Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Is it best to not carry in MD and risk being carried by 6?

I am not suggesting anything illegal. I'm just curious of what the outcome would be. What if you and your wife are in MD visiting for the weekend and you decieded to ignore the state laws and carry conceal illegally with a small pocket pistol. What if you and your spouse are held at gunpoint by a theift who demands your wallet and jewerly. After you and your spouse hand over everything the theift requests he shoots you first with wound shot. Fear of him shooting your spouse you pull out your illegal conceal and shoot him before he can shoot your wife. What would be the outcome? Would you only have an option between you and your spouse being dead or you spending life in a MD state prison? What would be the outcome of this situtation?
    Last edited by dlclarkii; February 15th, 2009 at 10:49 AM.

Default Re: Is it best to not carry in MD and risk being carried by 6?

Quote Originally Posted by dlclarkii View Post
    I am not suggesting anything illegal. I'm just curious of what the outcome would be. What if you and your wife are in MD visiting for the weekend and you decieded to ignore the state laws and carry conceal illegally with a small pocket pistol. What if you and your spouse are held at gunpoint by a theift who demands your wallet and jewerly. After you and your spouse hand over everything the theift requests he shoots you first with wound shot. Fear of him shooting your spouse you pull out your illegal conceal and shoot him before he can shoot your wife. What would be the outcome? Would you only have an option between you and your spouse being dead or you spending life in a MD state prison? What would be the outcome of this situtation?
    Yes, you will be arrested and at a minimum you will be charged for illegally possessing a concealed weapon. You wouldn't be spending the rest of your life in a prison for just shooting the guy.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by chrisjames_71 View Post
    Yes, you will be arrested and at a minimum you will be charged for illegally possessing a concealed weapon. You wouldn't be spending the rest of your life in a prison for just shooting the guy.
    And as a result of that, I believe you would also be barred from possessing (and carrying) guns in Pennsylvania, as well.

Just stay out of Maryland.
    Safety is a good tool for tyrants; no one can be against safety.

Μολὼν λαβέ

(Armstrong County)

Just driving though Baltimore at dusk or later on 40 is enough to convince you that you should not be without a gun. Glad I don't have to go there anymore. With law abiding citizens not permitted by law to carry in MD, it's no wonder they have one of the highest crime rates in the nation.

It's simple, if MD wants a reduction in violent crime, they will have to allow honest people to carry for SD ............... PERIOD!

None of that PC or anti-gun shit is going to work!
    The original point and click interface was a Colt Peacemaker!

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by imperialism2024 View Post
    And as a result of that, I believe you would also be barred from possessing (and carrying) guns in Pennsylvania, as well.

Sometimes it's hard to stay out of MD when they're your neighbor just like NJ and NY. Those on the southwest of PA don't have to worry as much, they can carry in OH and WV with the right permits.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by imperialism2024 View Post

Could not agree more.

When injustice becomes law, rebellion becomes duty!

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by dlclarkii View Post
    It's best to do whatever you're going to do and not talk about it. The reality of the situation is, if you are carrying illegally, that's just that, you are carrying illegally. The risk is greater that you will get caught carrying illegally, than you needing to use the gun in self defense. I would also think the reality is, that should you use the gun in the self defense situation you described, you would lose that gun to law enforcement, never to see it again, but acquitted by a jury of any charges the AG files against you.

If you are caught carrying illegally in MD, that's going to be a big problem. I recommend not breaking the law. Use common sense, think about the potential dangers in every situation you are in, or are going to be in. Take whatever legal steps you can to avoid the dangers. I lived in Baltimore for a long time, and was never in a situation where I needed a gun outside the home-perhaps just lucky.

Common sense, and situational awareness goes a long way. Also, pepper spray is not illegal in MD, and I don't think it's illegal to carry it either.

(York County)

First of all Maryland handgun laws are absurd! I lived in and around Baltimore for 25 years before moving back to PA and not once did I ever get robbed, mugged, etc. (I did have my car broken into but I was not present) but that does not mean it could not happen to someone just visiting. I still WOULD NOT EVER consider carrying a handgun in Maryland, the laws are very strict and if I was that paranoid about visiting someone in Maryland I simply would not go!
    Rehab is for quitters!!

(Delaware County)

I live in PA, and occasionally have to travel to NJ and MD for work! It ain't worth it.

While you stated "I'm not suggesting doing anything illegal", that is precisley what you'd be doing.

Others here have counciled you correctly, wait and the RONJ and ROMD will come around. All of the crime laden states have to wake up some day and notice the only difference between them and us is LOWER crime rates in states that allow law abiding people to manage for their own safety!!!

I feel naked without my sidearm, and I stay more aware of my surroundings when not carrying! Be safe and don't be a criminal!!
    NRA Training Counselor, Chief Range Safety Officer, NRA Benefactor Member

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dannytheman View Post
    I live in PA, and occasionally have to travel to NJ and MD for work! It ain't worth it.

While you stated "I'm not suggesting doing anything illegal", that is precisley what you'd be doing.

Others here have counciled you correctly, wait and the RONJ and ROMD will come around. All of the crime laden states have to wake up some day and notice the only difference between them and us is LOWER crime rates in states that allow law abiding people to manage for their own safety!!!

I feel naked without my sidearm, and I stay more aware of my surroundings when not carrying! Be safe and don't be a criminal!!
    I'm in Annapolis, MD, this weekend and I feel naked without my gun. I was at the Annapolis mall last night and I asked my party why so many LEOs and they said there's been a few shootings at this mall in the last couple of years and I'm like oh that's lovely why am I here. I wonder if you can sue these lawmakers if you got shot in a robery all because you can't carry for self defense because of their strict laws. They don't care.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast