Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Transporting a hand gun to NJ

Newbie question. If answered before, please don't flame me.

I recently moved to the Bethlehem area from and purchased a pistol for home protection and target practice. I did purchase a revolver in NJ some time ago and went through the usual background check. Unfortunately, I sold it. (whishing I had it back now). Anyway, my buddies in NJ frequently have target practice day at one of their farms in NJ and I would like to participate.
    1) Can I legally transport my pistol to NJ for target practice? (provided I get a lower capacity magazine of course.)
    2) Although there is no reciprocity between NJ and PA regarding LTC, would it help if I had one from PA?

Thanks in advance.

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Transporting a hand gun to NJ

In NJ you can have max 15rd mags.
    I believe you can go directly to & from a range with the gun unloaded & seperate from its ammo. I'm not sure if gun must be in locked container. I understand that a loaded mag is the same as a loaded gun in NJ. Don't quote me on this.

NJ has their own laws on hollowpoint ammo.

If you're going to shoot in NJ,you may want to look into getting a NJ firearms ID card. I understand PA residents can get them. Any cop who stops you will likely treat you differently (probably better) if you have one & you would be able to buy ammo in NJ. These are not required to own or posess but to purchase guns or handgun ammo(any ammo ??? the law changed last year??) in NJ.

Better yet....have your friends come to PA to shoot. They can get Fla or Ut permits & carry in PA just as if they had a PA ltcf.

(Northampton County)

You may legally take a firearm into NJ for any legal activity. The gun and mags must be empty and the ammo in a seperate container Lock them in your trunk or way back in your van. ( out of reach )

Target practice on private property is a legal activity. You must travel directly there and back. Don't bring hollowpoints.

If you have other questions feel free to call me

Bob Bajor NRA instructor 610.54.4581

(Northampton County)

Glockman and Reverserboy, thanks for the info. I didn't know you could get a NJ firearms ID as a PA resident and I will look into that. I knew about the hi cap mag but liked the XDm so much I went for it in hopes they will come out with the 10 round mag.

Quote Originally Posted by Glockman View Post
    ...Don't bring hollowpoints...
    You can bring hollowpoints, just don't have them in a loaded gun.
    Bazinga

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Glockman View Post
    You may legally take a firearm into NJ for any legal activity. The gun and mags must be empty and the ammo in a seperate container Lock them in your trunk or way back in your van. ( out of reach )

Target practice on private property is a legal activity. You must travel directly there and back. Don't bring hollowpoints.

If you have other questions feel free to call me

Bob Bajor NRA instructor 610.54.4581

2C:39-5 Unlawful possession of weapons.

NJSA 2C:39-5. Unlawful Possession of Weapons.

b.Handguns. Any person who knowingly has in his possession any handgun, including any antique handgun without first having obtained a permit to carry the same as provided in N.J.S.2C:58-4, is guilty of a crime of the third degree if the handgun is in the nature of an air gun, spring gun or pistol or other weapon of a similar nature in which the propelling force is a spring, elastic band, carbon dioxide, compressed or other gas or vapor, air or compressed air, or is ignited by compressed air, and ejecting a bullet or missile smaller than three-eighths of an inch in diameter, with sufficient force to injure a person. Otherwise it is a crime of the second degree.

2C:39-6 Exemptions.

f.Nothing in subsections b., c. and d. of N.J.S.2C:39-5 shall be construed to prevent:

(1)A member of any rifle or pistol club organized in accordance with the rules prescribed by the National Board for the Promotion of Rifle Practice, in going to or from a place of target practice, carrying such firearms as are necessary for said target practice, provided that the club has filed a copy of its charter with the superintendent and annually submits a list of its members to the superintendent and provided further that the firearms are carried in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section

(3)A person transporting any firearm or knife while traveling:

(b)Directly to or from any target range, or other authorized place for the purpose of practice, match, target, trap or skeet shooting exhibitions, provided in all cases that during the course of the travel all firearms are carried in the manner specified in subsection g. of this section and the person has complied with all the provisions and requirements of Title 23 of the Revised Statutes and any amendments thereto and all rules and regulations promulgated thereunder;
    IANAL but unless you think you can argue in court that private property shooting constitutes a 'target range or other AUTHORIZED place' in the meaning of (3)(b), I wouldn't take the chance. IMO the intent is that the target range is one that is authorized not an ad hoc hill in the back yard.

(Northampton County)

That really throws a monkey wrench into the mix. I just got off the phone with the State Police who said as long as the gun was unloaded, locked in a lock box (separate from the ammunition) and in the trunk, there would be no problem.

He also said he believes you have to be a NJ resident to obtain a NJ firearms ID. I'm not sure I believe that. Otherwise, how would an out of state resident purchase a gun in NJ?

Now, what was that guys name again. haha.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by XDm40 View Post
    That really throws a monkey wrench into the mix. I just got off the phone with the State Police who said as long as the gun was unloaded, locked in a lock box (separate from the ammunition) and in the trunk, there would be no problem.

He also said he believes you have to be a NJ resident to obtain a NJ firearms ID. I'm not sure I believe that. Otherwise, how would an out of state resident purchase a gun in NJ?

Now, what was that guys name again. haha.
    Oh, one more thing, If I read that law correctly, It would seem that even a NJ resident transporting a gun to another NJ residents private property for the purpose of target practicing if that property is not authorized is also illegal. Can this be right?

...He also said he believes you have to be a NJ resident to obtain a NJ firearms ID. I'm not sure I believe that. Otherwise, how would an out of state resident purchase a gun in NJ?...
    You can't purchase a gun out of state.
    Bazinga

(Chester County)

Oh, one more thing, If I read that law correctly, It would seem that even a NJ resident transporting a gun to another NJ residents private property for the purpose of target practicing if that property is not authorized is also illegal. Can this be right?
    That's the way I read it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast