Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Monroe County)

Default Reloading machine suggestions

I shoot mainly 9mm for IDPA but also have an AR that i would like to shoot more. Recently i borrowed a Dillon SDB from a friend and have enjoyed using it. I have run about 600 rounds through it in about 3 hours of taking my time to get used to it. My delema is, should i get a SDB now and forgo the loading of 223 and pay someone else to do it for me? or should i get a 650 in 9mm and set it up for 223 later on. The reason i skipped the 550 is because i don't think i would enjoy having to index the machine myself. I want to take my time with the choice as i will run about 2K of 9mm brass that i have. That should give me a few months of time to think.

(Lycoming County)

Default Re: Reloading machine suggestions

i personally have a lee loadmaster and love it. I've loaded at least 10k rounds maybe closer to 15k round with it and i have only spent maybe 20 dollars in repair parts. the parts to set it up for different applications are a lot cheaper than a Dillon as well

(Pike County)

I would go with the 650. You can change dies to do both calibers. or you could go with the sdb for 9mm and buy a single stage to do rifles.
    You can't beat Dillons custumer support and service. I load .38 Special on a Dillon SDB. I've never have had any problems with my press. I like it alot.

(Fayette County)

My vote would be go with the 650, unless you dont expect to shoot your AR very much, in which case I would gladly go with this SDB.

For me I load high volumes of handgun rounds, and small amount of rifle loads. So my rifle stuff gets done on a single stage press.

(Berks County)

I had bought a hornady LNL AP about a year ago and Ive been very happy with it, Hornady is as good to deal with as dillon is to, if something does happen just call them and thell mail the parts out for free, there sending me out a new .223 die as we speak since the one I have has a little chip out of the neck area on the die. I just called them and no questions, they just said well mail that right out. I can load around 300 rounds in an hour on mine, even with reloading the primers, if I had a couple more primer tubes that would cut my time down if I had them pre filled.

(Schuylkill County)

Some of Dillon's presses use proprietary dies. I think the SBD is one of them. That's the only reason I wold not use it.

And primer tubes are ghey.

hey,

I have had a Dillon 550 for about 20 years now and am completely happy with it. Any standard thread dies will work. The hand indexing is really not a problem and will become a natural motion.

I have a Mini-14 and it loves to eat ammuntion. The Dillon just keeps making ammo and has never stopped. I have NEVER had a failure or broken component with this machine.

You will hear a lot of different opinions about the color of the machine that you buy. Dillon is pricey, but the support and products are excellent.

Ace