Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Lancaster County)

Default Compensated barel?

Does anyone have a pistol or revolver with a compensated barel? How noticeable is the recoil reduction. I am thinking about ading a Glock 17 to my colection but then remembered the 17 also comes factory compensated. If nothing else it would be something diferent but I was hoping someone could fil me in on the pros and cons of this feature. Thanks Brian

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: Compensated barel?

Quote Originally Posted by bripro View Post
    Does anyone have a pistol or revolver with a compensated barel? How noticeable is the recoil reduction. I am thinking about ading a Glock 17 to my colection but then remembered the 17 also comes factory compensated. If nothing else it would be something diferent but I was hoping someone could fil me in on the pros and cons of this feature. Thanks Brian
    I cant comment on the Glock, I dont own one..

My Virginian Dragoon Silhouette is Magna Ported however. Upward movement is decreased, but the rearward thrust is still about the same. Loud is an understatement when describing the blast. Recoil is tolerable even with beyond max load 44mags, where as an unported gun has alot more roll and upward movement.

Last edited by knight0334; September 27th, 2009 at 09:30 PM.

(Lancaster County)

I owned a Glock 21 and a 21C. I replaced the 21C with another 21 because I noticed very little difference in recoil and I was concerned about the possible negatives of the blast from the comp if I use the gun for self-defense. After saying that, I ordered a Lone Wolf barrel for my 21 and decided to try the compensated barrel thinking that if I didn't like it, I could cut off the compensated end. Again I notice little or no change with the compensated barrel.

I may not be noticing much difference because the .45 ACP is a relatively low pressure
    round and I'm not shooting +P ammo. YMMV
    Last edited by ranger7; September 27th, 2009 at 09:42 PM.

The comp. on a .45 only works when you push the he!! out of it. The same style comp. on a .38 Super running major power factor loads will make a very noticeable difference. We had a 9mm Colt Commander with a comp. that was nothing but a plain until we re-barreled it to .38 Super. It now runs like a top and the comp. does what it is supposed to do.
    The most noticeable was a Whicita under lug/comp. on a S&W 586. Between the added weight and the comp. there were no loads that had much recoil.
    Courage is being scared to death--but saddling up any way. John Wayne