Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Springfield 1903

Hello all
    I've recently acquired a Springfield 1903 rifle from a friend. It's in pretty good condition. I'm not at all familiar with vintage rifles and was wondering if anybody who owns one or knows about this particular rifle can give me some suggestions on what to do with it and also find it's worth. Restore it? Leave as is? Should I fire it? Any advice would be helpful. Here she is>>

As you maybe can see, it has some rust on the front barrel and mold on sling. If you need any more pics, I can provide them. Thank You all for your help and responses.

(Lebanon County)

Default Re: Springfield 1903

A little naval jelly will take care of light rust. How is the bore? If you have doubts about firing, have a gunsmith check headspace. These rifles will handle commercial loads, but surplus M2 ball is cheaper. The CMP has Greek surplus in stock, good stuff. Also write down all numbers and markings and locations. Go to www.surplusrifle.com and post findings in the 03/1917 section. There's a guy on there named "Rickthelibrarian" who knows his stuff. He, or others, can tell you what you have.

(Centre County)

Ok first thing you should do... is give it to me

Ok kidding :P

That there is a keeper, its a high-number S.A. so it would be safe to shoot. Original M2 ball is 150gn. As with my Garand i try to stay as close to the original ammo spec as possible. Although with the 1903 not having a gas system to damage with high weight rounds i guess its probably a mute point.

Anyways, stock looks good, steel looks great, although i can't see the bore as long as it has rifling it should be a very good shooter.

As for its value, the CMP just sold a fairly large number of 1903's that we're veteran group returns and they sold in excess of 500$. Some of those sold we're unfirable and just about all had no rifling left.

I hope to own a 1903 someday soon and hopefully it will look nearly as good as that one...

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. Jean-Luc Picard
    Oh yes, thats how it starts. The road from legitimate suspicion to rampant paranoia is very much shorter than we think.

If the front band picture you posted represents the rust, I would absolutely leave it alone. It's on a parkerized surface, which is designed to soak & retain oil. It's also in a non-essential area. Using any chemical rust stripper will also endanger the parkerizing, which will significantly decrease it's value. Refinishing it will also decrease it's value, and seasoned collectors know refinished guns when they see them.

Leave it as is. There are enough sporterized Springfields in circulation, we don't need any more. And once cut down, you can't go back to what you have now.

If you desire a modern sporting rifle, consider selling your 1903 to a collector and buy the rifle you want.
    Last edited by PA Rifleman; March 8th, 2007 at 11:46 AM. Reason: typos (again)

(Berks County)

You have a beautiful example of an original 1903. Harder and harder to come by in that condition, and probably an original issue sling as well.

Don't sand, put chemicals on or anything. If it were mine "I" would take it apart very carefully (don't want any buggered up screw heads) and just clean it and oil any rust well...maybe hand rub in oil on the rust. Wipe down the wood good, put it back together and leave it AS IS.

Don't know a lick about leather care, or how to preserve the leather and remove the mold.

I have seen beater 03's with no rifling left going for $600 on up.

Once checked out you could shoot it if you want to, I shoot my 03A3 every once in a while (but I collect old military stuff), but if you don't want it, you could sell it and use the proceeds to purchase something you could shoot all the time, probably set yourself up with a rifle and a pistol.

Your decision, either way you have a real nice find of a rifle on your hands.
    Last edited by 762xIan; March 6th, 2007 at 11:01 PM.
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

Do not use naval jelly or any other rust remover as it will most likely damage the parkerized finish. I would clean the rifle very carefully, oil it and keep it in the current condition. It will only increase in value. Any alteration will degrade the value. Also, do not refinish or apply varnish to the stock.

(Delaware County)

That piece of junk. Box it up and send it to me I’ll give 150 and I’ll even pay shipping….

That’s a nice find bro what did you pay for it if you don’t mind me asking?

leave it alone
    Don't sand, put chemicals on or anything. If it were mine "I" would take it apart very carefully (don't want any buggered up screw heads) and just clean it and oil any rust well...maybe hand rub in oil on the rust. Wipe down the wood good, put it back together and leave it AS IS.
    Good advice thats what it would do. They are getting pricy.
    Last edited by K31; March 7th, 2007 at 01:39 AM.

(Lebanon County)

I've heard of using naval jelly on bluing, if it's a problem on park finish by all means don't do it. That rifle looks fine as is.

My friend who is in the real estate business found it in a house that she bought along with a Mossberg 500At and a Remington Nylon 66. She had them for about 2 years until she found out about my collection. She pretty much new what she had with the Springfield, but I seduced her and she sold me all three for $400. Yup.

(Berks County)

but I seduced her
    I f you can sweet talk a deal like that your coming with me to the next gun show, or is it the "other" kind of seduce? and what did she look like?...
    "Disperse you Rebels! Damn you! Throw down your Arms and Disperse!" British Major Pitcairn at Lexington April 19, 1775

"Sometimes reasonable men must do unreasonable things" Marvin Heemeyer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast