Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: sig p229?

(Delaware County)

Default sig p229?

I am looking into buying the sig p229, I would like it in 9mm but see alot of 40sw around for this model. Is one caliber better in this than the other?
    has anyone had better experience with it in 9 or 40?
    Is it better to go with an older one without the rail or is a newer one just as good? How about the elite series with the trigger reset?
    It 's also hard to find cpo models that would lessen the cost but sometimes it helps to just keep lookin and hopefuly it pay dirt on a cpo. Anyway any help would be great. Thanks

(Chester County)

Default Re: sig p229?

I like the .40 myself but that is up to debate...Why would you want an older one? You think QC was better back then? I prefer the rail myself just in case you'd ever want to put a light on it...Don't know much about the elite series so no help there...

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by vetter3006 View Post
    I am looking into buying the sig p229, I would like it in 9mm but see alot of 40sw around for this model. Is one caliber better in this than the other?
    has anyone had better experience with it in 9 or 40?
    Sig designed the P229 around the .40S&W round back in 1992 because the P228 (9mm only) uses a stamped sheet metal slide.
    They mainly changed the slide from a stamped sheet metal slide to a milled out of a solid block of steel slide.
    The solid slide was needed to handle the higher pressures of the 40 round.
    The gun is equally good in either caliber, so which one all depends on your preference.
    At the risk of getting into another caliber war, 9mm is much cheaper than .40S&W to shoot. It also depends on what you want to do with the gun and your preference.

Is it better to go with an older one without the rail or is a newer one just as good?
    Both guns are the same, only one has a rail. It depends on whether or not you want to mount stuff on it. If you do get one with a rail, make sure you buy a holster that is for a P229 with a rail. The railed P229's will not fit in a non railed holster.

How about the elite series with the trigger reset?
    Sigs SRT (short reset trigger) is the shit! (that's a good thing )
    The difference between the standard trigger and the SRT is very much worth the money. You can always send the gun to Sig to have the SRT trigger installed if the gun you get doesn't have it. IIRC, it'll cost you somewhere around $200 total (shipping included) - you can check Sigs website for a price.

There are also other options for getting a shorter reset like sending your gun to Gray Guns - the God of Sig armorers!
    http://grayguns.com/

It 's also hard to find cpo models that would lessen the cost but sometimes it helps to just keep lookin and hopefuly it pay dirt on a cpo. Anyway any help would be great. Thanks
    I haven't seen many CPO's around lately, but I'm sure if you are patient and look around, you can find one.
    Don't discount buying a used P229. They are built like tanks and good used ones can usually be found in the $450 - $500 range.

Bye for a while, guard the fort. - My Dad

(Allegheny County)

It's hard to beat the P229 in any caliber. I have one in .357sig with a .40s&w barrel. I have many thousands of rnds through mine without any malfunctions, failures, etc. Mine is an older non-railed version. I don't love the rails that much on P228/229 sized weapons. As mentioned, the P229 was made for the .40s&w cartridge and handles it very well. I've handled them in 9mm and it struck me as a bit bulky for a 9, personally I like the P228 more for a mid size 9mm. I've seen used .40 P229's from $450 to $600 pending condition and accessories, nothing wrong with picking up a used one, as alot of the used Sig's I've run into have been handled/carried a fair bit, but hardly shot in most cases. As for QC on older Sigs, yes, I'd take an older SIG anything over a newer version of the same model. On some Sig models, i.e. the P220, quality has taken a severe nosedive since around 2003-04 from pieces I've owned. The good thing, from my experience, is that the P229 is one model that SIG hasn't managed to totally dick-up in some manner like they did with the P220 series and their brief but fairly widespread extractor debacle.

(Bucks County)

It looks like www.topgunsupply.com has some 229 cpos in stock.

I've shot it in all three calibers, FWIW. Of the three, I prefer .357 SIG, mostly because the pistol's recoil reindexes the target for me quite nicely. The reputation of the .357 SIG doesn't hurt, either. There's a reason that so many departments have adopted it. .40 S&W, for me, doesn't feel quite right in the P229 — the round has a "mushy" recoil to me, and I feel like I have fight it to get the pistol back onto target. 9mm is fine out of it, but it's a bit like going to a car with power steering and power brakes (if any of you kids can remember anything that doesn't have them) after you've always been without.

I like the P229 in 9mm, but am looking for a range to test out a 40 S&W. I like the .40 but just want to make sure before I would buy one. The 9mm is awesome Id just like to diversify.

(Philadelphia County)

Another good source for Sig CPO is Summit Gunbroker. He's out of 229 CPOs right now but last I spoke to him was expecting more. It's always good to give a call and see what's in the pipeline.

(Monroe County)

I have the 229 in .40, i will get a .357 sig barrel soon, imo the best Gun Sig makes and certainly the best .40 ever made, .

If you have ever driven a BMW or Porcshe the Sig 229 imparts the same feeling of superb engineering , quality,ergonomics and handling. This coming from a guy who used to hate Sigs with a passion. (untill i bought one)

nymax

(Delaware County)

after reading some it seems that you can convert to any caliber with a barrel conversion and spring change, and mag if you only had 9mm mags. Wow the best of all three choices.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast