Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Just got back my PPKS from S&W

I sent it out for a recall April 9th and got it back today July 2nd. The amount of time doesn't matter as long as the gun has been corrected. There was and still is a recall on all S&W PPK's and PPKS's. When a round is chambered and you use the de-cocker it could go off. Mine did not do this but I sent it in anyway. (If something does happen and you didn't send it in, it could be on you) So it's here and it looks like they took good care of it. I just hope it fires well and I don't have any problems with it, as it was fine before I sent it in. Other people are complaining of jams and such. I'll test fire it tomorrow at the Club and will follow this up.
    Anybody else have a PPK or PPKs out for repair or have gotten their gun back that would like to comment please do.

Default Re: Just got back my PPKS from S&W

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Sunrise View Post
    I sent it out for a recall April 9th and got it back today July 2nd. The amount of time doesn't matter as long as the gun has been corrected. There was and still is a recall on all S&W PPK's and PPKS's. When a round is chambered and you use the de-cocker it could go off. Mine did not do this but I sent it in anyway. (If something does happen and you didn't send it in, it could be on you) So it's here and it looks like they took good care of it. I just hope it fires well and I don't have any problems with it, as it was fine before I sent it in. Other people are complaining of jams and such. I'll test fire it tomorrow at the Club and will follow this up.
    Anybody else have a PPK or PPKs out for repair or have gotten their gun back that would like to comment please do.
    It took them a long time to fix it and send it back.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by kaybur View Post
    It took them a long time to fix it and send it back.

ken
    Yes it took a long time. You have to remember they sold a lot of guns that ALL had to be repaired. Not only did it take a long time, but I called almost immediately for the shipping label and didn't receive that until at least a month or so before that. They need to get their stuff together, although they were very friendly. I don't need friends though I just wanted my gun fixed. Walther might want to rethink about S&W letting guns out like that.

Unhappy Re: Just got back my PPKS from S&W

Quote Originally Posted by Tequila Sunrise View Post
    Yes it took a long time. You have to remember they sold a lot of guns that ALL had to be repaired. Not only did it take a long time, but I called almost immediately for the shipping label and didn't receive that until at least a month or so before that. They need to get their stuff together, although they were very friendly. I don't need friends though I just wanted my gun fixed. Walther might want to rethink about S&W letting guns out like that.
    It took them almost 3 months to fix and return your handgun. Is that normal for S&W?? I have a S&W 9mm and I am looking at a S&W pistol to carry. However, I do not want to deal with a company that does not have good customer service. I would rather go with a company that has better service.

Are there better gun companies that have faster turn-around time to fix handguns???

ken

It took them almost 3 months to fix and return your handgun. Is that normal for S&W?? I have a S&W 9mm and I am looking at a S&W pistol to carry. However, I do not want to deal with a company that does not have good customer service. I would rather go with a company that has better service.

Are there better gun companies that have faster turn-around time to fix handguns???

ken
    I don't want to bad mouth S&W. This was a defect in the decocker, in which if you had a round chambered and tried to decock the gun it could fire. It was the PPK and the PPKS S&W versions and a whole lot of guns had to be repaired. Did I like how long it took them to just send the shipping labels? No. It took them almost 6 weeks to get the labels online for download. Do I like how long they took to fix my gun? No. Is it fixed? I don't know because I went to the beach today instead of the gun range so that's yet to be seen. Look as the saying goes, shit happens. Be it a car recall, toy recall, gun recall. It could happen to any gun manufacturer. Do I think they should have tested the gun a little better before they started selling them? Yes absolutely. I think they may have learned a very expensive and valuable lesson. But don't count out S&W when you go looking for a gun. I hope this helps you.

My wait was because of a mass of guns that had to get repaired. Not just a gun here and a gun there trickling in. I think they were overwhelmed. I heard for the PPK they didn't even have the necessary spring available to even start repairing them. Fortunately I have the PPKS. As for them being friendly, they were, but I don't want friends, I wanted my gun back.
    Last edited by Tequila Sunrise; July 3rd, 2009 at 05:37 PM.

Mine was gone from April 8 until July 1. Just got back from the range,
    it works better than before. The repair slip said safety repaired, feed ramp
    polished to our specifications. It used to be unreliable with aftermarket mags.
    now works fine. Yes the long wait did suck.

(Centre County)

It took them almost 3 months to fix and return your handgun. Is that normal for S&W??
    Thats odd. Must be the sear volume of PPK/S recall they are getting.

All of my dealing with S&W in the past was always has been positive one, and real fast one as well.

I recently sent back my early 686 for recall - which recall was originaly issued back in 1987(!).
    I got shipping lable e-mailed to me while I was on phone with them thursday. Gun was shipped out the next day on Friday. Gun was repaired and picked up by me saturday weekafter at local UPS dock(along with 2 curved buttplate for my 2 promotional M&P9C mag i got that they included for free). I could have had gun in my position on friday, but I wasn't home to sign for it.

interesting note - I got letter from S&W stating that they have recieved my weapon for recall repair 2 days AFTER i got my gun back!

I've always had great luck with S&W.
    I got my 2 promotional mags for M&P9C in less then month - but I know others have waited up to 6 months for theirs. I sent one of mag for my M&P9 for broken mag follower, and they sent TWO new ones in less then 10 days.
    I once removed rear sight on my M&P to replace it with tritium rear. wasn't paying attention, and FPBS spring shot out along with back plate. Plate, i found, but spring was gone with wind.
    They expresse mailed replacement spring for free.

I bouch for them and their service and products. I mean.. may be Sig Sauer could take lesson from them...
    Last edited by Mity2; July 3rd, 2009 at 07:22 PM.
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

It's good to hear that PPKs are finally being returned from S&W. I called S&W yesterday since I sent mine in on April 2nd and will be moving in about 3 weeks. Unfortunately, their offices were closed for the holiday, but it looks like mine should be coming back soon.

I actually sent my PPK to S&W about a year ago because of this same issue. While at the range one day, my friend asked to shoot my PPK. Here is his account of the events that transpired.

OK, so I went to the range this afternoon to put some lead downrange. I shot my .22 a few times before my friend brings out his PPK, which he says he has been having some issues with. Apparently, sometimes when he puts the safety on, it doesn’t decock the gun, as it is supposed to. I was trying to figure out what the problem was. The decocker worked fine on an empty mag/chamber, so I decided to try it with ammo. Safety On? Check. Finger off the trigger? Check. Gun pointed in a safe direction? Check. I insert the magazine, rack the slide, and… BOOM.
    It's a good thing we were both handling our guns safely. Although S&W quickly repaired the decocking mechanism on my pistol and returned it, they asked me to return it again after the recall noticed was posted, which concerned me. Hopefully everything is sorted out this time.
    Daniel M. Carrico

Quote Originally Posted by daniel1113 View Post
    It's good to hear that PPKs are finally being returned from S&W. I called S&W yesterday since I sent mine in on April 2nd and will be moving in about 3 weeks. Unfortunately, their offices were closed for the holiday, but it looks like mine should be coming back soon.

I actually sent my PPK to S&W about a year ago because of this same issue. While at the range one day, my friend asked to shoot my PPK. Here is his account of the events that transpired.

It's a good thing we were both handling our guns safely. Although S&W quickly repaired the decocking mechanism on my pistol and returned it, they asked me to return it again after the recall noticed was posted, which concerned me. Hopefully everything is sorted out this time.
    Wow, that's really scary. I don't understand how S&W or any gun company doesn't test, test and retest before they send out any product. Mine did not have this problem as I stated but I sent it back just in case it developed later. Apparently they didn't do what they deemed safe to your gun in the first place. Thus they wanted it back for the corrections. Better safe than sorry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast