Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Clinton County)

Default Centre County Folks

With the increased interest in LTCF I am surprised there isn't 1 single public indoor range. I would think someone opened one up in the area they would be sitting on a gold mine. I think it would appeal to your average person who isn't an avid sportsman and doesn't want to join a sportsman club and shoot outside, especially in winter. The only indoor range I have come across in the area is Tripoli's Trigger in Williamsport who requires you to shoot expensive lead free rounds.

Thoughts?

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Centre County Folks

Indoor ranges are rare as hens teeth in the Laurel Highlands and PA Wilds.

I know of one in an 80 mile radius. It is private, and you have to qualify with rimfires first, then qualify with centerfires. Then the range is limited to non-magnum handguns(no rifles, except rimfires).
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Delaware County)

One would think there would be an indoor range in the state college area. Especially considering the cold weather for so many months a year.

On the other hand and reason to wonder, there is not that many private club outdoor ranges in the south where the weather is much more pleasant. Yet, there is no shortage of indoor ranges.

(Clinton County)

I wonder why there isn't a market for them? You would think in an area like State College people would be more inclined to use indoor as opposed to outdoor ranges not to mention their aren't many outdoor ranges in Centre County that I have found either

(Beaver County)

Quote Originally Posted by GruGrux515 View Post
    I wonder why there isn't a market for them? You would think in an area like State College people would be more inclined to use indoor as opposed to outdoor ranges not to mention their aren't many outdoor ranges in Centre County that I have found either
    I think it's more of a zoning/insurance issue with most areas. IMO.
    Μολὼν λαβέ
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you.

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyBear View Post
    That is an issue for sure.

Other things are:

1. Many PA folk heir from rural families. Those rural families quite often have their own place to shoot, albeit outdoors, but is a free place to shoot.
    2. Many PA folk do enough shooting in good weather to make up for not being able to shoot in the cold.
    3. Plenty of PA folks don't care if it is cold, and will still go outside to shoot.(one way to test functioning of gun in extreme climate)
    4. PA folks hate giving money to places, to do something that they can do for free elsewhere, or when the climate is nicer.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515, SteveWag

Don't end up in my signature!

(Allegheny County)

Lewistown Pistol Club has in indoor range, but you have to be a member in good standing for several years until they give you a key I believe. However, I went with a member one time and found the ventilation of their range to be less than adequate. My lungs felt like I had smoked an entire pack of cigarettes after having been in there for 30 minutes.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyBear View Post
    Lets not leave out the EPA and all that lead.

(Centre County)

I investigated this in the past and I would absolutely open one if I had the money (like winning the lottery size money). Not too many banks are going to loan you money for this type of endeavor (they're typically too politically correct to do this).

The zoning and ordinances can be overcome. What can't be overcome is the up front cost to do it right. When I say right, I envision a two level range, one below ground, 8 stations, 100 to 200 yds long for rifles, one above ground, 20 stations, 50 yds, with computer controlled targets so you can set any distance you want, with the ability to have turning targets and different lighting capabilites. With the computers today and servo motors this wouldn't be hard to do. Then I would also have a gunsmith and retail store.

Then you have to have the range built correctly to meet all the OSHA regs on lead dissipation, ventilation, lighting, etc. You also have to take into consideration how the firing range sections of the building are constructed for the backstop and the possiblility of stray rounds. Then how you are going to get rid of waste products (lead from the backstop, etc., read EPA involvement)

The biggest kicker to operating it is the liability insurance, it will be a very significant figure.

With a good range, you can then (possibly) set up contracts with local police agencies, schools, universities, etc. Then you get the local sportsmans associations to set up shooting leagues (bullseye, PPC, etc.), group fun shoots, dedicated times for their use, and so on.

I do not disagree that State College is a prime place for an indoor range, however, the cost is the killer. When I last investigated this (a couple of years ago), it was estimated (by people that do start up cost estimates) to get it going like I would want it, to be about $3,000,000.00 (yes 3 million). What might it be today? This included the land, the construction, the permits (local, state, federal), lawyers (on retainer and to get any ordinances changed to allow this to happen), insurance, and retail store stocking (besides the normal stuff, you would want a pretty good supply of rental guns, and ammo for the rentals).

It's probably doable, but you better have an absolutely rock solid business plan (and be able to persuade a banking group) or have very deep pockets.

Finding the land really wouldn't be a problem in the SC area, there are plenty of places that land is available.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Centre County)

Lead dust and the associated regulations is a killer. Of course there is lead free indoor rounds but that is an added premium. Purdue MTN by the airport also has an indoor range. It is not over used by any means. I do not see the demand or ROI.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast