Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Westmoreland County)

Default Shooting in the ANF

Really not sure where this would go (Regional, Legal?) so I’m trying it here. Sorry if it’s wrong. My question is this; I have a camp in Forest County (Tionesta area) and always get the itch to shoot up there. Don’t really want to join a range because I’m not up there very often (5-6 times a year). Am I legally able to just find a secluded area of the ANF and set up some targets and shoot? I’m surrounded by the ANF and could just hike back a couple of hundred yards or so. Seems easy enough. Is this legal? Am I going to run into problems?

Thanks in advance.

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Shooting in the ANF

http://www.fs.fed.us/r9/forests/allegheny/recreation/

# Allegheny National Forest Recreation Map - shows the location of recreation areas (including longitude and latitude), hiking trails, ATV trails, and cross-country ski trails. Text shows general rates & seasons. Reverse of map, showing recreation facility amenities and basic regulations.
    # To create personalized maps from US Geological Service, visit: http://nmviewogc.cr.usgs.gov/viewer.htm One this site, simply click on the national map and as the map re-writes, keep clicking to zoom in. In the right margin of the viewer, click the facilities you want to see displayed, (i.e. Structures-has Forest Service recreation sites; hydrology-you can select streams, lakes, etc.; topographical-you can see land elevation.)
    # 2008 Recreation Seasons rates and dates
    # Parking permit application
    # Current Conditions
    # Pennsylvania Gun Laws:

To carry a concealed weapon, you must have a protection weapon permit from your county sheriff in PA. If you are from out-of state, you must have a protection permit in your state, and have a protection permit from Pennsylvania. Warren County sheriff will not issue Ohio residents a protection permit, but will issue a sportsmen’s permit that allows concealed weapons for hunting and fishing only. You may bring weapons that are not concealed (hunting rifles, shotguns, side arms). When transporting it is recommended to carry firearm and ammunition in separate areas – (i.e. Carry firearm in the trunk and ammunition in the car.) Target practice must comply with the PA. Game Commission regulations, i.e. no firing into live trees (see hunting license handbook). Target shooting is recommended at ranges set up for that purpose (sportsmen's clubs). We recommend on the ANF using stone pits with a high back wall. Contact the county sheriff for additional information.

(Westmoreland County)

So I don't shoot any trees I'm good right?

(Westmoreland County)

So via the above quote provided by knight (many thanks sir) if I'm 100 yards away from a dwelling, shooting against a safe backstop and not hitting any trees, I can target shoot in the ANF without issue?

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by JCF191101 View Post
    So via the above quote provided by knight (many thanks sir) if I'm 100 yards away from a dwelling, shooting against a safe backstop and not hitting any trees, I can target shoot in the ANF without issue?

Pretty much. I'd make sure you're further than what the PAGC calls for to cover your butt. Their measuring device might be "calibrated" in their favor. Remember though, it cant be a random "target shooting". IE: walk around for things to shoot at. You'd pretty much have to establish a temporary shooting gallery/range in a fixed place.

Figure the following:
    an earthen backstop
    no trees(dead or alive)
    150+ yards from ANY possibly occupied dwelling (house, camp, outhouse, spring house, etc)
    dont shoot over roads
    75+ feet from any road
    pickup any trash/casings

If you go above and beyond the "call of duty" on fulfilling your requirements, it would only weigh in your favor if questioned about your activities.

(Westmoreland County)

Is this something that you would recommend against doing though?

(Jefferson County)

Quote Originally Posted by JCF191101 View Post
    Is this something that you would recommend against doing though?
    I'd find an established public, private or sportsman's range first. Nearly all Sportsmans clubs in this area have their own ranges. $5-$25 a year isn't a bad price.

(Westmoreland County)

I'm not worried about the price. I'm more concerned about the usual requirement that you have to be sponsored and attend a meeting. Getting up there on a certain day and time might be an issue and even then I don't know anyone so getting sponsored might be an issue.