Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Help me buy my next gun!

I've narrowed the choice for my next gun down to these five candidates. Which would you choose, and why? Whatever gun I get will be my new CCW.

1. Kimber Eclipse Pro II
    2. Kimber Pro Carry II in either .45ACP or 9mm
    3. Springfield Loaded Champion - stainless or green/black bi-tone
    4. Para Ordnance Slim Hawg - stainless
    5. Kimber Pro Aegis II

My two main selling points are obviously first of all reliability, and a secondary consideration is the durability of the finish, since the gun will be carried in a kydex/leather holster.

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: Help me buy my next gun!

Why? when you've got a Glock 19.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by SHEPHERD321 View Post
    Why? when you've got a Glock 19.
    Because I love 1911s. What a strange reply . . . haha

(Chester County)

Kimber Pro-Carry II .45ACP.

I don't trust 9mm 1911's for carry.
    The Para's have left me consistently un-impressed, and I loath their LDA triggers.
    The Aegis isn't as much of a fighting gun, as the Pro Carry is.
    The SA doesn't have the mag well or front strap checkering, which I like on carry 1911's.

I prefer SA to Kimber, but unless your considering working on the guns afterwards....I'd get what has the features you want, now. For me, that means the Pro Carry.

(Franklin County)

You know a Springfield would make a nice mate to that Custom. Instead of buying a loaded Champion though, I'd go with an Ultra Compact. You only lose 1/2" of barrel but you get the shorter 'officers' size frame.

Nice thing about Springfields is they don't have any of the firing pin safety crap. I love my Kimbers, but I only have one Series II and that's because the price was right (really right). The first thing I did though was remove all the series II parts.

(Westmoreland County)

I'm not going to comment on the list of firearms but you should not concern yourself with the durability of the finish. If you use a pistol, any finish will wear. Even stainless steel will begin to exhibit evidence of "wear" due to friction / abrasion.

(Allegheny County)

Agreed.

My first handgun,(G19)was bought as a "house gun"/range gun, and it hasn't seen a scratch since I bought it. I like to keep my things in great condition.

That said, my carry gun is one I couldn't give a sh!t about scratching, or the finish wearing from holster use. (however, dropping mags to the ground still makes me cringe!)
    Buy it, use it, use it some more. It's a tool. Keep it clean and it will last you a lifetime. No matter how ugly it gets over the years.

Hmmm... on second thought, Glocks are ugly right out of the box. Perhaps that's the real reason I don't care about how it looks? LOL
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Agreed.

My first handgun,(G19)was bought as a "house gun"/range gun, and it hasn't seen a scratch since I bought it. I like to keep my things in great condition.

That said, my carry gun is one I couldn't give a sh!t about scratching, or the finish wearing from holster use. (however, dropping mags to the ground still makes me cringe!)
    You're not still using cardboard are you?

Buy it, use it, use it some more. It's a tool. Keep it clean and it will last you a lifetime. No matter how ugly it gets over the years.
    Spoken like a true student of the art of defensive pistolcraft.

Yoda is pleased.

(Delaware County)

There is something to be said for spending so much on a carry gun. Last winter, I carried my Ultra Raptor II daily. One glance and you know you ain't looking at a safe queen.

Just because the Kimber started out purdy, doesn't mean it will be that way at the finish line.

It is compact, light, dependable and packs a hell of a punch. That is all that matters to me.

Now that summer is upon us, it now time to abuse my new S&W 360.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by reels18 View Post
    There is something to be said for spending so much on a carry gun. Last winter, I carried my Ultra Raptor II daily. One glance and you know you ain't looking at a safe queen.

Just because the Kimber started out purdy, doesn't mean it will be that way at the finish line.

It is compact, light, dependable and packs a hell of a punch. That is all that matters to me.

Now that summer is upon us, it now time to abuse my new S&W 360.
    I certainly understand and appreciate your point. However, I don't feel there is anything wrong with after spending upwards of $1,000 on a gun, wanting a durable finish so that the gun will look reasonably pretty after being holstered and drawn a few hundred times.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast