Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Barack Obama's Religious Beliefs & Background: What Does Barack Obama Believe?

Barack Obama's religious background is more diverse than that of most prominent politicians, but it may prove to be representative of future generations of Americans who grow up in an increasingly diverse America. His mother was raised by non-practicing Christians; his father was raised a Muslim but was an atheist by the time he had married Obama's mother. Obama's step-father was also Muslim, but of an eclectic kind who could make room for animist and Hindu beliefs. Neither Obama nor his mother were ever atheists, but she raised him in a relatively secular household where he learned about religion.

In his book The Audacity of Hope, Barack Obama writes and I quote:

"I was not raised in a religious household. For my mother, organized religion too often dressed up closed-mindedness in the garb of piety, cruelty and oppression in the cloak of righteousness. However, in her mind, a working knowledge of the world's great religions was a necessary part of any well-rounded education. In our household the Bible, the Koran, and the Bhagavad Gita sat on the shelf alongside books of Greek and Norse and African mythology.

On Easter or Christmas Day my mother might drag me to church, just as she dragged me to the Buddhist temple, the Chinese New Year celebration, the Shinto shrine, and ancient Hawaiian burial sites.In sum, my mother viewed religion through the eyes of the anthropologist; it was a phenomenon to be treated with a suitable respect, but with a suitable detachment as well."

Although this doesn't suggest that Obama is anything it clearly doesn't say what Religion he practices today...?
    Last edited by Gtbullet; May 28th, 2009 at 10:30 AM.
    Gt

(Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Barack Obama's Religious Beliefs & Background: What Does Barack Obama Believe?

Its time we voted an Atheist into office. Too much of this religious stuff, and it only gets us nowhere.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

Default Re: Barack Obama's Religious Beliefs & Background: What Does Barack Obama Believe?

What difference does it make? He can practice and believe whatever he wants so long as he doesn't try to shove it on to me (or anyone else) and he keeps it out of the job of running the country.

From what I've seen, religion has not played a role in the way he's run the country thus far and it should stay that way. His focus should be getting the economy back on track and upholding the Constitution. That includes keeping his hands off of our guns.

(Berks County)

This thread is being moved to the Lounge, as from the first post it's seems that this discussion has nothing to do with Law & Politics other than that the subject is Obama.

And now that my administrative duty in this thread is over for now, I'll comment by saying that it IS possible for a person to have sound beliefs and be morally stable, and NOT be devoutly religious. More generally, if one looks back through history, one will find that religion has been more a CAUSE of problems in government than a SOLUTION.
    Last edited by ChamberedRound; May 28th, 2009 at 11:29 AM.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Pike County)

As I'm sure everyone knows by now, Obama caught heat for attending the Trinity United Church of Christ headed by Jeremiah Wright. Whether or not he necessarily subscribes to the tenets set forth by the UCC is unknown, as far as I'm aware.

IMHO, he worships himself and the State full of disarmed, voiceless taxpayers he's hellbent on creating. He's a dangerous man, regardless of his religious beliefs.
    "I really have the American dream licked." -- Ted Nugent

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    What difference does it make? He can practice and believe whatever he wants so long as he doesn't try to shove it on to me (or anyone else) and he keeps it out of the job of running the country.

From what I've seen, religion has not played a role in the way he's run the country thus far and it should stay that way. His focus should be getting the economy back on track and upholding the Constitution. That includes keeping his hands off of our guns.
    You are right it doesn't mean anything, I was curious as to what the man’s beliefs are and thought it might be good conversation on the forum. But the more I think about it, it may spark arguments, with that in mind we can lock the thread. It surely wasn't my intention to start any arguments or anymore ill bashing of Obama. There is enough room for that in regards to his political agenda during his term in office.
    Last edited by Gtbullet; May 28th, 2009 at 11:39 AM.
    Gt

Quote Originally Posted by SHJ View Post
    As I'm sure everyone knows by now, Obama caught heat for attending the Trinity United Church of Christ headed by Jeremiah Wright. Whether or not he necessarily subscribes to the tenets set forth by the UCC is unknown, as far as I'm aware.

IMHO, he worships himself and the State full of disarmed, voiceless taxpayers he's hellbent on creating. He's a dangerous man, regardless of his religious beliefs.
    I totally AGREE with the above, religious or not he is a dangerous person and is very hell bent on making this country into something of his liking..

Semper Fi,

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by SHJ View Post

Ahmen Brother, he wants to tear us apart right by right. and in doing so control our lives and everything we do say think and beleive.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gtbullet View Post
    Although this doesn't suggest that Obama is anything it clearly doesn't say what Religion he practices today...?
    Really? Hasn't this been covered? Remember the whole Rev. Wright thing? It was at the Trinity United Church of Christ. Thus he's a Christian.
    Obama and his family celebrated Easter Sunday at St. John's Church, located across from the White House.
    St John's sounds Christian to me.

Oh wait, he's a closet Muslim and has been going to a Christian church as part of his cover.

Sounds to me like his mom was an Atheist/Agnostic. Exposed her son to different theologies, and let him choose which to (or not) to practice. Two thumbs up with a twist to Mamma Obama.

Weird how in a country with FREEDOM of religion this really matters. I could care less if he worships the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Actually, that'd be prefered.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by tlgpa View Post
    Really? Hasn't this been covered? Remember the whole Rev. Wright thing? It was at the Trinity United Church of Christ. Thus he's a Christian.
    Obama and his family celebrated Easter Sunday at St. John's Church, located across from the White House.
    St John's sounds Christian to me.

Oh wait, he's a closet Muslim and has been going to a Christian church as part of his cover.

Sounds to me like his mom was an Atheist/Agnostic. Exposed her son to different theologies, and let him choose which to (or not) to practice. Two thumbs up with a twist to Mamma Obama.

Weird how in a country with FREEDOM of religion this really matters. I could care less if he worships the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Actually, that'd be prefered.
    Yes, for 20 years and thank the Lord that he never heard the America hating hate speech of the fine Rev.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast