any offset light mount. (See also - $20-50) But I use a KZ offset light mount and it was $19.

This set up works very well for me.

Another option. Is to purchase a stock 'pad' that straps the to the buttstock and gives you some additional height at the cheek. Scoped AK's aren't really my thing. And while I will fight anyone who says an AK is completely inaccurate to the death as I know otherwise. The utility of a scope on an AK I think is diminished depending on the round it fires. AK-47. I don't see it. A 74 in 5.56 or 5.45 - maybe. But therein lies the second problem and that's the height in which a scope is going to be mounted... how it's going to be mounted... and the AK isn't optimal for scopes. A red dot will give you a fine aiming point IME and is usually enough to get on target out to reasonable distances.

Up close, they are devastating and fast. Just like an AK should be. So that is my preference.
    I kind of like the option in your photo. How do you like the scout scope setup?

My rifle's a Saiga convert and does not have the lower fore end retainer. It just has a bolt on front quad rail. So I think no matter what I do, I won't get co-witness. I think I'll get a red dot first. Thinking forward, I wonder if I get the stock below and want a scope later, if see through mounts would be possible. I know that raises things even higher, but the Mako stock look like it has alot of adjustment. I can get this stock for about $60.
    Then I could move the red dot to a 45 degree right side mount.

So that brings another question. Do members prefer the open type or the tubular type. I looked at a few and personally thought the open type was easier to find the dot. But they seem a bit more prone to damage.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by esh21167; June 23rd, 2013 at 10:55 AM.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pa.Sniper View Post
    but it's like putting a laser on a nagant, yes you can do it, but why?
    I have a laser on my Mosin. And to answer your question philosophically. Why not.

Real answer is I like the fact of 19th century design. 20th century manufacture. 21st century sight. Plus the original sight was broken. Similar reason I like hanging Old Glory off the bayonet of a Soviet Rifle during 2A rallies. BTW it is a green laser.

(Berks County)

Smile Re: AK Laser/light

Quote Originally Posted by elweasel View Post
    I have a laser on my Mosin. And to answer your question philosophically. Why not.

Real answer is I like the fact of 19th century design. 20th century manufacture. 21st century sight. Plus the original sight was broken. Similar reason I like hanging Old Glory off the bayonet of a Soviet Rifle during 2A rallies. BTW it is a green laser.
    Blending 3 centuries of technology. I like it.

I'd be interested in why you hang the U.S. flag like that. I think I'm missing it.

I'm starting to think a little over the top. High cheek rest butt stock. Side mounted scope with see through riser to see iron sights. Red dot on right side at 45 degrees and laser/light mounted on right side at 90 degrees.

(Bucks County)

Talking Re: AK Laser/light

Quote Originally Posted by esh21167 View Post
    I'd be interested in why you hang the U.S. flag like that. I think I'm missing it.
    The Flag was for the rally in Doylestown last weekend. June 15. Since it was the day after Flag day, we were asked to bring Flags. Which I wanted to do I also wanted to OC. Now I could have carried my glock or my Ak-47. But there are enough people already doing that So I picked the Mosin, its bayonet was perfect for sliding the USA flag over and that way I could OC and carry a Flag at the same time. Pictures work better than words.

That is a screen grab from the news.

From behind

Plus I wasn't sure how the cops would react to the "really long screwdriver on the end of a rifle"
    I wouldn't shoot with the flag on, it would most likely melt the flag with the blast. And it kinda symbolizes the USA over the Soviets. Most people I meet seemed to like the mix.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast