Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (York County)

Default Got my Grandpa's .22

Winchester Model 190. I remember him squirrel hunting with this gun when I was just young pup. It's nothing special, it's nothing pretty but it's Pop's.

Super happy right now. He's been gone for almost 10 years now and his 22 is now in my hands for shooting. A very pleasant surprise.

I can't wait to get home and go shooting.
    By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail. Benjamin Franklin

(Beaver County)

Default Re: Got my Grandpa's .22

That's what makes it special is that it was your grandfathers.

Enjoy the memories when shooting it.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

(York County)

Ahh man, it was like a time warp when my mom handed it to me. I almost teared up. That was the first gun I ever shot. Lots of memories plinking cans off of the fence with Pop yelling at me "hold it tight to your shoulder, you're shooting like a girl" LMAO!!
    By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail. Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by felly smarts View Post
    Winchester Model 190. I remember him squirrel hunting with this gun when I was just young pup. It's nothing special, it's nothing pretty but it's Pop's.

Super happy right now. He's been gone for almost 10 years now and his 22 is now in my hands for shooting. A very pleasant surprise.

I can't wait to get home and go shooting.
    How cool is that!!? A family heirloom on it's journey. Keep in mind, you don't own it, you just have temporary custody.....and responsibility. It belongs to your children's children. And from them to their's.

I have my father's 1938 Winchester 62, pump action .22. I learned to shoot with that rifle, my brother (now a competitive shooter) learned with that gun, my 5 kids learned, my one granddaughter so far learned, every single newbie I ever taught fired this first. Antis have been given a new outlook by stepping up to my challenge to their fears with that rifle. It's book value is about $1200 but for me it's zero. The sentimental value, it's history with my family (and my own history with it) is far beyond any cash value. I own two guns that if they are to be taken from me while I am alive, I will have to be killed for them. This is one of them.

Now you have one too.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

(Philadelphia County)

PICS! PICS! PICS!

Quote Originally Posted by caferacer View Post
    PICS! PICS! PICS!
    PICS! PICS!PICS!PICS!

We get enough people here and we can start a wave.
    When the SHTF......be the fan.

(Northampton County)

That's really cool.

My Grandpa had a bringback Mauser and my uncle took it from his dead cold hands LOL . Hasn't shot it since the 70s. There are two people in the family that better get it when my uncle gets tired of it or dies. One is me. I should have it already, but one of his kids went AIRBORNE so I would be OK with that as well.

(Washington County)

Great story about the rifle, thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by ErSwnn View Post
    A family heirloom on it's journey. Keep in mind, you don't own it, you just have temporary custody.....and responsibility. It belongs to your children's children. And from them to their's.
    My thoughts exactly.

After finding a picture of my grandmother with her 303 British Enfield (she hunted whitetail into her '60s), I thought I should carry on that tradition and had pictures of me taken with the Enfield, and I keep those two pictures with documentation in my desk clearly labeled. I'm sure my 24-year stepdaughter doesn't understand the importance of that Enfield to me, but maybe someday she will.

Family history is lost when we fail to document the little things that really matter to us, so keep a log of ownership of these family heirloom guns so years from now your descendants can follow the journey with both pictures and journals. It only takes a minute to take a picture of you with the rifle and your latest big buck with a few notes of the hunt.
    Washington County Machine Guns & Tactical Range -- CMP Affiliated Club -- FFL 07 / FFL 10 / FEL 20 / SOT 02 / ITAR
    Largest MG Rental Business on the entire East Coast. M2HB, M9 Flamethrower, M67 Grenades, M240 Bravo, M249 SAW, M1919, RPD, M60, Bowling Ball Mortar.
    Now offering High-Explosive Classes (Open to the Public)

(Berks County)

This is what gun banners don't understand. These are the guns that you will have to pry from dead fingers. It's a part of the sole. I'm happy for you gun owner to gun owner, happy new year.

(Berks County)

That's great felly. I wish that something like that had happened to me.

That is one priceless piece. Enjoy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast