Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dillon XL 650

(Westmoreland County)

Default Dillon XL 650

Thinking about getting one. would like any information that you might have if you own one.Have been reading allot about it. But just wondering what anyone here has to say about it.

(Centre County)

Default Re: Dillon XL 650

If you like to shoot, and reload you will never be unhappy with a 650. I bought one last year, although it has been sitting dormant for a few months it makes loading large quantities of ammo so easy. Of course the downfalls of a progressive press are still present as they are with all. (Paying closer attention, easy to miss a powder charge, etc.)

My only complaint with the XL650 is the powder measure, it works great with ball powder but is not the best with extruded. That can be "fixed" by polishing the bottom of the powder tube, but its a small price to pay for volume ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Jean-Luc Picard
    Oh yes, thats how it starts. The road from legitimate suspicion to rampant paranoia is very much shorter than we think.

(Centre County)

I love the X650, I don't have much problem with the powder measure as I mainly reload pistol ammo using ball powders. Dillion's "No BS" warranty is the best in the business IMO. I have never had any problem getting replacement parts, even when it was my stupid self that caused the problem.

If that is what you are thinking about I say go for it, you will not be disappointed!
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Lancaster County)

You convinced me, I'm getting one.

Actually, I've been planning it now for over a year.
    Bought another bench two days ago just for the XL650.
    I will be placing my order this week.

See if I can load a few thousand 223 this winter.
    http://www.slcfsa.com/index.html
    http://www.pafoa.org/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1130&dateline=1165613  693Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!

(Westmoreland County)

Thanks for the information.Now I'm also considering the hornady LOCK-N-LOAD AP

Quote Originally Posted by RUDY850 View Post
    Thanks for the information.Now I'm also considering the hornady LOCK-N-LOAD AP

Thats what I went with myself. I've been happy with it.
    No, not billet martini glasses... Baffles.... EVIL Baffles

(Bucks County)

I just saw one at a friend's place tonight and was VERY impressed with how easy and fast it'll press rounds. It's apparently more pricey, but it'll crank 'em out like there's no tomorrow!

(Schuylkill County)

A 650 has all the same problems as every other press.. priming, powder, indexing etc. The 'No BS' warranty is nice, but unless you really abuse the press its not worth the premium. Yeah, there are stories about rusted hulks getting revamps for free etc, but again, there is not $500 worth of stuff on the press to begin with.

My choice is hands down a Lee Loadmaster. For $215 it includes *everything* except brass, powder, primers and bullets.

A L-n-L for $350 still needs dies and a shell plate.. $400 plus components.

A dillon 650, spec'd out is $1300. That includes *A LOT* of goodies, but a caliber change is STILL $217.85. SO at $217.85 you are still 30 minutes away from a caliber change, double that if you have to change the primer size. Most ppl simply buy another 650 and avoid the primer swap issue if they use large and small primers.

YOU WILL WANT SEPARATE, COMPLETE TOOLHEADS FOR CALIBER CHANGES. Even on my Loadmaster I *quickly* tired of the reseat the die game, plus it introduces errors in the process. I change complete calibers in 5 minutes (no joke) and it costs me $75 for *everything* (toolhead, powder measure, dies, shellplate).

The bottom line is this.. no matter what press you buy, the quality of the ammo is exactly the same. Its up to the operator to measure, adjust and control the press and the making of the cartridge. All the press makers share patents, and no one press has a feature that is not available on any other press.

(Berks County)

Farbmeister
    How do you like the Loadmaster? I have the Pro1000, and it is good for the money. I do not see the advantage to upgrade to the Loadmaster. I prime by hand so I removed the primer assembly and added the factory crimp as the 3rd stage. What do you gain in the Loadmaster over the Pro1000
    The truth shall set you free.

They can have my guns when they pry them from my cold dead hands

I can not wait until NJ sinks in the ocean and PA has ocean front property

(Tioga County)

I use the primer setup on my loadmaster, no issues except I sometimes forget and run out of primers, My Bad. It has 5 stations. I use them all for doing pistol. 4 die set plus priming. multitube case feeder / collator I use the autodisk system with the Adjustable chargebar each turret has it's own. It only takes a couple of minutes to change the primer system and shell plate to go from 45 to 38. That includes adjusting the case feeder.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast