Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Any Civil Air Patrol Veterans here?

Just curious if any PAFOA Members served in the Civil Air Patrol (or do currently) I was in it in the mid 80's and it was really a life changing experience! I am going to try and get my kids interested when they are of age...

IMHO, the CAP is a better experience than the Boy Scouts...we did more cool stuff than the Boy Scouts ever did...I got to fly in C-130's, Huey's, a KC-135 Tanker and even got to pilot a Cesna 172! Good memories! Lets hear some of yours...

(Luzerne County)

Red face Re: Any Civil Air Patrol Veterans here?

I did a few years in the early 90's. Didn't get to do so much cool stuff. When i started the Commander was a great guy but was active duty AF the guy who took over after the original commander was reassigned wasn't so great. If the original guy was there the whole time I probably would have ended up joining up.
    The only easy day was yesterday
    Does anyone know the number for 9-1-1?

Default Re: Any Civil Air Patrol Veterans here?

Yep,
    Squadron 711,
    I met a lot of good people there. It inspired me to become a pilot, and join the military.

I went to ranger school and emcampment with the C.A.P. during my years as a cadet. Flew all kinds of aircraft learned basic search and rescue, etc etc. I reccomend it to anyone with aspirations in their life.

Since the 90's they lowered the joining age from 14 I think to something like 12 just to let you know. I was in during the late 90's to early 00's, And I still have all my books.

If one plans on joining the military, you get a pay increase and a leg up on drill, customs & courtesy, P.t., history etc.

CAP FTW

Edit I went to Fort Indian Town Gap and Hawk Mountain.
    Last edited by Lazylaser; February 5th, 2009 at 09:13 AM.
    In order to get intelligent answers you must speak intelligently.

(Westmoreland County)

Yeah, the training you get is awesome if you decide to go active service...

I also did all the encampments...911th TAG, Fort Indian Town Gap, Hawk Mountain! Learned a lot in 4 years. I also got my share of plane crashes and lost person searches. My commander was big on rappelling and rescue training. I had more miles with a litter crew than I did on my first car! Oh, and we actually learned to use a map an compass along with our ELT locater!

(Lehigh County)

Squadron 801. I did a few years while my son was active and stuck around a while after.

I helped out with Encampment @ Indiantown Gap a couple of years. What a "Charlie Foxtrot" that was. The whole leadership structure disintegrated in our area right before I fell back into the shadows. I maintain my membership as a way of supporting what could be a great organization.
    Last edited by LastManOut; February 5th, 2009 at 07:33 AM. Reason: sp
    Veritas Vos Liberat

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by LastManOut View Post
    Squadron 801. I did a few years while my son was active and stuck around a while after.

I helped out with Encampment @ Indiantown Gap a couple of years. What a "Charlie Foxtrot" that was. The whole leadership structure disintegrated in our area right before I fell back into the shadows. I maintain my membership as a way of supporting what could be a great organization.
    Yes, I was in 1406 (now gone) but the same thing happened. The leadership slowly stated to fade and people lost interest. I bailed shortly after. If my kids get interested, I may join as a parent supporter to help make sure it doesn't happen again!

I used to be. It was a great time, learned lots, helped a couple folks out as part of the ground search and rescue team. Learned to rock climb, rappal, got to go flying, other fun goodies.

The quality of the CAP experience is heavily dependent on the quality of the local (volunteer) adult leadership. We had outstanding leadership.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Centre County)

Squadron 1433 (IIRC), Cadet from 1966-1971 (made it to Captain), joined the USAF and was a Senior Member (1Lt) with a squadron in Denver, CO. As a cadet, it was the Senior Members in my Group that wrote the first Ranger manual, many of the pictures were from when we went on training missions. Went to Hawk Mountain a few times. Been to a lot of aircraft accidents, lost people searches, etc. Learned a lot of good skills that will help if the SHTF ever happens. Overall a very good experience. Lots of good stories if a bunch of us ever get together (especially when the First Sargeant found my CAP officers uniform in my locker during an inspection [I was a USAF A1C at the time]).

Thought about rejoining when I retired from the USAF but talked to friends that stayed in the area and were active in CAP from mid 60's to 90's+ and they said it's changed and not necessarily for the good. Apparently if you are going to be involved with the cadets (instructor, etc.) you have to go through background checks, etc. They all (and these were people that had 30 years in CAP that it just wasn't worth it any more. That is sad, but I guess that's the way the US is going.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Talking Re: Any Civil Air Patrol Veterans here?

Been a member since 12 APR 91.

Not really ACTIVE at this point due to distance and work obligations, but still do what I can, when I can...

Sqdrn 904 (Quakertown) 91-94
    Dual enrolled with short term Sqdrn 911 (Lansdale), Commanded by Dan White
    Sqdrn 902 (Willow Grove JRB) 94-95
    Air Academy Cadet Sqdrn (Air Force Academy) 96-97
    Sqdrn 902 (Willow Grove JRB) 97-Present

Cadet from 12 APR 91 - 31 AUG 95
    Senior since 31 AUG 95

Held all cadet sqdrn positions except c/commander

Hawk MTN 1992, Ranger 1st Class since 1995, Ground Team Member, Ground Team Leader, MEDIC (Non-Hawk), EMT, Urban Direction Finder Qualified, Advanced Radio Operator, Etc...

Deputy Commander, Sqdrn 902 97-03
    Sr. Ranger Team Commander, Sqdrn 902 97-03
    MEDIC - Always...

ENC 91, 95, 96 (CO Wing), OTS 98, ENC 99, 00, 01, 05, 07

I'm pretty close on the years for ENC, might be off on one of them...

I feel it has made me who I am today... which is why I give back whenever I can... a Fantastic organization.

I never stayed in it for the glory or rank or politics, so I remained a 1LT for about 8 years... I just got CAPT in 2008.

18 years... I get to retire in another two...lol ;P
    Last edited by VTLO910; February 5th, 2009 at 10:03 AM.

(Luzerne County)

my Squadron was 209 last i heard it was disolved merged with another. The original commander was great when I joined. After he left it seemed to go down hill. I dont remember the details it was almost 20 years ago. The way i remeber it was some of the people that took over were former army or af. It seemed like the didn't have much rank when they were active duty and got off on being in charge. It was about power trip vs mentoring youth.
    The only easy day was yesterday
    Does anyone know the number for 9-1-1?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast