Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default need help on a 5.45x39 rifle

im looking for a ak74 5.45x39 or any semi-auto rifle, but dont know what is good and what is not. should i get a us made rifle? im kind of a purest (numbers matching, country of origin) but im lost on this particular rifle. any help would be appreciated.. bogey

(Delaware County)

Default Re: need help on a 5.45x39 rifle

Smith and Wesson just came out with an AR in 5.45x39

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...-1&isFirearm=Y

its on the cover of Guns and Ammo this month, gets good review

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    im looking for a ak74 5.45x39 or any semi-auto rifle, but dont know what is good and what is not. should i get a us made rifle? im kind of a purest (numbers matching, country of origin) but im lost on this particular rifle. any help would be appreciated.. bogey
    I'm going to assume that it's the caliber you want because it's still relatively cheap in quantity, right?

The only really American solution that comes to mind, without racking the crap out of my brain, is to buy an AR upper in 5.45x39 from S&W and plonk it down on to an AR lower: http://www.militarygunsupply.com/sho...roducts_id=381 That's the $600 option, not including some sort of optics arrangement, but it's only a good one if you're willing to pony up additional funds for iron sights in the back or a carrying handle with a built-in peep sight. With bells and whistles you're talking about $800 minimum, and that's only if you have magazines already.

AK74s can be had from a few different sources. Check out Atlantic Fireams: http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/beta...ry.aspx?cid=90 The Interarms Tantal that they sell isn't a bad value, as things go, if you're looking for a somewhat introductory model. Other manufacturers make them as well, although some of these outfits were making them until they ran out of kits, of which there are always a finite number. If you can find one, and it has a straight front sight, one of the best is the SLR 105 from Arsenal of Las Vegas. Frankly, it's pretty much unobtanium, unless you're willing to chase one on Gunbroker. I've actually seen them go as high as $1,200.

One thing that you'll need with an AK74 is a stock of spare parts, especially anything that comes in contact with the gases from the military surplus ammunition. The primers contain salts that make the ammo able to last for a long time in varying climactic conditions, but at a price: the residue from primer ignition is hyperattractive to moisture, and these rifles will rust in a matter of hours if care is not taken immediately.

Check out The AK Forum: http://www.theakforum.net/phpBB2/index.php Lots of good info there and link in the Classifieds to both whole rifles and parts, but read up before you buy any pigs in the poke, for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    I went down the SAR-2 road, I'm very happy with it.

A Romanian SAR-2 is probably the closest import you'll get to an all-original AK-74, original mag well dimples and all. I have one, and it's a very good AK variant. If you really want "correct" short of an NFA weapon, you can restore the muzzle brake so it looks like this:

Low recoil, very flat shooting, good intro gun into centerfire. I'm not pushing this one on #2 daughter, as she assimilated into the AK scene like a fish in water. When she "discovers" AK-74s, my supply of 7N6 (5.45x39 ammunition) will be in serious jeopardy.

I'll defer to the other poster's experiences with US-made AKs, as I'm just getting into domestic-made AKs myself. We haven't completely caught up with making AKs in the US yet. Keep an eye out on the 5.45mm Tantals, I've read some of the US-made barrel were oversize, leading to bullet stabilization problems. Drop PA Patriot a line, he knows more than your humble poster re: domestic AKs.

I'm looking forward to picking one or two up in the near future, of particular interest are the Bulgarian AK-74 clones. But, that's material for another topic. [8^)
    Gloria: "65 percent of the people murdered in the last 10 years were killed by hand guns"
    Archie Bunker: "would it make you feel better, little girl, if they was pushed outta windows?"

http://www.moviewavs.com/TV_Shows/Al...he_Family.html

Quote Originally Posted by PA Rifleman View Post

I'll defer to the other poster's experiences with US-made AKs, as I'm just getting into domestic-made AKs myself. We haven't completely caught up with making AKs in the US yet. Keep an eye out on the 5.45mm Tantals, I've read some of the US-made barrel were oversize, leading to bullet stabilization problems.
    These are the ones made by Century. Stay away from them on general principles.

(Berks County)

Not everything Century released is crap. The Yugos are amazing rifles. And by everything I've heard, Century DID fix the barrel issue. And if by chance you DO get a lemon, send it back. Century has good customer service.

(Allegheny County)

Truth be told ... Century farmed out the Yugos ... not sure if they did with the Tantals or not. But from what I hear, Century will definitely fix anything that not right.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    If the police could confiscate all of your guns and ammo using just one van, then you didn't own enough guns or ammo.
    WTB - NDS3 or NDS1 receiver FTF

Quote Originally Posted by crlovel View Post
    Not everything Century released is crap. The Yugos are amazing rifles. And by everything I've heard, Century DID fix the barrel issue. And if by chance you DO get a lemon, send it back. Century has good customer service.
    I've got a Century Yugo UF. I dare you to try and take it from me. No, really, I dare you. See, Century didn't make the Yugos. They contracted them out. Voilá ... no drunken monkeys were involved.

At any rate, the Century Tantals were made by marrying barrels for .223 to 5.45x39 chambers, which I believe are about .21 all in all. Unless I knew for a fact that they fixed it, and when, I'd think twice about buying such a rifle.

Get a Tantal kit and put it on a Nodak Spud receiver. I can give you references to a kit reseller and a good gunsmith in Pittsburgh if you need one.

Quote Originally Posted by PA Rifleman View Post
    I went down the SAR-2 road, I'm very happy with it.

A Romanian SAR-2 is probably the closest import you'll get to an all-original AK-74, original mag well dimples and all. I have one, and it's a very good AK variant. If you really want "correct" short of an NFA weapon, you can restore the muzzle brake so it looks like this:

Low recoil, very flat shooting, good intro gun into centerfire. I'm not pushing this one on #2 daughter, as she assimilated into the AK scene like a fish in water. When she "discovers" AK-74s, my supply of 7N6 (5.45x39 ammunition) will be in serious jeopardy.

I'll defer to the other poster's experiences with US-made AKs, as I'm just getting into domestic-made AKs myself. We haven't completely caught up with making AKs in the US yet. Keep an eye out on the 5.45mm Tantals, I've read some of the US-made barrel were oversize, leading to bullet stabilization problems. Drop PA Patriot a line, he knows more than your humble poster re: domestic AKs.

I'm looking forward to picking one or two up in the near future, of particular interest are the Bulgarian AK-74 clones. But, that's material for another topic. [8^)
    i like this idea the best, minimal u.s. parts. i'll look into it, thanks..

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast