Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Default Newbie considering a PPSH-43 or KP-44 Kit Build

I have never done a kit build, but these old SMG kits are tantalizing.

Some things you should know: a) I am legal age to do this, b) I have no experience with metal working, and c) I have the budget to do this.

My questions for the community are broad:

1. Has anybody done a build of either of these?
    2. Can the metal working skills required to finish an 80% receiver and do trigger group, bolt modification and welds be learned by somebody new without too much trouble? I am starting from step 0 - no equipment, no friends "who can do it all", no nothing except the desire to try.
    3. Anybody in southeast PA with experience interested in maybe doing a build together with me ?

I am open to any and all suggestions from the gurus at this forum. I would love to build one of these (leaning toward the KP-44), but don't want to throw away $300 in parts because I totally screwed it up the first time I tried to weld something.

Thanks!

(Chester County)

Default Re: Newbie considering a PPSH-43 or KP-44 Kit Build

you cannot manufacture new machine guns for personal use... not legal.. as a civilian you can only own machine guns registered with the atf by may of 1986...

(Lancaster County)

Sorry, I should have added that the plans is to build an ATF approved semi-auto receiver from an 80% semi-auto receiver blank/template. Gunsmith-friendly documentation exists (weaponeer/weaponsguild) for how to do exactly this (resulting in an ATF-approvable semi-auto firearm), which is my objective.

Sorry for any confusion or for raising concerns about anything illegal. I want to keep it all completely legal.

Legalities:
    I'm not familiar with the "KP-44", but the Ppsh-43 was a short barrelled sub machinegun with a folding stock. For a weapon like this to be legal as a "class 1 (non-NFA) weapon, one of the following would be true:
    • The barrel would need to be lengthened to 16 inches
    • The buttstock would be permanently removed, or welded in the retracted position.
    NFA possibilities include classification of handgun with folding stock.

While full-auto manufacture is no longer permitted for the non-connected, you might be able to get approval for a handgun with a stock.

Logisitics:
    Make certain you have someone very competent in metalworking on retainer before you buy gun kits, they aren't for beginners.
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

(Northumberland County)

Quote Originally Posted by aschwabe View Post
    documentation exists (weaponeer/weaponsguild) for how to do exactly this
    your looking in exactly the right places.

try looking throught the tutorials there adn seeing what you think, or ask your questions there.

imo, this is NOT a good project for a beginner. especially a COMPLETE beginner. someone with a good bit of machining experience would likely still have difficulty with something like this for a first build.

trying to put together an ak would be a much easier first project.

BUT... you could always have someone on weaponeer or weapons guild do some of the machining for you, or buy the new construction semi parts, but then your getting into alot of $$$$$$$$.

word of advice, dont mention each others site (weaponeer and the guild) there's a little bad blood between the 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911shooter View Post
    when the world does end the 2 things that will be left are cock roaches and AK's

(Monroe County)

I'd suggest starting out with an AK... much more assistance out there and there are AK build parties held all over the place... still not a simple build but a little easier perhaps
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.