Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Went into Condition "orange" While shopping.

So I went to the store to buy a gallon of lemonade, from Redners in Ephrata.

I normally am in "Yellow", to me I still observe people, I "scan" people going by them, and just am aware of who is doing what around me.

Anyways, I went into the store, CC'ing, but printing. I go by this one guy, about 6ft 6'1 possibly. Grey sweatshirt (possibly a hoodie), with a logo in the middle on the front, and I think jeans. I passed him, he was behind me with a cart, I got my gallon of lemonade and went by him again, he was still in the same place. I took notice he left his cart and was walking my way, so I keep on thinking he could be getting something close by and left the cart. I went to the self check out because there was no line, and it would be fast. I take notice he is closer and I hurry up. I get out of the doors, they shut and I know he was behind me...So I am thinking "please don't let the doors open behind me, please don't." They open and it's the guy. I instantly go to "Orange", I reach in my left pocket, hit the "door unlock" for my car, leave the keys there, put the gallon in my left hand so if I would need it I could clear my shirt, and have access to my firearm. I get in my car, lock the doors and check the mirror, the guy is just standing there watching! I check again, he is still there. I would have normally went out that way, but i backed up and went the long way through the parking lot. The entire time the dude is watching me (he actually came out around the corner to watch), when I was about to leave the parking lot, he then looks again and goes back inside.

I can't figure out what he wanted, or what his plans were. I've never taken notice to him ever before at that store. To me, I think it's odd he came out and watched me get in my car and leave. I can't imagine what would have happened if he would have followed me to my car. I don't have OC spray either, just a firearm, that may change.

Sorry for the long story, but it pretty much freaked me out, and still does.

Edit: The guy was only in his 20's i'd say.
    Last edited by The Unknown 1087; September 30th, 2009 at 11:54 AM.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Went into Condition "orange" While shopping.

Quote Originally Posted by Dane View Post
    So I went to the store to buy a gallon of lemonade, from Redners in Ephrata.

I normally am in "Yellow", to me I still observe people, I "scan" people going by them, and just am aware of who is doing what around me.

Anyways, I went into the store, CC'ing, but printing. I go by this one guy, about 6ft 6'1 possibly. Grey sweatshirt (possibly a hoodie), with a logo in the middle on the front, and I think jeans. I passed him, he was behind me with a cart, I got my gallon of lemonade and went by him again, he was still in the same place. I took notice he left his cart and was walking my way, so I keep on thinking he could be getting something close by and left the cart. I went to the self check out because there was no line, and it would be fast. I take notice he is closer and I hurry up. I get out of the doors, they shut and I know he was behind me...So I am thinking "please don't let the doors open behind me, please don't." They open and it's the guy. I instantly go to "Orange", I reach in my left pocket, hit the "door unlock" for my car, leave the keys there, put the gallon in my left hand so if I would need it I could clear my shirt, and have access to my firearm. I get in my car, lock the doors and check the mirror, the guy is just standing there watching! I check again, he is still there. I would have normally went out that way, but i backed up and went the long way through the parking lot. The entire time the dude is watching me (he actually came out around the corner to watch), when I was about to leave the parking lot, he then looks again and goes back inside.

I can't figure out what he wanted, or what his plans were. I've never taken notice to him ever before at that store. To me, I think it's odd he came out and watched me get in my car and leave. I can't imagine what would have happened if he would have followed me to my car. I don't have OC spray either, just a firearm, that may change.

Sorry for the long story, but it pretty much freaked me out, and still does.
    First off, glad to hear that you're alright.

Second, you say you're "normally in 'Yellow'". That's a good thing, and you should ALWAYS be in Condition Yellow when you're out and about, even if you're not carrying. Had you not been in such a condition, you likely wouldn't have noticed the individual you described, or if you did wouldn't have categorized him as a threat and elevated to Condition Orange.

Be safe out there...
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

Sounds like maybe he noticed your printing firearm and wanted to make sure you were not up to something? Maybe he was an off-duty cop?
    A few thoughts.

And it got you thinking about carrying some non-lethal means of defense.

(Northampton County)

Kids today, a bunch of paranoid, right wing, gun owning nut jobs.

Just curious why you didn't confront him. By that I mean something like
    : "Is there something I can help you with?" or "Why are you following me?" I ask because he might have been a LEO or a concerned citizen. Since I wasn't there I will take your judgement call as the right thing to have done.
    Last edited by shooter357; September 30th, 2009 at 06:35 PM.
    ““Liberty is the right to choose. Freedom is the result of the right choice.””

-Anonymous

Jeff

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by ChamberedRound View Post
    First off, glad to hear that you're alright.

Second, you say you're "normally in 'Yellow'". That's a good thing, and you should ALWAYS be in Condition Yellow when you're out and about, even if you're not carrying. Had you not been in such a condition, you likely wouldn't have noticed the individual you described, or if you did wouldn't have categorized him as a threat and elevated to Condition Orange.

Be safe out there...
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by HiredGoon View Post
    Sounds like maybe he noticed your printing firearm and wanted to make sure you were not up to something? Maybe he was an off-duty cop?
    A few thoughts.

And it got you thinking about carrying some non-lethal means of defense.
    He didn't seem like a cop type really. He didn't carry himself like one either. He could have been though. If I didn't know any better, I would have actually stopped and asked him what he needed. I know alot better though.

For like OC spray though, cant that screw you over if you actually do have to shoot to defend yourself?

Them:"So at first, you didn't think he was a big enough threat to shoot him, so you sprayed him, then after that you shot him"

I don't think that would go well.

Quote Originally Posted by shooter357 View Post
    Kids today, a bunch of paranoid, right wing, gun ownig nut jobs.

: "Is there something I can help you with?" or "Why are you following me?" I ask because he might have been a LEO or a concerned citizen. Since I wasn't there I will take your judgement call as the right thing to have done.
    I did consider it, but at the same time if the situation would have went south, I wouldn't have wanted to be part of it. If he is there next time though...

Also, I forgot to add this in the first post. He had to only be in his 20's

(Monroe County)

I think maybe he was checking you out, perhaps thinking you coulda been a BG.
    WAKE UP OR WACO!

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Strapped View Post
    I think maybe he was checking you out, perhaps thinking you coulda been a BG.
    True, but I wasn't really shady looking. Khaki pants, Navy blue Tshirt, and sneakers.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by shooter357 View Post
    In a situation such as this, IMHO confronting an unknown individual who's put you in Condition Orange is dangerous. Why take the chance? Sure, he could be a LEO who was watching you, but he could also be a thug looking to steal a few bucks and some credit cards from your wallet. Why potentially invite danger by confronting him?

In other situations (like preventing someone else from being hurt, raped, etc.) then confrontation may be the right thing to do. In this case, I think the OP did the right thing by staying alert, readying access to his weapon, and quickly getting to his car.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Monroe County)

Quote Originally Posted by Dane View Post
    True, but I wasn't really shady looking. Khaki pants, Navy blue Tshirt, and sneakers.
    Don't Obama dress that way alot??? Sounds pretty freakin shady to me!
    WAKE UP OR WACO!

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Strapped View Post
    Don't Obama dress that way alot??? Sounds pretty freakin shady to me!
    Not cool man! haha.

I have to laugh though, I've oc'd there before and notta, besides some of the female employees checking me out or whispering. I CC and some freak-o watches me lol.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast