Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun Maintenance

(Berks County)

Default Gun Maintenance

Found this on the Shooting Gallery website:

http://www.shootinggallery.tv/articl...icle_107.shtml

Seems like some out there are using motor oil to lube their guns, and cleaning their guns in the dishwasher!

Anyone wanna try that?
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

Talking Re: Gun Maintenance

I actually just used some of the amzoil spray lube, worked pretty good.
    I know of a couple of people that have used Mobile 1
    In basic training we cleaned our m16s in a trash can full of hot water and tide, followed up with some CLP, got the weapons clean and no rust...
    "We shoot to stop. ... Unfortunately, death can be a byproduct."

(Montgomery County)

Default Re: Gun Maintenance

I could see that some dishwasher detergents and the heat of the water could cause some harm to plastics.

However I'm not sure it would really have any negative effects if you dried them thoroughly afterward.

As for the motor oil, I would think that it would smoke quite a bit if you slapped it on like he's talking about.

I have over oiled my gun in the past and caused a small smoke cloud or two.

I don't see any instant reason why it would harm a gun, the oil should be free enough of contaminates that it shouldn't hurt.

However why would anyone do that?

I mean just use the stuff that was made to clean the gun with, what's the extra $5 or so for a years worth of cleaning patches, brushes and oil?

(Berks County)

I wonder if that is where the guys from G & A TV got the idea for the torture tests that they do on their show.
    Bill USAF 1976 - 1986, NRA Endowment, USCCA

Quote Originally Posted by billamj View Post
    I wonder if that is where the guys from G & A TV got the idea for the torture tests that they do on their show.
    There is a reason i call Stainless guns DishWasher safe... One of the major things that harm guns us the salt deposits, and those salts Oil does not remove. Soap does, Vinigar does, but Oddly enough oil only makes them stick more. Even on blued guns, if you wash in very hot water then make sure to ventilate it well there will be no water left, then just use a bit of your favorite oil to preserve the metal.
    Skeet is a sport where you are better to hit half of each bird then completely blast one and miss the other completely.

The choice is yours, place your faith in the court system and 12 of your peers, or carried away by 6 friends.

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit. 'Nobody provokes me with impunity'
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
    Clint Eastwood
    The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

(Berks County)

So you can really put a gun in the dishwasher? How do you dry it so it doesn't rust? Is the dry cycle on the dishwasher enough, or do you need to do something else?

I have a M&P, which is stainless, so if this is OK, I might do it every thousand rounds or so to get it nice and clean.
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."

-John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Philadelphia County)

It doesnt seem like a good idea to put your guns in the dishwasher.

I mean, you wash your hands really well after shooting for a reason. I dont think that washing the guns in the same place you wash the dishes that you eat out of is really the best option out there.
    ==============
    “If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude than the animating contest of freedom, — go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”
    ~Samuel Adams

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it."
    ~Thomas Jefferson, 1791

Just because you "can" do something...doesn't mean that it's a good idea. You can use hot water to clean weapons...as long as you wipe them up right away...it shouldn't rust...humidity is your enemy.

Most people that shoot corrosive ammo...will bring along a bottle of soapy water...to pour down the barrel...this helps rid the corrosive agent..it is a nice field cleaning prior to a true cleaning once you get home from the range.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by LorDiego01 View Post
    It doesnt seem like a good idea to put your guns in the dishwasher.

I mean, you wash your hands really well after shooting for a reason. I dont think that washing the guns in the same place you wash the dishes that you eat out of is really the best option out there.
    The article I referenced also mentioned cleaning a gun with Simple Green. Similar to what jdlv mentioned, would it be OK to soak it in a bucket of Simple Green, dry it, and then oil it? If so, how would you dry it?

Thanks to all for the input. So far I've been hand cleaning/oiling with Hoppes, but like I said, every 1000 rounds or so I wanna do a little more, something that will get into all the cracks and crevices without having to completely disassemble the gun.
    -Charlton Heston

-John Quincy Adams

-Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Northumberland County)

Question Re: Gun Maintenance

I dono i cant belive that a gun can be cleaned ina dishwasher id have to have proof of that to clan a weapon before i do that

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast