Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    Detroit (but Pittsburgh is always home), Michigan

Default Best way to get started in archery?

Hi all.

Mrs. JKP1187 and I went out to the Renaissance Faire near New Stanton last week, and to my surprise she had a lot of fun doing target shooting at the little archery stand. She indicated that she'd like to do more of it. I have about zero experience in that sport, though. Can anyone suggest a place to look for more info on equipment, training for beginners, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Best way to get started in archery?

There's longbow, re-curve, cross and compound bow. Two kinds of bow people, hunters and target. Pick one or both and have a great time. Today's equipment has come a long way. Go to a reputable dealer and have them fit you up properly. There's bow length, poundage, and draw involved here. Don't go to a sports store for this or buy just any bow off the rack.
    Bows last a very long time if you take care of them so don't be afraid to spend some money on a name brand bow. Example: years back I bought my son a Hoyt Jr. in which they would exchange the limbs when he out grew it. Well he did so i bought it back to my dealer in which he informed me that Hoyt, instead of replacing the limbs would now replace the entire bow, so no brainer we handed him the Jr. and my son got a very nice full size Hoyt in exchange. Money well spent. Not from your area so can't point you to a place to go. But they will soon be here.....

Also, check out if your local 4H (if you have one local) has an archery group or club. I got started when I was about 13 in the Montco Archery program. I can't vouch for them all but Montco's was great at the time. Had equipment for club use for beginners. Granted it wasn't the best but it worked.

I know Montcos was for youth only but they allowed adults to "join" as instructors/helpers and shoot when they wanted during club meetings so long as they did their helper duties.

Just a thought.

~ Derek
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9206&dateline=1225911  268

Detroit (but Pittsburgh is always home), Michigan

Thanks. Any suggestions for stores to investigate in the Pittsburgh area? I probably would've started at Sportsmans Warehouse, if only they had stayed in business....