Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Dauphin County)

Default Wife is thinking of getting one

So the wife who hates guns not really a anti just doesn't like them and doesn't care who owns them or what kind they own is now thinking of getting one

Today I had to stop at the LGS and she came in with me kind of odd as she usually waits in the car. While I'm grabbing some cleaning supply's I catch her looking in the gun case and I jokingly say see anything you like and she says wellllllllllllllll kind of .

I tell ya my heart skipped a beat. She seen a few sub compacts that she liked but she isn't sure about it just yet I did tell her that what ever one she wanted she could have, she wants a little time to decide on them.

I'm kind of excited about this and hope like hell she decides on something even if its just a 22 to start with

I think the neighbors house being broken into last week while they were home in bed asleep may have something to do with the change of heart

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: Wife is thinking of getting one

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post
    So the wife who hates guns not really a anti just doesn't like them and doesn't care who owns them or what kind they own is now thinking of getting one

Today I had to stop at the LGS and she came in with me kind of odd as she usually waits in the car. While I'm grabbing some cleaning supply's I catch her looking in the gun case and I jokingly say see anything you like and she says wellllllllllllllll kind of .

I tell ya my heart skipped a beat. She seen a few sub compacts that she liked but she isn't sure about it just yet I did tell her that what ever one she wanted she could have, she wants a little time to decide on them.

I'm kind of excited about this and hope like hell she decides on something even if its just a 22 to start with

I think the neighbors house being broken into last week while they were home in bed asleep may have something to do with the change of heart
    Congrats on your wife taking an interest in firearms. I'm lucky enough to have a wife who will go to the range with me. Last Christmas, I bought her an SR22, and she bought me a NAA Wasp. Nothing says, "I love you, Honey" quite like exchanging firearm gifts for Christmas.

(Warren County)

sorry about the neighbors but glad it wasn't you. Good luck .22 is a great thing to start with. work her up slowly to the larger calibers. Rent and borrow from friends. try everything you can. a .22 is a good place to start with her also because it gives you a good starter platform to use to teach any of her anti gun friends that she is able to bring around.

Had my wife shooting pistol grip 12ga last month. thats a huge step up from the .22 we started with 3 years ago.

also let her make her own choices at lgs go with her to make sure she doesn't get a dbag of a salesman that will always steer her to a .38 revolver(and you guys know who you are) I think my wife was shown the same S&W snubbie revolver at every shop we went to when we were shopping for a pistol.

sorry for the rambling rant i really should go to bed.

Whatever gun she picks make her first few range trips as fun and in stressful as possible. My wife was slow to warm up to guns as well and it wasn't until my kids started that she came as well.

Once we did all if the obligatory safety stuff and she shot her first few rounds I had her popping balloons, shooting neco wafers, spinners and even a little gong. She had lot of fun and is now hooked

Keep it fun and low stress and she may develop a new passion!

(Chester County)

Wife has two, Ruger .22 & 9M

The End of Josiah's Railroad, Pennsylvania
    (Luzerne County)

Sounds similar to how my wife started. I would actually encourage a .22. It will allow her to focus on the fundamentals of shooting instead of just worrying about the recoil.

Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by jeep View Post

Quote Originally Posted by jeepin View Post
    Whatever gun she picks make her first few range trips as fun and in stressful as possible. My wife was slow to warm up to guns as well and it wasn't until my kids started that she came as well.

Once we did all if the obligatory safety stuff and she shot her first few rounds I had her popping balloons, shooting neco wafers, spinners and even a little gong. She had lot of fun and is now hooked

Keep it fun and low stress and she may develop a new passion!
    Very true. Heck our date night is often at the range and then dinner. it is great when women and men shoot together.

Consider this a blessing. Too many wives don't get why their husbands are into guns. I heard one guys wife say she started watching the news more and then got.
    I offer discounts on freeze dried foods, knives and other prepping products.

(Montgomery County)

I'd recomend the basic pistol class. It saves you the drama of trying to train your wife and it will give her all of the tools she needs to get started and choose her own firearm. This is what I did with my wife and it definitely work in my favor!
    Slow is smooth. Smooth is fast.
    Feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/feedback-109/...specnic75.html