Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Kahr MK-9

Detroit (but Pittsburgh is always home), Michigan

Default New Kahr MK-9

Happy to report that I am the proud owner of an all-stainless steel 5.3", 23oz Kahr MK9! I'm looking forward to the requisite 200+ round break-in shooting session. Unfortunately, with my schedule as it is, I don't know if I'll even be able to shoot it for at least a week or two. (The Monroeville meet up on the 13th is probably a no-go, unfortunately.)

Any words of wisdom on care/maintenance from other Kahr owners?

(Berks County)

Default Re: New Kahr MK-9

Congrats, I've been contemplating buying this gun for some time. Waiting to find one at the right price.

I will be VERY interested in what you think of this gun as you break it in and use it. Please keep me posted (PM me if you'd like), as a first-hand account of using this gun will go a long way in helping me finalize my decision.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

Definitely. Will do.

(Allegheny County)

Congrats on the purchase!
    is it intended as a carry gun?

I think you're going to like it. I know I would like to have one.
    As much as I like my Glock, I like the feel of an all steel handgun so much more.

If we ever get together at one of the shoots, I'd like to take a look at it.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(York County)

I've had an MK9 for several years. I think I bought it in '98 or '99.
    The break in (200 rounds then too) went smoothly...no failures at all.

This gun is quite accurate for being so small. Other folks who tried it also commented on it's accuracy. It's also never jammed

Downside...it's a bit heavy for pocket carry which is my most frequent method. Since it's such a short slide, the springs are strong, so aligning the witness marks can be difficult which makes take down harder then a Glock, for example.

I tried several different holsters (mostly IWB) and never found one I liked or felt comfortable with, so I never carried the gun much. I kept it as my desk gun.

About 6, 8 months ago, I decided to try OWB holsters. I found one I liked(retention style). and have been carrying the MK9 much more often. I do carry it with one in the chamber.

The steel Kahrs aren't cheap at all. Neither are the magazines if you want to buy a few spares.

I hope you do as well with your MK9 as I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Emptymag View Post
    Congrats on the purchase!
    is it intended as a carry gun?

I think you're going to like it. I know I would like to have one.
    As much as I like my Glock, I like the feel of an all steel handgun so much more.

If we ever get together at one of the shoots, I'd like to take a look at it.
    Yes, it is intended as a carry gun (whenever our Sheriff finishes his no doubt thorough investigation of my character and background, and then sends me that little orange card so that I can either take a really long lunch or a 1/2 vacation day to go down to the courthouse to pick up my permit during the hours of 11:30:23 and 11:45:49, which are apparently the firearms department's new hours.) Actually, since it's the only one I have, it will double for home defense, too. Ideally, I'd like to get a Glock 19 to serve for "investigation of things that go bump in the night" duty, but my last name ain't Rockefeller, so there you go. Maybe next year.

I sure hope I can make it to a group shoot one of these days! Too bad the upcoming one has to be on Mother's Day...alas, duty calls and all that.

Quote Originally Posted by RoyJackson View Post
    I've had an MK9 for several years. I think I bought it in '98 or '99.
    The break in (200 rounds then too) went smoothly...no failures at all.

This gun is quite accurate for being so small. Other folks who tried it also commented on it's accuracy. It's also never jammed

Downside...it's a bit heavy for pocket carry which is my most frequent method. Since it's such a short slide, the springs are strong, so aligning the witness marks can be difficult which makes take down harder then a Glock, for example.

I tried several different holsters (mostly IWB) and never found one I liked or felt comfortable with, so I never carried the gun much. I kept it as my desk gun.

About 6, 8 months ago, I decided to try OWB holsters. I found one I liked(retention style). and have been carrying the MK9 much more often. I do carry it with one in the chamber.

The steel Kahrs aren't cheap at all. Neither are the magazines if you want to buy a few spares.

I hope you do as well with your MK9 as I have.
    Roy,

You aren't kidding about the expense. And you are right about the weight, but I figure I can deal with it -- I seriously thought about the PM9, but there just were too many reviews online that started out "I love my PM9, when it works...." I haven't heard many complaints at all about the Kahr steel frames. Thought about the CW9, too, since it was cheaper and everyone raves about that one, too, but it wasn't as small as I wanted for a pocket gun. And the thing that swayed me away from Glocks (I was close to getting a G26) was that everyone I know personally who has a LTCF carries either a .22 Magnum or a .22LR because of size and convenience. The MK9 was almost as small as my cousin's Beretta Bobcat (4.9" long vs 5.3"), and packed a 9mm. Can't beat that.

Since you have one, two questions:

1.) Have any tips for taking it down? I know there's a "barrel alignment tool" sold on Kahr's website for the K9, is there anything like that for the MK9? http://www.kahrshop.com/cgi-bin/itemdetail.asp?itmid=69

2.) Is it worth getting that stainless steel guide rod that Kahr advertises? http://www.kahrshop.com/cgi-bin/item....asp?itmid=711

Thanks!

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by jkp1187 View Post
    ..... I seriously thought about the PM9, but there just were too many reviews online that started out "I love my PM9, when it works ...." I haven't heard many complaints at all about the Kahr steel frames. Thought about the CW9, too, since it was cheaper and everyone raves about that one, too, but it wasn't as small as I wanted for a pocket gun. ......
    I have a CW9, love the gun, pocket carry in my front pocket, have about 2000 flawless rounds thru it. When I bought the gun I originally intended to buy the PM9 but after having it in my hand I decided it was just to small to hold, even with the extended mag in. I wanted polymer because of the lessened weight. The CW9 was just more comfortable in my hand, the only reason I didn't get the PM9.

I was warned about putting the gun back together after stripping and cleaning, how, if everything wasn't done just right, I'd be sending it back to Kahr for repair. I had the guy who sold it to me show me the process and I had a local gun shop do the same, having seen it done twice it was fairly easy to do myself, although I was sweating a bit on the reassembly. I've since put a few hundred more thru it with no troubles.

Good luck with the MK9.

Thanks, Soberbyker. The guy at the shop demonstrated how to take down a CW9 for me, but he struggled with it a little, so I definitely want to see someone else do it before I do it myself.

Hey, since this is a brand-new firearm, am I supposed to do any sort of cleaning first before I take it to the range and start firing? I glanced thru the manual last night, but didn't see anything on that (but I wasn't looking too closely, either.)

(Allegheny County)

Ideally, I'd like to get a Glock 19 to serve for "investigation of things that go bump in the night" duty, but my last name ain't Rockefeller, so there you go. Maybe next year.
    Welcome to the world of "Honey, this _______ is "only" $____ ... it can be my Christmas gift!"

I've bought one "for Christmas" for the past five years. The G27 I'm picking up tonight is a rare purchase indeed.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast