Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Columbia County)

Default Handgun purchase question

Hello all, new guy here. I have a question that I have not been able to find a definitive answer to. I will make a long story short, me and my wife were having marital problems and I sought out help from a mental health professional because I was not taking it very well, who would. It was a completely voluntary decision. I was given a medication and took voluntary anger management classes. Timeline this was march of 2013. We ended up working things out and I could not be happier. Needless to say, I stopped taking the medication since I was back to normal and also dropped the anger management classes. I had purchased a firearm prior to this and still own firearms now. Now, with the changes in mental health reporting, could this bar me from purchasing another firearm? I still have my concealed carry permit and my firearms and they were never seized or revoked at any time. I have researched all the gun laws for Pennsylvania and have not been able to draw a clear conclusion. I appreciate any info or opinions regarding this matter. Thank you all very much.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Handgun purchase question

If you entered it voluntarily... You should be good to go

(Columbia County)

Quote Originally Posted by BimmerJon View Post
    If you entered it voluntarily... You should be good to go
    Yes sir, everything was voluntary. Thank you for your time. I am looking into purchasing another firearm and didn't want to look like a goofball in the gun shop. Again, thank you for your time.

(Philadelphia County)

had you been deemed ineligible to purchase or own firearms
    they would have revoked your LTCF,
    as you would have not received that notice in the mail, you should be good to go

(Chester County)

Unless you were formally adjudicated by a court as a mental defective or committed to a mental hospital, you should have no issues.

Pa prohibited person:

18 PA CS 6105(c)(4)A person who has been adjudicated as an incompetent or who has been involuntarily committed to a mental institution for inpatient care and treatment under section 302, 303 or 304 of the provisions of the act of July 9, 1976 (P.L.817, No.143), known as the Mental Health Procedures Act. This paragraph shall not apply to any proceeding under section 302 of the Mental Health Procedures Act unless the examining physician has issued a certification that inpatient care was necessary or that the person was committable.
    Federally prohibited:

18 USC 922(g)(4) who has been adjudicated as a mental defective or who has been committed to a mental institution;
    IANAL

(Columbia County)

Quote Originally Posted by caferacer View Post
    had you been deemed ineligible to purchase or own firearms
    they would have revoked your LTCF,
    as you would have not received that notice in the mail, you should be good to go
    Thank you, I appreciate the help. I apologize that I introduced myself to this forum with this question but I have been studying the laws for a week now and the legal lingo is ridiculous and I figured this would be the place to clear things up. Thank you all for the help.

(Lackawanna County)

Were you ever treated inpatient, or were you just seeing someone who prescribed medication?

I could be wrong, but doesn't the involuntary commitment mean inpatient treatment?

If talking to a shrink made someone prohibited from owning/purchasing firearms, I think there'd be a lot fewer people owning firearms.

(Columbia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Democrat Gun Owner View Post
    Were you ever treated inpatient, or were you just seeing someone who prescribed medication?

I could be wrong, but doesn't the involuntary commitment mean inpatient treatment?

If talking to a shrink made someone prohibited from owning/purchasing firearms, I think there'd be a lot fewer people owning firearms.
    Just outpatient. If I can remember correctly it was bi weekly with therapist and monthly with the psychologist.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Democrat Gun Owner View Post

Or a lot more people not getting the help they might need out of fear of losing their firearm rights

You cannot lose your right. If they can take it away from you it is a privledge. Your rights are God given.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast