Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: HELP!!!

Question HELP!!!

Hello,
    I just have a genrel question that I was wanitng to ask.... I am getting ready to buy my first handgun which would be better I would like to go with glock either a .45 or a 357 whats the main difference

(Lackawanna County)

Default Re: HELP!!!

There are alot of things to consider and jillions of differences between the two. You need to determine what the pistol's primary purpose will be. If at all possible, get your hands on both and try them out. Both will do pretty much anything you ask of them.

I am mostly going to use it for personal defense I have had multiple burgleries in my area including my own house, I have rifles shotguns but no pistol I would like to have some knock down power also because of the wild animals when I rockclimb or hike

(Cumberland County)

45 is throwing alot more lead, but a 357 sig throws it alot faster...go to a range and rent them to try...i have shot the 45 a nd love it...never did a 357 sig

you dead set on glock??
    MOLON LABE

I have looked at alot of them is glock the best shooting?

(Bedford County)

Handgun calibers are all weak...but there isnt a wild animal east of the Mississippi on 2 or 4 legs that either caliber wont put down if you must do so. The .45 acp will shoot a heavier bullet slower...the .357 will shoot a lighter bullet faster. I found that .357 magnum or Sig cost more than .45 acp ammo. The .357's also recoil more and are louder with more flash.

For home defense or outdoors I would buy a Glock G21 or S&W M&P .45 Fullsize and not look back. Both are reliable, light, accurate fullsize guns with plenty of rounds in the magazine. The .45 acp will put down any deranged animal you can find if you place the shots where they need to be.

When I go to the swamps of Florida every year fishing I pack a G21 and feel quite safe. Some day I just might replace the Glock with a M&P as I am finding that the Smith and Wesson fits me better.

Good luck!

Try others out. I've fired Glocks and they shoot well. They have a great reputation. I bought an S&W M&P. Liked the fit and feel better. It's been an accurate, reliable and good shooting pistol. I think "best" is a matter of personal preference.

Glock has a polymer frame, so its lighter. Holds more rounds than a 1911. But, some people don't like the grip angles. On top of that, theres a lot of other polymer pistols to choose from. Rent some, see which fits your hand best.

As to caliber, I'd say go with 45. Its a cheaper to shoot and more easily found in stores. Either will take down an attacker well, IMHO.
    "See, this side is well roasted; turn me on the other and eat." St. Lawrence

Quote Originally Posted by Big_ol_ Jeep View Post
    I have looked at alot of them is glock the best shooting?
    Personally I prefer the Springfield XD to the Glock. It just feels better in my hand, and doesn't feel as slippery as the Glock in the cold, though I've not heard others complain about the Glock in the cold. Must just be something that bothers me.

My wife's Springfield XD9 Tactical has performed flawlessly. She loves it dearly.

Just something else to look at before you plunk down cold hard cash.
    "Never give up, never surrender!" Commander Peter Quincy Taggart

(Lackawanna County)

I'd have to agree with jsb as far as more common ammo. And, as a wise man once said......"Though the 9mm and 40cal may or may not expand, the 45 will never shrink."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast