Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Need Advice:Bushnell vs. Leupold?

I stand at a fork in the road. I am looking for a new scope for my Savage 110 30-06. Its previous scope recently broke thanks to an act of God. Fortunately its timing was perfect and it caught me in between purchases. Seeing my beloved Savage naked quickly caused the saved funds to be rerouted. I was going to take the money and put it towards either a Leupold Mark 4 or the Bushnell Yardage Pro 4-12x42 Rangefinder scope? I understand the scopes are fairly different and hence my dilemma. I have grown up always impressed by the Leupold's and I have yet to have a bad experience. The Bushnell is a newer concept and I was wondering If anyone has heard anything about it. Pro? Cons? I appreciate any advice you can give, whether about either scope of what you think I should do. Im also open to suggestions about other scopes (Almost went with a VX-L before considering the other two) Thanks and good shooting to y`all

(Westmoreland County)

Default Re: Need Advice:Bushnell vs. Leupold?

Leupold any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

However, you mention the Mark 4. That is a military grade optic and they offer few choices in std. reticles (e.g. duplex) with most being mil dots.

Is your application sporting use or as a precision rifle?

(Clearfield County)

I don't have any experence with that bushnell scope but I do have a bushnell elite 3200 scope on my 30-06 I am very pleased with it
    Steve

(Luzerne County)

Quote Originally Posted by FordDieselSteve View Post
    I don't have any experence with that bushnell scope but I do have a bushnell elite 3200 scope on my 30-06 I am very pleased with it
    Same here. I've always like Bushnell. In fact I plan on putting a 3200 Elite Tactical 5-15x scope on my Savage .223 heavy barrel when I get it.

The use would be for sporting purposes now but I had also hoped to build on the savage platform towards precision later on. I wanted a mil-dot Leupold, and I enjoy the M1 Style Dials on the M4 models. I had considered having a custom model, where I would use the VX-L for its 56mm objective lens then swap out the reticle to a Mil-dot and the M1 knobs but the mil-dot doesn't seem compatible. The Leupold I believe is the better scope but given the price difference, I don't know that the Bushnell is that much worse ($1,224.99 for the Leupold vs $700 for the Bushnell on sale)Thanks again for the advice and any additional input would be much appreciated.

(Bucks County)

The two year warranty would crush the deal on the Bushnell. Leupold will honor their warranty for the life of the scope.
    Before one would spend that kind of money on a Bushnell seems to me you could purchase a Leupold VXIII LR 4.5X14X50. The Long range line has 30mm tubes. Get the mildot reticle and buy a rangefinder. You are still ahead of the game.
    My preference is the Leupold.
    Jeff
    NRA Benefactor member
    NRA 2nd Amendment Foundation
    Colt Collectors Association
    Browning Collectors Association
    Sharps Arms Collectors Association
    SASS Association

SANS PEUR et SANS REPROACHE

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by SouthPawPatriot View Post
    The use would be for sporting purposes now but I had also hoped to build on the savage platform towards precision later on. I wanted a mil-dot Leupold, and I enjoy the M1 Style Dials on the M4 models. I had considered having a custom model, where I would use the VX-L for its 56mm objective lens then swap out the reticle to a Mil-dot and the M1 knobs but the mil-dot doesn't seem compatible. The Leupold I believe is the better scope but given the price difference, I don't know that the Bushnell is that much worse ($1,224.99 for the Leupold vs $700 for the Bushnell on sale)Thanks again for the advice and any additional input would be much appreciated.
    A Mil Dot reticle is not a good choice for a sporting rifle.

(Dauphin County)

I bought a Leupold scope about 2 years ago for 299.99 i think it was a 3-9-40 and i love it....extra sharp and i have a nikon pro staff scope and during low light situation the leupold always seems to be brighter than the Nikon.......Leupold

As TonyF said "Leupold any day of the week and twice on Sunday."

(Berks County)

I bought a Leupold last year for my Savage and I did the worst thing I hit the shooting bench and knocked the gun right to the ground. I broke the flip cover on the front but when I put a round down range it was still on dead center.

I will be a Leupold customer for life. I bought the same model as crakkajakka15 did for the 299.99 from SWFA online.
    The truth shall set you free.

They can have my guns when they pry them from my cold dead hands

I can not wait until NJ sinks in the ocean and PA has ocean front property

Im sold. I think that testimonial was the final straw I needed to push me over completely to the Leupold. I appreciate all the advice, because without you I think this debate would have gone on a lot longer in my head. I always liked the Leupold as the favorite but the money difference got me. However, i know myself and my luck, the lifetime warranty will be priceless! Thanks again, Happy Shooting to y`all

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast