Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1911 Questions

(Lackawanna County)

Default 1911 Questions

If all goes according to plan then I should be joining the 1911 club via the Rock Island express lol really good deal i'm getting on it too I believe.

I saw 2 other 1911s at Bills sporting goods.

1911 Llama .45 (with a vented rib) used - 250 or 300

1911 Firestorm .45 w/ combat hammer beavertail, combat trigger & maybe a few other things - 394

I can't seem to find much about them online or user reviews. Down the road I might want just a range gun to play with in .45 1911 and these are cheap so any thoughts?

Default Re: 1911 Questions

Llamas have a mixed rep, to be kind. I don't know anything about the Firestorms.

I can say that me, my wife, my step-father, and my best friend are all extraordinarily pleased with our Rock Island 1911s, two of them GI models and two Tacticals. They've been reliable and very acurate for us, and all have fed pretty much everything we've given them, ball or hollowpoints. With the exception of the aluminum Blazer ammo. Both my wife's gun and mine seem to have a hatred for it for whatever reason.

My Tactical and my wife's GI:
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Monroe County)

theyre made in the Phillipines by Armscorp, They make good stuff at a good price, just disassemble it and clean up the inside with some fine steelwool and relube and she'll be running nice and slick.

I saw the greyish-green Gi model and i didnt get , but i'm still looking for one.

Nyman

(Lackawanna County)

check m1911.org if you haven't already. Some of us 1911 fans have been known to hang out there.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by JoeWilliams View Post
    Llamas have a mixed rep, to be kind. I don't know anything about the Firestorms.

I can say that me, my wife, my step-father, and my best friend are all extraordinarily pleased with our Rock Island 1911s, two of them GI models and two Tacticals. They've been reliable and very acurate for us, and all have fed pretty much everything we've given them, ball or hollowpoints. With the exception of the aluminum Blazer ammo. Both my wife's gun and mine seem to have a hatred for it for whatever reason.

My Tactical and my wife's GI:
    We know "joe" we all saw your cute fucking thread with your sweet ass grips lol I was pissed when I saw that thread hahaha i want those grips but i wasn't in the airforce so i'll look like an asshole with them lol

which one is the GI and which is the Tac.?

i'm guessing the one with the grips i like is the Tac and the one laying down is the GI?

(York County)

I'm confused. Are you getting the Rock Island and also wanting another 1911 to play around with, or are you just getting one 1911 and cant decide between the 3 you listed?

Personally, i'd stick with the Rock Island 1911. They make some quality 1911's. A guy that i shoot with on the weekends has one and i really enjoy shooting it. Its damn accurate too. I remember being about 35 yards or so back from 3 empty beer bottles that were sat on a table about waist level. My first 3 shots popped all 3 bottles, first try. Hell i cant even do that sometimes with guns i've been shooting for years!
    "A peaceful mind generates power"

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShadow View Post
    I'm confused. Are you getting the Rock Island and also wanting another 1911 to play around with, or are you just getting one 1911 and cant decide between the 3 you listed?

Personally, i'd stick with the Rock Island 1911. They make some quality 1911's. A guy that i shoot with on the weekends has one and i really enjoy shooting it. Its damn accurate too. I remember being about 35 yards or so back from 3 empty beer bottles that were sat on a table about waist level. My first 3 shots popped all 3 bottles, first try. Hell i cant even do that sometimes with guns i've been shooting for years!
    Getting the RI this weekend (fingers crossed)

So another for 250 you can't go wrong unless the gun sucks. Yeah theirs a guy on here I shoot with that has one and its great gun.

(Lackawanna County)

Hard to go wrong with the RI.

If it is new, run 50-100 rounds of cheap FMJ through it, then clean up the mechanism; nothing fancy, just a tear-down and dress the smooth parts with 6 ought steel wool with a touch of oil; at first you'll see little pieces of wool sticking to the small burrs, but inside of a few minutes, there won't be any more wool sticking.

Then, spray the parts down, wipe them off, re-assemble and have at it...by the way, I'd recommend that for any mass-produced 1911. To bring the gun in at those prices, corners have to be cut somewhere; high point uses inexpensive materials, armscorp cut a little in the fit and finish end. I have no problem with high points, but the Rock Island is a better deal any day!

Some day if we're up at the range together, you'll have to feel the XD to see the difference...
    "...a REPUBLIC, if you can keep it."

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by Blue301 View Post
    check m1911.org if you haven't already. Some of us 1911 fans have been known to hang out there.

What he said^^^^^ You should be able to learn a lot there. Watch your language and if you post make sure you follow the guidelines for posting. Read the rules first or you will find yourself banned in no time. Some great guys and gals who know 1911's... Check out the RIA subsection... Ivan and the guys at Armscor seem to have excellent service and a good reputation!

Quote Originally Posted by mickey01023 View Post
    We know "joe" we all saw your cute fucking thread with your sweet ass grips lol I was pissed when I saw that thread hahaha i want those grips but i wasn't in the airforce so i'll look like an asshole with them lol

which one is the GI and which is the Tac.?

i'm guessing the one with the grips i like is the Tac and the one laying down is the GI?
    The one laying down is Cathy's GI model, the other is my Tactical. The Tactical comes with better sights, ambidextrous safety, cool looking oval hammer, fancy trigger, beavertail grip safety. The sights alone are well worth the extra few bucks, IMHO, but Cathy is quite pleased with her GI.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast