Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association

Thread: i stink !

(Potter County)

Default i stink !

i was so booored today even in the cold and windy weather and went out to the local conservation club i belong to, to squeeze off about 40 rounds from my taurus pt 92 that i have never fired

the last time i fired a pistola was about 25 years ago

i put up a 25 yard slow fire pistola target outside at the range and loaded 3 mags w/5 rounds each of 115gr fmj and the fourth mag w/124gr jhp

consistantly the first round from each of the 115 fmj mags were in the circle a little low and to the left the rest from the mags were alot low and and left

the 124gr jhp were much tighter group verticly centered but a little low

could bullet type make that much difference or does my marksmanship just stink ?

an intruder into our house, with evil intent would have little to fear from me with my accuracy, LOL

(Luzerne County)

Default Re: i stink !

My guess would be markmanship......or lack of it (sorry buddy, couldn't resist Pistols require definite skill to shoot properly/accurately and the only way to get there is with a steady flow of rounds down range on a periodic basis. I'f I'm not mistaken left-left/low is a sign of loose off hand support and possible trigger jerk.

Practice more, concentrate on each shot and mentally keep your form good. Do dry fire/point-hold practice at home to hone your pistola skills a bit. You'll be there in no time....it's more mental than anything else.
    Guns are good.
    If you can't fry it you shouldn't eat it
    Loud pipes save lives
    Mom spelled backwards spells....mom
    "Please don't squeeze the Charmin." ~ Mr. Whipple

(Fulton County)

Lightbulb Re: i stink !

different grain bullets will produce different results

(Tioga County)

I agree with Fulton. Any two guns that are exactly alike are as different as fingerprints. Say we have two identical Remington 700 BDL rifles in .30-06, just for giggles and grins, your rifle may love the 180 gr. brand X ammo whereas mine will hate it. It pays to experiment with different ammo in your pistol to see what will work the best and most reliably as far as accuracy and performance. The rounds you used in your pistol will work fine for close quarters defensive situations. It all depends on what your gun likes. It sounds as if to me as if you are still a good pistol shot. I'd use the 124's in your gun and call it done.
    Real Eyes, Realize, Real Lies.

The only way the Gov't will get my guns is if they fight me for them.

Wasn't born in P.A., But I am a proud resident now!

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Holleta View Post
    My guess would be markmanship......or lack of it (sorry buddy, couldn't resist

I'f I'm not mistaken left-left/low is a sign of loose off hand support and possible trigger jerk.

Practice more, concentrate on each shot and mentally keep your form good. Do dry fire/point-hold practice at home to hone your pistola skills a bit. You'll be there in no time....it's more mental than anything else.
    His low left POI deviation from center is definitely a classic symptom of trigger slap a.k.a. trigger jerk.

He's either forgotten proper trigger manipulation or he was never properly shown how it's done.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    an intruder into our house, with evil intent would have little to fear from me with my accuracy, LOL
    Only if the intruder were 25 yds away! 25 yds is a very long range for pistol shooting if you're out of practice.

(Beaver County)

Yea, don't beat yourself up over your results. 25 years is a long time between practice sessions .

(Delaware County)

Click on the chart below to enlarge it.

Quote Originally Posted by roland View Post
    Yea, don't beat yourself up over your results. 25 years is a long time between practice sessions .
    lonehiker, not only do I agree with Roland but this is a gun you have never fired. Eight recommendations for you:

#1. fire at least 200 rounds to break in the pistol
    #2 thru 4: practice, practice, practice
    #5. stay with one bullet weight and style until you improve your aim
    #6 thru 8: practice, practice, practice

Then if your accuracy still isn't acceptable (to you) the chart provided by soberbyker may help you identify the problem.

Good luck, John C