Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Glade Mill Lake, Cooperstown, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Default What's so great about spyderco?

First off, I never owned one. I do have a benchmade that's basically a spyderco copy and I've handled them before so I know what they're like.

But there's people who talk about spyderco knives like they're the greatest thing to ever happen to pocket knives and before that we were all carrying sharp edged stones.

Yes, I know they have great serations and good quality steel. But basically my question is........

What's all the fuss over a knife that has a lock back and plastic handle?

(Dauphin County)

Default Re: What's so great about spyderco?

I don't know anything about Spyderco knives, but back in 1988 (wow, 21 yrs. ago) I was in culinary school w/ a guy who was close friends w/ the founder of Spyderco, and he gave me a great knife sharpener. I think the company was just starting up then. (I know, so what?)
    Power always thinks...that it is doing God's service when it is violating all his laws.

Quote Originally Posted by P-11 shooter View Post
    First off, I never owned one. I do have a benchmade that's basically a spyderco copy and I've handled them before so I know what they're like.

But there's people who talk about spyderco knives like they're the greatest thing to ever happen to pocket knives and before that we were all carrying sharp edged stones.

Yes, I know they have great serations and good quality steel. But basically my question is........

What's all the fuss over a knife that has a lock back and plastic handle?
    I think they're good knives, although I prefer other knives to them. I have owned their "plastic handle" and "aluminum handle" knives, and they're nice. I don't think they hold an edge as well as my Benchmade's. They're usually a bit thinner in the blade area, so I think the point is a bit more prone to break also. Their serrations are sharp, but I don't think any more sharp than other knives like microtech, benchmade, etc. I'm not a fan of their single beveled blades, I don't think they last nearly as long as their double beveled blades. Even their "stainless" was a bit more prone to rust than some other stainless that I've had. Either way, they're nice knives, but I think there's other quality manufacturers that are just as good or better.

Blade players can be extremely brand loyal, just like shooters. FWIW, I believe Benchmade knives are higher quality, across the board. Im still using an ATS-34 that I bought back in 1996.

(Westmoreland County)

Spyderco makes 2 kinds of knives. Straightforward reliable knives and functional but unique ones, like the civilian. Good knives, tough, reliable good stuff. The cheaper Benchmade line is on par, but tend to have more nifty locks. The more expensive benchmades are better. As stated spyderco serrations are freaking awesome.

Plus the spyderhole was kinda their big thing back in the day. Really when they first caught on they had some forward thinking like the spyderhole. The reputation grew from there. Now everyone has thumbstuds and thumbholes so maybe they are living off of old rep. Quality blades though for sure.

I'd carry one. (but I like benchmade better)

Quote Originally Posted by Wasz View Post
    Spyderco makes 2 kinds of knives. Straightforward reliable knives and functional but unique ones, like the civilian. Good knives, tough, reliable good stuff. The cheaper Benchmade line is on par, but tend to have more nifty locks. The more expensive benchmades are better. As stated spyderco serrations are freaking awesome.

Plus the spyderhole was kinda their big thing back in the day. Really when they first caught on they had some forward thinking like the spyderhole. The reputation grew from there. Now everyone has thumbstuds and thumbholes so maybe they are living off of old rep. Quality blades though for sure.

I'd carry one. (but I like benchmade better)
    Dosen't Spyderco and Benchmade both have a top-shelf line and a cheaper, imported line?

(Montgomery County)

In general, a good knife at a good price.

For me, I have simply never found anything better than the Spyderco thumbhole for comfort and ease of use. It doesn't hang up, doesn't hurt my fingers, provides a controlled close if practiced a bit, and I never miss on opening it - either hand.

I'm extreme old school - I have several of the old out-of production full steel, ultra basic models. I'm not much for "plastic" bodies. - I want the knife to have the right heft in the handle.

Spyderco has a LOT of designs in just about any size, shape, and color you might imagine, including some with some of the more advanced steels.
    Keep perspective, recognize the good in your enemies and the bad in your friends.
    "--you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him." - Robert A. Heinlein, Revolt in 2100

(Lebanon County)

I have a Spyderco Delica from 1990 thats still as good as new, looks great too. It has always been a good solid knife. Mine has gotten minimal use but add 19 years to that! I think I have two or three different Spyderco's.

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    Dosen't Spyderco and Benchmade both have a top-shelf line and a cheaper, imported line?
    I don't think spyderco goes up in price range as high as the BM knives do. I haven't really read up on my bladeforums in a while though so I could be wrong.

(Monroe County)

I am a knife collector, i have over 200 knives in my collection.

If you want a light ,sharp, thin , durable and reliable knife a Spyderco is hard to beat.
    They are a bit overpriced for what you get-cheap zytel plastic and a cheap rivet holding the blade in the handle, BUT they do use good steels in thier blades and they do have good customer service, but they are about $10-$15 overpriced.

As i type, my spyderco Jeff Horn design is clipped to my pocket. Oh yeah, i have never seen onew rust.

As for the other brands, i seem to own them all, theyre good knives too.

Nyman

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast