Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Here they come - Gitmo terrorist to be released in the US

Gitmo terrorists being released to the us.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB123741378746277081.html

WASHINGTON -- Attorney General Eric Holder said some detainees being held at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, may end up being released in the U.S. as the Obama administration works with foreign allies to resettle some of the prisoners.

Eric Holder

Mr. Holder, in a briefing with reporters, said administration officials are still reviewing individual cases of the approximately 250 detainees to determine which will be put on trial and which may be released to comply with plans to close the detention facility by next year.

Six weeks into his tenure, Mr. Holder is still trying to assemble much of the Justice senior leadership, with several nominees awaiting Senate confirmation. He said he has reviewed the department's handling of white-collar criminal cases in response to the financial crisis and is considering ways to increase coordination on financial fraud among federal prosecutors and state officials. He said he is trying to increase the budget dedicated to white-collar crime, while maintaining funding for national security.

European justice ministers met with Mr. Holder earlier this week and pressed for details on how many Guantanamo prisoners the U.S. planned to release domestically, as part of any agreement for allies to accept detainees. Mr. Holder said U.S. officials would work to respond to the questions European officials have over U.S. Guantanamo plans.

For "people who can be released there are a variety of options that we have and among them is the possibility is that we would release them into this country," Mr. Holder said. "That process is ongoing and we've not made any determinations or made any requests of anybody at this point."

Among the detainees whose fate remains undetermined are 17 ethnic Uighurs, from the Central Asian region of China, who have been ordered released by a judge. The U.S. has refused to turn the men over to China, which considers them part of an separatist group.

Mr. Holder is planning to visit Mexico next month to meet with his counterparts and discuss efforts to fight the trafficking of guns from the U.S. into Mexico and the drug trade from Mexico into the U.S.

"The Mexican government has been courageous in the way it has confronted the problems that now challenge it," Mr. Holder said, noting the violence that has resulted from battles against the drug cartels in Mexico.

(Monroe County)

Default Re: Here they come - Gitmo terrorist to be released in the US

no no its okay because they were put in prison under the previous president so anything they do won't be the fault of the current admin because they inherited the problem
    The first vehicles normally on the scene of a crime are ambulances and police cruisers. If you are armed you have a chance to decide who gets transported in which vehicle, if you are not armed then that decision is made for you.

Be prepared, because someone else already is and no one knows their intent except them.

I think I want to scream!

"you have no power; here is the power; feel the power, brat, and then speak again of how you come to kill the Eternal."
    Pennywise The Clown

Quote Originally Posted by Dredly View Post
    no no its okay because they were put in prison under the previous president so anything they do won't be the fault of the current admin because they inherited the problem
    I wonder what happend when the Bush blame runs out? Will he start blaming private citizens? I'm betting on it.

(Adams County)

Quote Originally Posted by tail pipe todd View Post
    I wonder what happend when the Bush blame runs out? Will he start blaming private citizens? I'm betting on it.
    Bush blame will never run out. In the eyes of the democratic party, blaming Bush is good for at least the next 50 years.

camper
    It's the 2nd Amendment that protects all others

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by camper View Post
    Bush blame will never run out. In the eyes of the democratic party, blaming Bush is good for at least the next 50 years.

camper
    But in the eyes of the poople, that excuse will wear thin quicker than they realize.
    "Political Correctness is just tyranny with manners"
    -Charlton Heston

"[The Constitution preserves] the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation...(where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."
    -James Madison, Federalist Papers, No. 46.

"America does not go abroad in search of monsters to destroy." [sic]
    -John Quincy Adams

"I believe that banking institutions are more dangerous to our liberties than standing armies."
    -Thomas Jefferson

Μολών λαβέ!
    -King Leonidas

(Bucks County)

I guess the bigger question is what to do with them IF they have done nothing wrong. I agree they should not be released in the US but returning them to China for a bullet in the head does not seem right either.

(Allegheny County)

Among the detainees whose fate remains undetermined are 17 ethnic Uighurs, from the Central Asian region of China, who have been ordered released by a judge. The U.S. has refused to turn the men over to China, which considers them part of an separatist group.
    these people should be released. and we should give them political asylum if they want it.

they were doing exactly what many people on this forum claim they would do if the US were invaded by a foreign imperial government...attempting to free their homeland from tyrannical foreign occupation (by china).

then we came along and swept them up. we can't send them back to china as the chinese government would, at a minimum, imprison them. their current predicament is our fault. we should man up, take responsibility, and do the right thing.
    F*S=k

Where liberty is but a flickering flame in the distance., New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by tail pipe todd View Post
    It is already happening. Look what is happening to the AIG executives.

Quote Originally Posted by phillyd2 View Post
    I guess the bigger question is what to do with them IF they have done nothing wrong. I agree they should not be released in the US but returning them to China for a bullet in the head does not seem right either.
    I agree with you here to some extent. For folks I think you are referring to and LRT is referring to I don't really have a problem with them being released in the US and granted asylum. Hell I think we may even owe them some form of compensation.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRedToyota View Post
    these people should be released. and we should give them political asylum if they want it.

they were doing exactly what many people on this forum claim they would do if the US were invaded by a foreign imperial government...attempting to free their homeland from tyrannical foreign occupation (by china).

then we came along and swept them up. we can't send them back to china as the chinese government would, at a minimum, imprison them. their current predicament is our fault. we should man up, take responsibility, and do the right thing.
    I have to wonder what the story is with the rest of them.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by adymond View Post
    I have to wonder what the story is with the rest of them.
    me too...which is why i think there should be some sort of due process to figure out each individual's story, and, thus, figure out how to fairly and justly deal with each individual...rather than lumping them all in the "guilty as charge terrorist" category right off the bat. (note: i am not saying you do that...but many people seem to.)

no terrorists should be released...but no non-terrorists should be held.
    F*S=k

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast