Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: 9.3X62

(Delaware County)

Default 9.3X62

Anyone have any experience with this cartridge or own a rifle chambered for it? I've been reading up on it and it seems pretty awesome. I've always been into "different" rounds and "different" rifles, I guess I just like variety in my daily diet. I've found that rounds for this can range very high for a box of Euro made hunting ammo, there are a couple US makers, and PRVI produces a load at around $20-$30 a box depending on where you buy online. Of course I would handload after building a nice brass collection if I owned something in this caliber.

If you have any first hand experience let me know.

(Bucks County)

Default Re: 9.3X62

I have an FN built in the late '50's for this cartridge. it is a terrific round. About the same energy levels as the .35 Whelan. There is not a wide selection of bullets for handloading. The ones out there are expensive. Rifle does have a substantal amount of recoil. Caliber is/was very popular in Africa for medium skinned big game hunting.

Jeff
    NRA Benefactor member
    NRA 2nd Amendment Foundation
    Colt Collectors Association
    Browning Collectors Association
    Sharps Arms Collectors Association
    SASS Association

SANS PEUR et SANS REPROACHE

(Delaware County)

So I guess it would be cheaper to go with the PRVI ammo if your rifle shot it well enough. I've used a friends .35 whelen and it did not seem to have much more recoil than my .30-06. I assumed since the case is the same, bullet is heavier, but the rifle is heavier also. 9.3x62 is basically the same case as .30-06 also, or you can rework 06 cases and trim them down.

However, the .35 Whelen I shot was dead on at 100yds., I mean 3 shots making 1 ragged hole. But at 200yds this was not the outcome. There was a significant drop and the windage left some to be desired.

With that in mind I most likely would not hunt with a 9.3x62 caliber firearm. This would strictly be a novelty item. A larger bore cartridge for me to bring to the range and shoot from time to time and have buddies say "What the hell are you shooting today?"

But, there could be a Bear or Elk hunt in the future where I decided to leave the .300 at home and take the 9.3, why not?

(Bucks County)

Cases can be formed from 06 brass but the case necks must be trimmed. The recoil is more then a .35 Whelan due to the heavier bullets that can be used ( at least in my opinion ). But then my rifle is not a heavy weight.

Jeff
    NRA Benefactor member
    NRA 2nd Amendment Foundation
    Colt Collectors Association
    Browning Collectors Association
    Sharps Arms Collectors Association
    SASS Association

SANS PEUR et SANS REPROACHE